To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Review of Autoenginuity scan tool

ATTappman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
393
Here’s my review of the Autoenginuity scan tool along with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Background: I’m not a professional auto tech, I’m an engineer. I have two Nissans and a Honda. Most of the work I do is on my 1997 Nissan Maxima. Along with the generic OBD2 features, I wanted AE so I could: 1) pull DTCs and display live data from enhanced powertrain, SRS, transmission, and airbag systems, 2) graph live data, 3) display decoded mode 6 data, 4) record and playback live data.

I ordered the software directly from the AE site back on January 30. They neglected to send me the USB key that enables the Nissan expansion, but a phone call corrected that. Along with the USB key they sent me activation codes that didn't work, requiring another phone call. These were glitches I wasn't expecting, but they weren't too troublesome.

In generic OBD2 mode, AE connected fine to my cars, and other than being slow to connect, also worked as expected. It retrieved and decoded mode 6 data, but very slowly - it seemed to take about two minutes to enumerate all the TIDs/CIDs and then it runs down the list, taking about 5-10 seconds to retrieve the value of each TID/CID, one after the other.

The trouble started when I tried to use the enhanced Nissan expansion. First, you have to read the manual closely to discover that you have to change the Initialization Type in the Vehicle Communication Configuration to "Non-OBDII-only" when any system other than generic powertrain is selected. If you don't do that, it won't connect. If you then leave that setting at "Non-OBDII-only" and try to connect to the generic powertrain system, AE gives you an error saying that you can't use non-OBD2 initialization for generic OBD2. Makes sense, but if the software already knows the difference between initializing generic OBD2 and anything else, why can’t it simply change that initialization setting for you? Annoying, but at least it was documented. I also couldn't get AE to auto-detect the Vehicle Interface Type on any of my vehicles. I had to set it manually.

When I connected to my 1997 Maxima, it tried to pull DTCs for four non-generic systems. I had no DTCs, so I attempted to look at the live data for the enhanced powertrain system. AE said there were 32 sensors, but no list of sensors appeared. There were no errors or any indication of what went wrong. Irksome. Then I switched the system to automatic transmission,
and this time I was happy to get a list of sensors. But when I clicked on a few of them to get live data values in the Live Data Grid, all I got was "No data." Again, no error messages. I emailed AE customer support, using their web form. I got an automated response telling me to reply with all the information I already sent them, and also include the AE log file, even though the web form doesn't tell you to do that. OK, so I have to go back out to the car and go through the whole process over again, generate the log file this time, and email it back to them. A day later, here's the response I get: "We don't have ECM TCM tables for the Maxima. Reading DTCs is the only thing that will work for that engine." But their web site says full enhanced powertrain coverage for 1996-2011 with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Disappointing that this isn't really true.

A couple of months go by, and the MIL illuminates on my Maxima. I use AE to pull the DTCs - P0130 bank 1 O2 sensor 1. I expect to be able to see the freeze frame data associated with the DTC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Either it's not there, or it's not obvious how to display it. No problem, I'll look at the O2 sensor display while the car’s idling. The upstream O2 sensors on both banks seem to be switching normally during idle. I decide I'll turn on data logging and take it for a test drive, and see if anything shows up during playback. I do a 2-minute test drive, take the laptop back inside, play back my data log, and get - nothing. Nada. The .csv file is empty, except for a header line. I figure I must’ve done something wrong, so I go for another test drive. I drive about 3 minutes, but this time I get only about 17 data points. Thinking I didn't go on a long enough test drive, I go back out for a 10 minute test drive. That should be long enough, I think. But this time I get only about 10 data points. Looking closely at the .csv file, I see that the points aren't uniformly spaced in time. It looks like AE is recording for a few seconds, then not recording, then recording another second, etc., then just stopping for no apparent reason. The data logging feature is totally useless.

I can't remember things accurately enough to list all the little ways the software is annoying, but here are a few general observations: it takes much longer to connect than my Actron scanner, it takes much longer to retrieve DTCs, much longer to clear the MIL, much longer to get the list of mode 6 TIDs/CIDs. It occasionally fails to connect. It’s crashed a couple of times. The design of the interface is like something from the Windows 95 era. Particularly irritating is the method for changing the scale of a graph on the Live Data Graph page. To graph a sensor value, you select the sensor from a dropdown box. If you want to change the scale on the graph, what do you expect to do? Click the axis, double-click the axis, right-click on the axis, right-click on the graph - none of that works. Instead, you have to click the arrow on the sensor selection dropdown box, then select "Configure sensor." This is completely unintuitive. The selection of the sensor should be done in one combobox, and the axis scaling done by interacting with the axis or the graph, not the sensor. I'm not configuring a sensor, I'm configuring the scale on a graph. If you insist on calling it sensor configuration, why not just put a button at the top? Since I've already selected a sensor, it's clear which one I want to configure, and why would it occur to me to go back to the sensor selection box to configure the sensor I already selected? This is the kind of bad design that gets a piece of software described as crapulent.

The graphs commit a mortal sin - the x-axis isn’t captioned and there’s no unit of measure. Is it time in seconds? There’s a tab labeled Live Data Graphs (2X) that shows two distinct graphs, one above the other, each of which can display two sensors. There’s another tab labeled Live Data Graphs (4X). Since the 2X tab shows two graphs, would you think the 4X tab shows four graphs? No, it shows one graph, which can display four sensors. I’m baffled by this. What developer would be proud of this? Why not a more flexible design that allows create as many graph windows as you want, with as many sensors as you want, and tile them?

Clicking on the Help menu selection just displays a copy of the PDF manual. Again, laziness on the part of the developers.

In summary, even if this software worked flawlessly it still has a pretty amateurish design that I expect from old shareware from the 90s, not something I paid $400 in 2012 for. And for the vehicle I needed it most for, the enhanced features it was supposed to have don’t even work, so it’s no better than a $200 Actron I already owned. The support was pretty weak - I think it’s one guy running the business out of his house with an assistant or two, and they weren’t very helpful. I'm about as disappointed in this software as I can be. Hopefully they'll agree to my request to return the product for a refund.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Skin

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
11,713
Location
Boston
Given the very hit/miss capabilities of AE, depending on year, make, model, its astounding they dont offer a time limited trial version before dropping hundreds to find out if it even works. Hope you get your refund, at the very least they should give you your money back for the nissan add-on considering that was clearly not as described and they know it.
 

FiendFX

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
812
Location
California
I have AE myself but only the generic version. At first I was baffled on how to use it. Until I called the customer support, they help me understand how to use the software. I concur the communication initiation does takes a while. My innova hand held scanner, $200 can retrieve code faster and shows freeze frame at the same time. In order to see Codes and Freeze Frame, you must scan ALL to retrieve the accumulative information. I'm planning to get the Honda and Toyota expansion soon.The reason why I'm buying their product is because they are the cheapest to offer manufacturer specifics and bi-directional control. Although it didn't work out for you, I doubt they would refund the money. I say ask them all of your questions by phone, not email and hopefully they could guide you step by step. GL
 

MrMark

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
4,626
Location
Southern Cal.
thanks for posting this great review. I was going to get this for Merc with enhanced but probably not now after seeing this.
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2012
Messages
5
I have and use AE about 2-3 times a month, for recreational non-professional purposes. For my application, I purchased the enhanced Ford package to use on my 2003 Super Duty. I am in no way a professional mechanic, software engineer, or otherwise skilled in how to translate the mystical language that electronic programming of cars seems to be.

All of that being said, I have had some pretty good luck with the software. But that is not because the software is intuitive, easy to use, or easy to translate. my luck has all been based on the fact that another forum I frequent, a Ford tuck specific one, has hundreds of users who have purchased the software and done all of the hard work of figuring it out for guys like me. Without that knowledge base to draw from, as well as their nearly instantaneous responses to my questions about data runs to conduct, I never would have touched AE.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, OP.
 
OP
A

ATTappman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
393
I was browsing the manual to see if I overlooked something, and thought this excerpt was worth sharing (boldfacing is mine, to draw attention to the tortured English):

"To configure the minimum and maximum range, scaling value, units, sampling rate, and audible alert triggers, select Configure Sensor from the drop-down list from which the sensor combo box you would like to configure."

Whoever wrote that must've had a mouth full of marbles. He meant to say "select Configure Sensor in the combo box you used to select the sensor."

He could have added: "This will be unexpected, because Configure Sensor was not in the dropdown list when you first selected a sensor. Configure Sensor appears only after you select a sensor. You might not think to look in the list of sensors for an action to perform on a sensor, especially when what you really want to configure is the graph and not the sensor, so we're making sure you know about this little quirk."

Again, these little boo-boos wouldn't be so annoying if the software actually functioned as advertised.
 

FiendFX

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
812
Location
California
If only there was a scan tool out there that has bi-directional controls, live data, graphing mode, reads all modules, reads Modes 6 for under $800, New.
 

babyjay8495

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
52
I've used the AE for a few years now and have been pretty pleased with it. I purchased the GM enhancements and I feel that it has already paid for itself. While the basic AE is no better than most handhelds, the enhancements are what make the difference. While not cheap, it's more affordable than other options. You can see so much more with the enhanced. I had a code on my Silverado, there was even a TSB out on the code and I replaced the part and check engine light still on, purchased the enhanced and found out my fuel tank pressure sensor was bad, the voltage was reading out of range, no way a generic could of told me that.
 

zakmartin

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2012
Messages
620
Location
Seattle, WA
If you want bi-directional support on an old Nissan, just get an older model Consult clone on fleabay. If your 1997 Maxima uses a 14pin RS232 cable connection, the tool is only about $20.
 
OP
A

ATTappman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
393
Update to my review:

I was able to make data logging work by choosing the two O2 sensors in the Live Data Grid, selecting Configure Sensor for each one, and increasing the sample rate from the default of 2 ms to 500 ms.

Autoenginuity tech support responded to my email three days after I sent it. He made these points: 1) enhanced Nissan coverage is advertised for model years 00-11, so a 97 will not have full capability. 2) the data logging failure was a hardware problem, 3) the unavailability of freeze frame data was a known issue, but had only been seen on Jaguars, 4) they would not refund my payment but would offer to swap the Nissan expansion for a Honda expansion, since I had mentioned I also owned a Honda.

As I said above, data logging was fixed by slowing the sampling rate, but that was my idea - it was not suggested by tech support. In a subsequent email he confirmed that this was the right solution. He sent me a patched version that solved the freeze frame issue, and asked me to try it and let him know how it went. The patched version worked and I was able to retrieve freeze frame data. I said no thanks to the Honda-Nissan swap offer, as I also have a 2011 Nissan truck, for which the Nissan expansion works well.

I had several email exchanges with tech support, and as a result I feel much better about the software than I did before, and also have more respect for their tech support.
 

Arisley

New member
Joined
Apr 22, 2015
Messages
1
I have and use AE about 2-3 times a month, for recreational non-professional purposes. For my application, I purchased the enhanced Ford package to use on my 2003 Super Duty. I am in no way a professional mechanic, software engineer, or otherwise skilled in how to translate the mystical language that electronic programming of cars seems to be.

All of that being said, I have had some pretty good luck with the software. But that is not because the software is intuitive, easy to use, or easy to translate. my luck has all been based on the fact that another forum I frequent, a Ford tuck specific one, has hundreds of users who have purchased the software and done all of the hard work of figuring it out for guys like me. Without that knowledge base to draw from, as well as their nearly instantaneous responses to my questions about data runs to conduct, I never would have touched AE.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, OP.

I purchased AE for the exact same reason but an Early 99 Superduty. It has payed for itself many times over. I use it on the wife's Lincoln LS also. The Ford enhanced package covers Lincolns also. I also bought the Dodge enhanced package to use on my 2003 Durango, it has worked like a champ on it.
 

jmerritt

New member
Joined
Aug 28, 2016
Messages
1
I have had this scan tool for about seven years and got the Ford enhancement.
It does a nice job of providing error codes and associated information but it falls far short of what I guess I was expecting for this kind of tool with its hefty price tag. It won't do ABS purging for Ford ABS systems, at least not on my 2003 Town Car. This is just one example of its shortcomings. It seems to be a "one way" only system in that it only gives info and won't allow commands to any auto subsystem. I asked about the $200+ Honda module and what its capabilities are and was told it is basically the same as the Ford. Again, my feeling is that when you pay what this tool costs it should be more than just a reporting tool.
 

scootcharles

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2016
Messages
8
Here’s my review of the Autoenginuity scan tool along with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Background: I’m not a professional auto tech, I’m an engineer. I have two Nissans and a Honda. Most of the work I do is on my 1997 Nissan Maxima. Along with the generic OBD2 features, I wanted AE so I could: 1) pull DTCs and display live data from enhanced powertrain, SRS, transmission, and airbag systems, 2) graph live data, 3) display decoded mode 6 data, 4) record and playback live data.

I ordered the software directly from the AE site back on January 30. They neglected to send me the USB key that enables the Nissan expansion, but a phone call corrected that. Along with the USB key they sent me activation codes that didn't work, requiring another phone call. These were glitches I wasn't expecting, but they weren't too troublesome.

In generic OBD2 mode, AE connected fine to my cars, and other than being slow to connect, also worked as expected. It retrieved and decoded mode 6 data, but very slowly - it seemed to take about two minutes to enumerate all the TIDs/CIDs and then it runs down the list, taking about 5-10 seconds to retrieve the value of each TID/CID, one after the other.

The trouble started when I tried to use the enhanced Nissan expansion. First, you have to read the manual closely to discover that you have to change the Initialization Type in the Vehicle Communication Configuration to "Non-OBDII-only" when any system other than generic powertrain is selected. If you don't do that, it won't connect. If you then leave that setting at "Non-OBDII-only" and try to connect to the generic powertrain system, AE gives you an error saying that you can't use non-OBD2 initialization for generic OBD2. Makes sense, but if the software already knows the difference between initializing generic OBD2 and anything else, why can’t it simply change that initialization setting for you? Annoying, but at least it was documented. I also couldn't get AE to auto-detect the Vehicle Interface Type on any of my vehicles. I had to set it manually.

When I connected to my 1997 Maxima, it tried to pull DTCs for four non-generic systems. I had no DTCs, so I attempted to look at the live data for the enhanced powertrain system. AE said there were 32 sensors, but no list of sensors appeared. There were no errors or any indication of what went wrong. Irksome. Then I switched the system to automatic transmission,
and this time I was happy to get a list of sensors. But when I clicked on a few of them to get live data values in the Live Data Grid, all I got was "No data." Again, no error messages. I emailed AE customer support, using their web form. I got an automated response telling me to reply with all the information I already sent them, and also include the AE log file, even though the web form doesn't tell you to do that. OK, so I have to go back out to the car and go through the whole process over again, generate the log file this time, and email it back to them. A day later, here's the response I get: "We don't have ECM TCM tables for the Maxima. Reading DTCs is the only thing that will work for that engine." But their web site says full enhanced powertrain coverage for 1996-2011 with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Disappointing that this isn't really true.

A couple of months go by, and the MIL illuminates on my Maxima. I use AE to pull the DTCs - P0130 bank 1 O2 sensor 1. I expect to be able to see the freeze frame data associated with the DTC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Either it's not there, or it's not obvious how to display it. No problem, I'll look at the O2 sensor display while the car’s idling. The upstream O2 sensors on both banks seem to be switching normally during idle. I decide I'll turn on data logging and take it for a test drive, and see if anything shows up during playback. I do a 2-minute test drive, take the laptop back inside, play back my data log, and get - nothing. Nada. The .csv file is empty, except for a header line. I figure I must’ve done something wrong, so I go for another test drive. I drive about 3 minutes, but this time I get only about 17 data points. Thinking I didn't go on a long enough test drive, I go back out for a 10 minute test drive. That should be long enough, I think. But this time I get only about 10 data points. Looking closely at the .csv file, I see that the points aren't uniformly spaced in time. It looks like AE is recording for a few seconds, then not recording, then recording another second, etc., then just stopping for no apparent reason. The data logging feature is totally useless.

I can't remember things accurately enough to list all the little ways the software is annoying, but here are a few general observations: it takes much longer to connect than my Actron scanner, it takes much longer to retrieve DTCs, much longer to clear the MIL, much longer to get the list of mode 6 TIDs/CIDs. It occasionally fails to connect. It’s crashed a couple of times. The design of the interface is like something from the Windows 95 era. Particularly irritating is the method for changing the scale of a graph on the Live Data Graph page. To graph a sensor value, you select the sensor from a dropdown box. If you want to change the scale on the graph, what do you expect to do? Click the axis, double-click the axis, right-click on the axis, right-click on the graph - none of that works. Instead, you have to click the arrow on the sensor selection dropdown box, then select "Configure sensor." This is completely unintuitive. The selection of the sensor should be done in one combobox, and the axis scaling done by interacting with the axis or the graph, not the sensor. I'm not configuring a sensor, I'm configuring the scale on a graph. If you insist on calling it sensor configuration, why not just put a button at the top? Since I've already selected a sensor, it's clear which one I want to configure, and why would it occur to me to go back to the sensor selection box to configure the sensor I already selected? This is the kind of bad design that gets a piece of software described as crapulent.
o.png


The graphs commit a mortal sin - the x-axis isn’t captioned and there’s no unit of measure. Is it time in seconds? There’s a tab labeled Live Data Graphs (2X) that shows two distinct graphs, one above the other, each of which can display two sensors. There’s another tab labeled Live Data Graphs (4X). Since the 2X tab shows two graphs, would you think the 4X tab shows four graphs? No, it shows one graph, which can display four sensors. I’m baffled by this. What developer would be proud of this? Why not a more flexible design that allows create as many graph windows as you want, with as many sensors as you want, and tile them?

Clicking on the Help menu selection just displays a copy of the PDF manual. Again, laziness on the part of the developers.

In summary, even if this software worked flawlessly it still has a pretty amateurish design that I expect from old shareware from the 90s, not something I paid $400 in 2012 for. And for the vehicle I needed it most for, the enhanced features it was supposed to have don’t even work, so it’s no better than a $200 Actron I already owned. The support was pretty weak - I think it’s one guy running the business out of his house with an assistant or two, and they weren’t very helpful. I'm about as disappointed in this software as I can be. Hopefully they'll agree to my request to return the product for a refund.

much obliged for posting this incredible survey. I was going to get this for Merc with upgraded however most likely not currently subsequent to seeing this.
 

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
I didn't read the full post.....but my impression of AE is that it's incredibly crude in user interface. I own it with full GM package. It starts up oddly and abrasively (just freaks out if it can't connect to a vehicle) and there's no shut down at all..... you just "X" the window closed.

Overall the program works ok for me but I feel like they really phoned it in when trying to make it feel like a "normal" program.

I did once try to do the CKP re-learn procedure on a GM 8.1 (arguably not necessary but it has the capability - supposedly) and it just sat there.....................FOREVER. There's no status update or bar.............no way to know if it's locked up, forgotten about you, or ACTUALLY doing something. I finally unplugged it and nothing was harmed.

Bottom line, I feel AE is supposed to be extremely powerful but it's so crude I really don't know if it is, or what the hell it's doing half the time.

Also, if you read their website it sounds like if your version doesn't work, too bad. They specifically say not to call them, you MUST HAVE purchased a counterfeit version. I've been scared to death of losing my dongle (yeah that sounds bad) or even the OBD-II plug for fear they'll tell me I have to buy a whole new version in the case of the dongle, and I've heard others report the OBD-II plug is nearly as expensive as the entire program.

Bottom line, I don't trust them much but most - if not all - of that is based on hearsay.

One upside: you can copy the CD to a stick or SD card to get it onto a laptop that doesn't have a CD drive. I guess with the dongle they don't care how often you copy it.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

weicm3

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
143
I also had AE a few years ago. It was a BAD decision. I paid >$500 for generic plus BMW enhanced module. The tool is NOT intuitive at all and way overpriced as all others said. It does let you activate/test some car modules but doesn't let you program like all other modern tools do.

I ended up selling the AE tool on CL for a lot less than I paid and went with specific BMW tools that I found on ebay(and way cheaper than AE junk).

Also worth to mention that their customer service *****. The owner Jay was helpful but the other tech support(especially the guy named Bill), he's just a jerk and rude to customer.
 

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
So I realize weicm3 dug this back up, but here's what they say if you lose your connector (note this just plugs into a USB port on your computer and your OBD-II port in your vehicle)

"If you lose, or have stolen, the ProLine VCI (or ProLine w/ Security Dongle) connector, this will constitute the loss of the entire product including the enhancements that are associated with it. You will not be able to purchase a replacement connector from us or anywhere else and transfer to it any enhancements from the original connector. The enhancements are tied to and licensed for the serial number of the connector that was originally shipped with the product. Enhancements can’t be transferred from lost or stolen connectors. Damaged connectors can be repaired or replaced and the enhancements from the original connector can then be transferred to the replacement connector as long as the old connector is returned to us. We must receive Identifiable remains of a ProLine VCI or ProLine connector for this replacement and enhancement transfer to be possible."

REALLY? This just feels like an ******* move. You're paying for the software and the activation codes - a simple cable with two universal plugs should NOT "constitute loss of the entire product."
 

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
Here's what they say if you plug in their codes to get enhanced coverage but it doesn't work:

"All my enhanced options are activated, but I get no coverage?

There are several 'pirated' or 'cracked' versions of our products out on the Internet. If you connect to a vehicle and you get nothing more then Generic OBDII--you may have a pirated version. Your 'pirated' version is worthless as we provide the Generic support for free with all our scan tool packages. Please don't call our technical support for help resolving your enhanced options giving no coverage. We can only solve this by selling you a working copy of the software."

Now I understand piracy is a problem for intellectual property and they have a right to make money on the product they've created. But the above quote seems to absolutely, positively rule out the possibility they could ever make a mistake or their software may not work as intended - - after all, we all know software NEVER has a problem. Ever.

All taken straight from their FAQ's
https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpress/support/faqs/

I just have to believe there are equal or better code readers on the market for equal or less money.
 

MikeF2316

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
9,605
Location
Thornhill, ON
Since one of my cars is a Volvo, and they don't have any "enhanced" stuff for Volvo, I wouldn't consider this. But after reading about them here (and elsewhere) I wouldn't consider them, ever.
 

kythri

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
6,330
Location
Lebanon, OR
Now I understand piracy is a problem for intellectual property and they have a right to make money on the product they've created. But the above quote seems to absolutely, positively rule out the possibility they could ever make a mistake or their software may not work as intended - - after all, we all know software NEVER has a problem. Ever.

They do keep a record of the hardware ID (scan tool/security dongle), so it's not so much a "you'll never get support if you experience this issue", it's more of a "don't bother trying to get support if you've got a hacked/pirated version".

As far as the license tied to the ProLine connector, it kind of makes sense. You're NOT just paying for the software, you're paying for their OBD2 connector. Can you tell me where one could obtain a generic OBD2 connector that works with AE?

If one loses or has stolen their Snap-On or OTC scan tool, is Snap-On or OTC going to replace it, or charge you for a new one?

Insure your possessions if you're worried about loss or theft.

For the record, Evan and Bill have been nothing but professional and polite when I've had need to contact AE for anything.
 

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
Why must the connector be exclusive to the software? Why can't an allowance be made to use a different connector (still OE of course) in case of loss.

Losing an entire scan tool is much different than losing a USB accy. It's like breaking your mouse and saying you must buy a whole new computer.
 

kythri

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
6,330
Location
Lebanon, OR
Because they chose to bind the license to the connector, as part of their anti-piracy means?

Seriously, though, how hard is it to not lose the AE scan tool? Has any legitimate customer every actually lost the thing?
 

PsRumors

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
626
Location
Cartersville, GA
AE is not the only one using the USB accessory to help stop software piracy, Ross-Tech VCDS for VWs do the same.

I could not imagine losing my cable and expecting the vendor to replace it.
 

WhiffySpark

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
6,252
I also had AE a few years ago. It was a BAD decision. I paid >$500 for generic plus BMW enhanced module. The tool is NOT intuitive at all and way overpriced as all others said. It does let you activate/test some car modules but doesn't let you program like all other modern tools do.

I ended up selling the AE tool on CL for a lot less than I paid and went with specific BMW tools that I found on ebay(and way cheaper than AE junk).

Also worth to mention that their customer service *****. The owner Jay was helpful but the other tech support(especially the guy named Bill), he's just a jerk and rude to customer.

Most modern scan tools don't program. You can do some odds and ends but you can program anything like a pcm, bcm, etc. not even the versus does that. For that you need a mongoose or similar. We ran a mongoose through a verus for a while
 

Danglerb

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
9,736
Location
SoCal
I bought the AE with Ford expansion a few years ago, it basically never did what I wanted and was just flat taking too much time to sort out. In the middle of my warranty license whatever agreement they upped security to require the dongle as well as the special adapter. IMHO I don't give a rats behind about their piracy problem, they screwed their product trying to solve it.

An $8 OBD II bluetooth adapter and Torque on my phone are what I use now.

Anybody thinking about the AE and Ford expansion drop me a PM and I will look into what it takes time and money to upgrade to current and transfer my license if I can get some reasonable portion of my original cost, but still lots less than AE.
 

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
Because they chose to bind the license to the connector, as part of their anti-piracy means?

Seriously, though, how hard is it to not lose the AE scan tool? Has any legitimate customer every actually lost the thing?

Bingo! They chose to!

Instead they could market this as an advantage: because our product is more modular, ie software on your laptop and a separate connector, it's more "serviceable" in the event of loss or damage, vs losing an entire standalone scan tool.

The base AE package is around $200 (I believe I'm rounding down for easy math). If they wanted to charge $200 for a connector, I could see that.

Now each manufacturer package is also around $200 (again for the sake of easy math). So say as a tech you buy the Big 3 plus Toyota.....you're into it a grand. Then lose that tiny black box w a cable and you're out a grand? It doesn't have to be this way, they chose to.

Seriously, how unrealistic is it in a shop environment to lose a connector?? Or roadside? For the moment I carry it w me 'cause it's presently all I have to get every problem that might occur w our '08 LMM. But it's really a PITA to pull out a laptop and the associated cabling, hope like hell the connector AND the dongle are in the bottom of the laptop bag...boot up the laptop all while I'm on the side of Wolf Creek Pass w traffic buzzing my driver door and an 800' drop to my right (don't drop that dongle!!).

I'm w Dangler - I need to investigate BT....and let's face it: dropping my phone into the abyss would be FAR cheaper than having to replace AE. ;)
 

kythri

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
6,330
Location
Lebanon, OR
:rolleyes:

How often are people deploying a professional-level scan tool on a busy highway with a 800' drop-off on the side? I mean, seriously? Who's doing this, and who's doing this from outside the vehicle?

If you drop your Genisys or Solus down an 800' ravine, is OTC or Snap-on going to replace it? Your analogy to a broken mouse doesn't hold, since the USB "accessory" IS the scan tool. Sure, AE chose to bind the software to the tool, just like OTC or Snap-on chose to build their tool as an all-in-one nice, compact, easy to steal package.

I said it once, I'll say it again: Insure your property for it's proper value. Then if you lose it or it gets stolen, you can file a claim and replace it.

Anyhow, obviously, AE isn't the tool for you. Your issues with it, however, aren't necessarily faults that the majority of customers find, and some boilerplate about pirated software doesn't indicate that the company has left legitimate customers high and dry.
 
Last edited:

Ign

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,769
Location
Butte Peak ND
I bought the AE with Ford expansion a few years ago, it basically never did what I wanted and was just flat taking too much time to sort out. In the middle of my warranty license whatever agreement they upped security to require the dongle as well as the special adapter. IMHO I don't give a rats behind about their piracy problem, they screwed their product trying to solve it.

An $8 OBD II bluetooth adapter and Torque on my phone are what I use now.

Anybody thinking about the AE and Ford expansion drop me a PM and I will look into what it takes time and money to upgrade to current and transfer my license if I can get some reasonable portion of my original cost, but still lots less than AE.

This raises another interesting problem: I wouldn't mind picking up your Ford package but that's all I need. But since everything is tied to your connector I'd have to have two connectors and two dongles and then - I guess - label them Ford and GM. And I'm guessing I'd need two AE base programs on my laptop, too? Your connector couldn't just serve as a "spare" for me 'cause no - that'd make too much sense.

Their anti-piracy seems to create a side effect of anti-trading legitimate product in the private market. So again, might as well just get a standalone scan tool that'll be faster, easier to use and better user interface (if anyone here has never fired up AE, trust me - you'll be underwhelmed).

It's good the thread got revived - people researching can read the opinions here and make their own decision. If you choose AE, "Good Luck" (Marco from Tropoja)

In all fairness, it does work, and a 36t raised panel Craftsman ratchet does work as a ratchet, too!
 

MikeF2316

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
9,605
Location
Thornhill, ON
I can think of an easy way for a DIYer to lose the hardware. You could have a problem, buy the tool, fix your problem, then go for years without needing it. Throw a move into the mix, and something like this could easily be lost.
 

Higgins

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
1,971
Location
Shepheardsville, KY
Here’s my review of the Autoenginuity scan tool along with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Background: I’m not a professional auto tech, I’m an engineer. I have two Nissans and a Honda. Most of the work I do is on my 1997 Nissan Maxima. Along with the generic OBD2 features, I wanted AE so I could: 1) pull DTCs and display live data from enhanced powertrain, SRS, transmission, and airbag systems, 2) graph live data, 3) display decoded mode 6 data, 4) record and playback live data.

I ordered the software directly from the AE site back on January 30. They neglected to send me the USB key that enables the Nissan expansion, but a phone call corrected that. Along with the USB key they sent me activation codes that didn't work, requiring another phone call. These were glitches I wasn't expecting, but they weren't too troublesome.

In generic OBD2 mode, AE connected fine to my cars, and other than being slow to connect, also worked as expected. It retrieved and decoded mode 6 data, but very slowly - it seemed to take about two minutes to enumerate all the TIDs/CIDs and then it runs down the list, taking about 5-10 seconds to retrieve the value of each TID/CID, one after the other.

The trouble started when I tried to use the enhanced Nissan expansion. First, you have to read the manual closely to discover that you have to change the Initialization Type in the Vehicle Communication Configuration to "Non-OBDII-only" when any system other than generic powertrain is selected. If you don't do that, it won't connect. If you then leave that setting at "Non-OBDII-only" and try to connect to the generic powertrain system, AE gives you an error saying that you can't use non-OBD2 initialization for generic OBD2. Makes sense, but if the software already knows the difference between initializing generic OBD2 and anything else, why can’t it simply change that initialization setting for you? Annoying, but at least it was documented. I also couldn't get AE to auto-detect the Vehicle Interface Type on any of my vehicles. I had to set it manually.

When I connected to my 1997 Maxima, it tried to pull DTCs for four non-generic systems. I had no DTCs, so I attempted to look at the live data for the enhanced powertrain system. AE said there were 32 sensors, but no list of sensors appeared. There were no errors or any indication of what went wrong. Irksome. Then I switched the system to automatic transmission,
and this time I was happy to get a list of sensors. But when I clicked on a few of them to get live data values in the Live Data Grid, all I got was "No data." Again, no error messages. I emailed AE customer support, using their web form. I got an automated response telling me to reply with all the information I already sent them, and also include the AE log file, even though the web form doesn't tell you to do that. OK, so I have to go back out to the car and go through the whole process over again, generate the log file this time, and email it back to them. A day later, here's the response I get: "We don't have ECM TCM tables for the Maxima. Reading DTCs is the only thing that will work for that engine." But their web site says full enhanced powertrain coverage for 1996-2011 with the enhanced Nissan expansion. Disappointing that this isn't really true.

A couple of months go by, and the MIL illuminates on my Maxima. I use AE to pull the DTCs - P0130 bank 1 O2 sensor 1. I expect to be able to see the freeze frame data associated with the DTC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Either it's not there, or it's not obvious how to display it. No problem, I'll look at the O2 sensor display while the car’s idling. The upstream O2 sensors on both banks seem to be switching normally during idle. I decide I'll turn on data logging and take it for a test drive, and see if anything shows up during playback. I do a 2-minute test drive, take the laptop back inside, play back my data log, and get - nothing. Nada. The .csv file is empty, except for a header line. I figure I must’ve done something wrong, so I go for another test drive. I drive about 3 minutes, but this time I get only about 17 data points. Thinking I didn't go on a long enough test drive, I go back out for a 10 minute test drive. That should be long enough, I think. But this time I get only about 10 data points. Looking closely at the .csv file, I see that the points aren't uniformly spaced in time. It looks like AE is recording for a few seconds, then not recording, then recording another second, etc., then just stopping for no apparent reason. The data logging feature is totally useless.

I can't remember things accurately enough to list all the little ways the software is annoying, but here are a few general observations: it takes much longer to connect than my Actron scanner, it takes much longer to retrieve DTCs, much longer to clear the MIL, much longer to get the list of mode 6 TIDs/CIDs. It occasionally fails to connect. It’s crashed a couple of times. The design of the interface is like something from the Windows 95 era. Particularly irritating is the method for changing the scale of a graph on the Live Data Graph page. To graph a sensor value, you select the sensor from a dropdown box. If you want to change the scale on the graph, what do you expect to do? Click the axis, double-click the axis, right-click on the axis, right-click on the graph - none of that works. Instead, you have to click the arrow on the sensor selection dropdown box, then select "Configure sensor." This is completely unintuitive. The selection of the sensor should be done in one combobox, and the axis scaling done by interacting with the axis or the graph, not the sensor. I'm not configuring a sensor, I'm configuring the scale on a graph. If you insist on calling it sensor configuration, why not just put a button at the top? Since I've already selected a sensor, it's clear which one I want to configure, and why would it occur to me to go back to the sensor selection box to configure the sensor I already selected? This is the kind of bad design that gets a piece of software described as crapulent.

The graphs commit a mortal sin - the x-axis isn’t captioned and there’s no unit of measure. Is it time in seconds? There’s a tab labeled Live Data Graphs (2X) that shows two distinct graphs, one above the other, each of which can display two sensors. There’s another tab labeled Live Data Graphs (4X). Since the 2X tab shows two graphs, would you think the 4X tab shows four graphs? No, it shows one graph, which can display four sensors. I’m baffled by this. What developer would be proud of this? Why not a more flexible design that allows create as many graph windows as you want, with as many sensors as you want, and tile them?

Clicking on the Help menu selection just displays a copy of the PDF manual. Again, laziness on the part of the developers.

In summary, even if this software worked flawlessly it still has a pretty amateurish design that I expect from old shareware from the 90s, not something I paid $400 in 2012 for. And for the vehicle I needed it most for, the enhanced features it was supposed to have don’t even work, so it’s no better than a $200 Actron I already owned. The support was pretty weak - I think it’s one guy running the business out of his house with an assistant or two, and they weren’t very helpful. I'm about as disappointed in this software as I can be. Hopefully they'll agree to my request to return the product for a refund.
WoW thanks
 

dnschmidt

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2014
Messages
7,360
Location
Phoenix, AZ
This review was from 13 years ago. Why do people keep resurrecting old threads that are no longer of any real value? Don't you think they might have improved something in 13 years? WORTHLESS. If it sucked that bad they would have been out of business by now and at last look they aren't.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom