To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Powerwashing gutters near electrical service

Squankum

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
8,142
Location
Southeast
I'm in the process of cleaning the long-neglected gutters on my house. They are coated with krunk, an organic buildup of some kind. So much so that rain isn't curling around the lip of the solid top shield and into the gutter below.

Made some fast progress on the other half of the back of the house the other day, but now I am facing the northern half of that long gutter, and I'm facing this. Should I avoid spraying pressure water blast in this area? If I ask the power company to turn off the juice temporarily, well, my power washer is 120V, not gasoline powered.


Left side: mostly already blasted. Right side: krunk.

IMG_3085.jpg


IMG_3098.jpg


Wires don't actually touch anything. Above, the canopy that gives us krunk.

IMG_3099.jpg

Yes, things need painting. Yes, the doves in that nest won't like it.

I also have a deck brush with a wooden handle, and I can, if necessary, get up on the roof for that section and reach down with brush or rag.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
Drape a tarp over the top of all of the conductors and tie it closed with twine or several heavy spring clips.

Don't spray directly at tarp or into the envelope formed by it.
 

Codyboy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2019
Messages
1,781
Location
S.E. TEXAS
If you have to ask you probably shouldn't even get close.
That is some old *** ****. Conductor on the right gas exposed wire or appears that way.
Not sure about that goofy *** weatherhead either.
What is that bakelite?
I wouldn't worry about the gutter gunk and would call an electrician.
I wouldn't call the POCO as they are likely to cut the service out until repairs are made.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250620_172320_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20250620_172320_Chrome.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 68

NightSky

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2024
Messages
802
Location
Southwest OH
Ask your utility if they'll put a temporary (silicone, I think) cover over the cables. You may have seen bright orange covers about a yard long on utility lines at some time in your life. They have both split tubes and sheets. Might help when you're painting the soffit, too.
 

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
Call POCO for a disconnect and reconnect for a specific date time. They cut at the pole, you blast the area, they reconnect.

Just make sure they will reconnect w/o a permit/inspection required. Some POCOs are DHs about reconnecting.

They will charge your account for the d & r.
 

PCustoms

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
23,684
Location
VT
Curious what you all do when it rains at your house?

I wouldn't hesitate to stand at ground level and spray around a weather head. I certainly wouldn't spray the **** out of the wire, but spraying around it to get the gutter wouldn't give me any pause.

That said, the OP needs to re-do his mast, the years have not been kind to that mess.
 

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
Spray with one hand and have other hand on yer ***.
Water changes a lot of "dry" practices". He needs to isolate any exposed areas to prevent water contacting it and trickling back to grounded locations.

Tarp is still practical if you know what you're doing.
 

Codyboy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2019
Messages
1,781
Location
S.E. TEXAS
Call POCO for a disconnect and reconnect for a specific date time. They cut at the pole, you blast the area, they reconnect.

Just make sure they will reconnect w/o a permit/inspection required. Some POCOs are DHs about reconnecting.

They will charge your account for the d & r.
Notice the bare wire on the right?

We never charged for a temp disconnect and reconnect.

But that service would not be reconnected until it was brought up to code.
Which basically just by looking at it would be a whole new meter loop.

Thats why I suggested to call an electrician and not the POCO.

Me, if the customer insisted on a temp disconnect I would fully explain what would have to happen for a reconnect. New meter loop and if in a permit area then that also.

I'm not going to reconnect bare conductors.
A hazard and a liability.
Nope.

Tape it up for the customer probably and have done that a thousand times. ( if they're nice and looks like they can't afford to replace their equipment.

I'll say that I've been on 1000s of calls like this or similar.

Customer calls and said meter pole fell over.

" ok look, here's the deal. If i walk back there and see your meter pole on the ground I have to cut it out. You will have no service until its fixed. Sir, its Christmas eve ... do you want no power until the day or 2 after Christmas?
Do you still want me to go take a look?

Ok fine. Keep the kids away and call an electrician.
 

mikedodge

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2017
Messages
3,028
If you're only pressure washing the gutters go for it, the cables get wet when it rains too. Just don't spray directly at the cable ends where the connections are.

As far as trying to get that updated typically that side of the meter is the power companies responsibility but if they don't see a reason to do anything with it they won't.
 

Codyboy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2019
Messages
1,781
Location
S.E. TEXAS
If you're only pressure washing the gutters go for it, the cables get wet when it rains too. Just don't spray directly at the cable ends where the connections are.

As far as trying to get that updated typically that side of the meter is the power companies responsibility but if they don't see a reason to do anything with it they won't.
Not that I've seen. POCO maintains the service drop and the connections to the meter loop.
After the connections is the customer's responsibility.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250620_215447_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20250620_215447_Chrome.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 51

American Locomotive

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2017
Messages
11,211
Location
Rhode Island
That's how it is here, the POCO only owns the wires up to the weatherhead.

If the service was in good shape, I would say no problem to power washing around that area live. However it appears that one of your hot conductors has all the insulation flaked off it as codyboy zoomed in on. While "only" 120 volts, I would be weary of pressure washing around it.

I would probably get that addressed.
 

Chuckster in NJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
2,451
Location
Hunterdon County NJ
Get a couple of "pool noodles" slice them and you can use them as "snakes" to slide over the wires OR You can just drape a plastic garbage bag over the wires while you wash the gutter.…… Sorta like an umbrella.
 

yatg

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
2,962
Location
Southern Oregon
The "exposed alum" on the right conductor looks to be white paint on the insulation and also the same on the crimp cover.
The insulation looks fine.
White paint or bird poop (nest remnants on downspout), but the spiraling of the wire is visible on the right one. Looks like a whole section of insulation is missing from the crimp to the bottom of the drip loop.

1750522775014.png
 

mikedodge

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2017
Messages
3,028
Not that I've seen. POCO maintains the service drop and the connections to the meter loop.
After the connections is the customer's responsibility.

Guess it depends on location and circumstance. Maybe they're more picky of issues like that because people usually call after there are problems but we've had several cases around here over the years where they were called and they did the repair upto the meter base.
 

Codyboy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2019
Messages
1,781
Location
S.E. TEXAS
White paint or bird poop (nest remnants on downspout), but the spiraling of the wire is visible on the right one. Looks like a whole section of insulation is missing from the crimp to the bottom of the drip loop.

1750522775014.png
Yes that is what I was talking about . If there is any insulation on there it is very thin and probably brittle .
That yellow spot appears to be paint , looks same color as the house.

Curious as to how old that wh is. In 40 years at the POCO I have never seen a bakelite weatherhead. 1940s , older?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
White paint or bird poop (nest remnants on downspout), but the spiraling of the wire is visible on the right one. Looks like a whole section of insulation is missing from the crimp to the bottom of the drip loop.

1750522775014.png
Not seeing it that way.

Both insulated conductors have neutral strand impressions in the insulation. The insulated conductors **** up to each other forming the pair of conductors within the cable. In doing so, the impressions are only present on 3/4 of each insulated conductor. Both the left and right insulated conductor have similar impressions.

Not noticeable today with the much denser xhhw insulation. Today's neutrals in sec-u use larger diameter neutral strands and the pvc jacket is fairly loose.
1750531888627.png
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
If you're only pressure washing the gutters go for it, the cables get wet when it rains too. Just don't spray directly at the cable ends where the connections are.

As far as trying to get that updated typically that side of the meter is the power companies responsibility but if they don't see a reason to do anything with it they won't.
not true with any PoCo Ive dealt with. The service entrance/riser cable is the customers responsibility. PoCo responsibility starts at where the service entrance/riser cable splices to the service drop
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
Not seeing it that way.

Both insulated conductors have neutral strand impressions in the insulation. The insulated conductors **** up to each other forming the pair of conductors within the cable. In doing so, the impressions are only present on 3/4 of each insulated conductor. Both the left and right insulated conductor have similar impressions.

Not noticeable today with the much denser xhhw insulation. Today's neutrals in sec-u use larger diameter neutral strands and the pvc jacket is fairly loose.
1750531888627.png
in your pic of the right conductor, where you label as none, further down you can see impressions on the same section that you labeled as none. so im not 100% certain those are impressions

also the conductor on the left does not have anywhere near the same impressions that the conductor on the right has. in fact i really dont see any at all. it appears smooth to me, nothing like the conductor on the right....

the picture is not very good. perhaps the OP could take a better higher res close up pic for us of each conductor using flash so we can see it better...
 

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
For sure on the picture quality !!!!

I was trying to show that the neutral wrap is not uniformly distributed around the 2 conductors with the left most inset pic. (Not the OPs.)
There is a gap where the neutral strands were not evenly spaced when wound. This too, will contribute to a non uniform pattern of the impressions.

Up until 2 months ago, I had a few scrap pieces of this older stuff. Would have been good to open it up now, but no can do now!

Think of red/white vertical barber pole/candy cane. White is the area free of impressions. Red is where the impressions are.

Draw a white line vertically on the barber pole almost about width of the pole. Think about the red that remains.
 
Last edited:
OP
S

Squankum

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
8,142
Location
Southeast
Sorry about the pictures! I was working in the last hours of the day, with the sun on the other side of the house, which is merciful for me, but not the best visibility. I took better pictures today, didn't even know you guys were asking!

Same thing with the end-of-day hours today, but I got my "Braun" LED light and had a ladder in place already, to get you guys better pics.

Sure, why not Bakelite? I'm guessing the house dates to 1958 or so.
IMG_3120.jpg

Proof once again that these leaves get everywhere.

IMG_3121.jpg


IMG_3122.jpg


I looked at these other wires today and thought, "Oh, sure, cable TV and... and... uh... uh... oh, yeah, telephone. Telephone used to be a wire."
IMG_3123.jpg


No doves were injured in this project. I'm not even sure they're around anymore, the young one got big.

IMG_3124.jpg

I might need to take more pics of those wires, now that I've read your comments.
 

Bert_

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Messages
9,947
Location
NW Iowa
It all looks good to me. It's got some age but is all in good condition.

That insulator is porcelain. You can buy the exact same thing today, will probably be grey instead of brown.
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
to me it looks like black varnish or paint on the right conductor strands just before it enters the splice cover... you can even see what looks like bare conductor about 1/2" from the plastic
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
Because you sprayed water near the electric service?

You gonna call them every time it rains?
youre not keeping up. the discussion was about disconnecting the service which would usually be done by pulling the meter.... that was what my reply was in regards to, NOT for pressure washing or rain. keep up...
 

PCustoms

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
23,684
Location
VT
youre not keeping up. the discussion was about disconnecting the service which would usually be done by pulling the meter.... that was what my reply was in regards to, NOT for pressure washing or rain. keep up...
I guess I missed that too, I thought it was mention that the PoCo would disconnect you for having unsafe wiring, not about pulling the meter on your own
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom