To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Purely academic questions about electric fence

vavet

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
5,367
Location
Ashland, VA
Our recent trip to universal studios Florida and the “warning” signs around the velociraptor cages got me wondering about electric fences.
how do they work?
it seems there is a voltage potential in the fence wires. The other side of the transformer is put into earth ground. If a human or other animal touches the electrified wire, they complete the otherwise open circuit and the low current runs through their body between the point of contact with the fence and the earth.
sounds good….but not all shoes are conductive, right?
if I was to walk up to it, stand on a piece of wood, and grab the fence wire with one or both hands, then I would feel nothing, right?

Something tells me my understanding is a bit off.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

LOW1

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2018
Messages
2,720
Location
ontario
Our recent trip to universal studios Florida and the “warning” signs around the velociraptor cages got me wondering about electric fences.
how do they work?
it seems there is a voltage potential in the fence wires. The other side of the transformer is put into earth ground. If a human or other animal touches the electrified wire, they complete the otherwise open circuit and the low current runs through their body between the point of contact with the fence and the earth.
sounds good….but not all shoes are conductive, right?
if I was to walk up to it, stand on a piece of wood, and grab the fence wire with one or both hands, then I would feel nothing, right?

Something tells me my understanding is a bit off.
When I was a kid I saw my brother pee on an electric fence. That would be the only proper way to test your theory.
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
First consider that the animals that electric fences are ment to control do not wear shoes. You are correct that if your insulated from the ground path then you will feel no current flow. The fence charger is like a distributor and coil setup for a spark plug. The current is not constant but pulsed and controlled by somthing that makes and brakes the current flow through the coil. Our old fence charger looked like electric meter and had a glass vial in it that rocked back and forth with a bit of mecury in it that made the contact as it passed the probes in the vial making and breaking the circuit. As a kid it thought it was magical to see the spark it made.

lg
no neat sig line
 

scooby074

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
5,336
Location
Nova Scotia
7kv+ will still shock yaeven with rubbersoles , lol. Plus the leaves of grass etc providing alternative pathways.

Circuit is basically + side of the fencer to the wire, - To a ground rod.. when u touch the wire, current goes through your hand, body, to ground.

Funny thing is when you touch the wire between pluses and dont get a shock, so u go back and touch it again but hold your hand there morefirmly "to check the fence". Then the damn thing fires lol
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

nadogail

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
32,457
Location
Coronado, CA
Electric Fences have no need to be physically strong; it may be a shocking revelation, you can trust me on that.
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
Electric Fences have no need to be physically strong; it may be a shocking revelation, you can trust me on that.
You obviously have not had fence torn up by deer. Sorry, but trust in your statement is low.

lg
no neat sig line
 

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
The last time I touched an electric fence, I was wearing rubber soled shoes and I definitely got a shock.
A lot of that will depend on the moisture content. Walking up on an efence early morning with the due all over your shoes and pants will light you up.
In a tumbleweed, dust-bowl pasture in mid-afternoon is probably not so bad.

As a kid, I remember having contests to see who could hang on the longest. I wonder how many of us today would croak!!
 

mm08822

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
6,338
Location
NJ
And I thought I was the only one who ever took that Dare while walking home from Grade School. It felt like a barbed rod was shoved Waaayyy up my dipstick.

Thanks for bringing that painful memory back. lol........

LZ
That was the old-school way of checking your electrolyte level.

Getting lit up on the ear while climbing through was just as bad.....poor man's shock therapy.
 

paulsomlo

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2013
Messages
3,996
Location
Northern Colorado
If I was to walk up to it, stand on a piece of wood, and grab the fence wire with one or both hands, then I would feel nothing, right?
I don't believe that's correct - as larry_g mentioned, the high voltage is created by making and breaking the current to a transformer, what's known as a "flyback" circuit. You don't need conductivity to receive a shock because your body has enough capacitance to ground to allow current to flow.

If your supposition were correct, you'd be able to stick your finger in an electrical receptacle (only 110V) while wearing sneakers and not get a shock.
 

MBfreak

MEMBER EMERITUS
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
2,301
Location
Linkoping , Sweden
The "shock" from an electric fence is a sharp peak of several kV. Very short. So you will not need and ohmic conduction thru your shoes.
A capacitor between the sole of your feet thru a dielectric( like a capacitor) shoe to ground will conduct the short peak thru your body.
Certainly not a dangerous current peak, but it will rattle you.

Ola
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom