To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

SK 3/8 90T v Snap On F80

48548

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
4,036
Location
Phoenix
In the pictures, I don't see the metal ball that goes on the other end of the spring... At least mine had a ball that I think went on the back side of the spring and the pointed metal piece for the pawl on the other side.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

NoahG

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,095
Location
Detroit, MI
To answer a couple of questions above: yes we will continue to make the round head, as well as a dual-pawl insert for round heads for a narrower arc-swing, and yes, we will be rolling out other configurations, including flex head models. There is talk internally of making a knurled example, but that's not confirmed.

Well I just bought the new 90T, but if it comes out in a knurled handle, guess ill be owning two. :thumbup:
 

Jarhead0408

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2012
Messages
5,842
Location
Who knows?
To answer a couple of questions above: yes we will continue to make the round head, as well as a dual-pawl insert for round heads for a narrower arc-swing, and yes, we will be rolling out other configurations, including flex head models. There is talk internally of making a knurled example, but that's not confirmed.

Sounds great Eric. Has the management at SK given any thought to producing a 24" long, 1/2" drive ratchet similar to offerings by Snap On, Matco, Cornwell, and Mac? If SK does produce a comparable ratchet, you'll likely need to come up with a comfort grip model.
 

Dave455

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Messages
5,878
Location
Sussex, England
Hmm! I have to say I really like the look of that! The slightly greater length is nice for modern fasteners and I really like the smooth slick look of the handle - not sure I want it knurled!

The smooth handle is going to be totally practical in the real world with fluids grease and grit around, and it looks like some of the sharp corners have been eased too. Somebody has actually thought about this!
 

Spacey_G

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2015
Messages
492
and yes, we will be rolling out other configurations, including flex head models.
I think I mentioned it before, but note that with the demise of Armstrong there's a giant gaping hole in the market for a quality USA made locking flex head with a solid lock. If the popularity of the Armstrong 1X-994 ratchets is any indication, there'd be serious demand for an SK version with the 90 tooth head.
 

SK-Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2014
Messages
237
Location
Elkhorn City, Ky
If a knurled version of the SK 80200 is made I will also own 2. As I already bought the 80200, very impressed, actually gave it to my son & buying another for myself.
 

Infinia

Banned
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
845
Location
SoCal
There is talk internally of making a knurled example, but that's not confirmed.
Tool up for it and release to production!

An example? didn't we see a picture of that in another thread.
SK needs to differentiate themselves from the crowd E.g. who needs another snap-on style ratchet handle.
.
.
 
Last edited:

Wamsutta

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
10,997
Location
Amarillo, Texas
SK needs to differentiate themselves from the crowd E.g. who needs another snap-on style ratchet handle.

Actually, the Snap-on style ratchet handle is a great shape, but Snap-on could do better by taming down the sharp grooves or eliminate them all together.
 

ihateminimumwage

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
3,964
SK needs to differentiate themselves from the crowd E.g. who needs another snap-on style ratchet handle.
This I totally agree with. Everything out there has pretty much the same feel and has been going with being a F80 clone. The biggest difference in most ratchets now is whether the plate is held with screws or a clip.

Old school MAC knurled pearheads are one of my all time favorite ratchets to hold, but the 30 tooth mechanism is awful.

I don't think there are ANY high tooth count USA made fully knurled handle pearheads out there.:headscrat
 
Last edited:

cherrybomb

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2016
Messages
901
Location
Near Madison Wi.
Nice pics and descriptions, I've always had a soft spot for SK tools,I'm happy they are back and aggressively going after a market share.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

wrenchr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
11,603
Location
Michigan
To answer a couple of questions above: yes we will continue to make the round head, as well as a dual-pawl insert for round heads for a narrower arc-swing, and yes, we will be rolling out other configurations, including flex head models. There is talk internally of making a knurled example, but that's not confirmed.

Suggestion, make as many variations as possible. :thumbup: I bought the 90 tooth from HJE and will continue to buy new versions. Also looking forward to the round head update.
 

Kev442

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
5,386
Location
Wi
Another buyer here waiting for the knurled handle. Got enough of the other knockoff styles already as I just bought GW 84/120s last year.
 

Yankee

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2012
Messages
266
Location
Midwest
How does the SK compare with the Armstrong 88?

Looks similiar, just curious.....

I have the Armstrong and the Snap On Dual 80, The Armstrong had less back drag, but the Dual 80 just felt stronger...
 

1950mercury

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
2,246
Location
metro detroit
My brother just bought 2 from hje. I'm not impressed. If you push the switching lever to the left it clicks and locks the ratchet up. Both of his radomly lock up. Are they both defects? He is a die hard sk guy and even he will admit the dual 80 is better
 

Wamsutta

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
10,997
Location
Amarillo, Texas
My brother just bought 2 from hje. I'm not impressed. If you push the switching lever to the left it clicks and locks the ratchet up. Both of his radomly lock up. Are they both defects? He is a die hard sk guy and even he will admit the dual 80 is better

Some guy that made a video about them said you got to stretch out the spring that's inside the compartment.
 

bbrins

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
304
Location
MD
Although I really like my new SK ratchet, I did need to add some lubrication to make it shift smoothly. The gear had some oil on and under it, but everything behind the pawl was pretty much dry, I added a couple of drops of Super Lube oil, and shifting was greatly improved.

Since we have SK in in the thread, I would like to add another vote for a knurled version. Another thing I wouldn't mind, bring back the 3870, a 1/4 drive version would be nice as well, maybe pair them with the soon to be released dual pawl mechanism.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk
 

02Xterra

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
525
Location
Lynchburg, Va
My brother just bought 2 from hje. I'm not impressed. If you push the switching lever to the left it clicks and locks the ratchet up. Both of his radomly lock up. Are they both defects? He is a die hard sk guy and even he will admit the dual 80 is better
Hmm I noticed last night that mine will do this as well

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
 

davethorik

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
4,992
Location
Norka, Ohio
Although I really like my new SK ratchet, I did need to add some lubrication to make it shift smoothly. The gear had some oil on and under it, but everything behind the pawl was pretty much dry, I added a couple of drops of Super Lube oil, and shifting was greatly improved.

Since we have SK in in the thread, I would like to add another vote for a knurled version. Another thing I wouldn't mind, bring back the 3870, a 1/4 drive version would be nice as well, maybe pair them with the soon to be released dual pawl mechanism.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Good luck getting them to. Or even responding. I sent them a FB message about this and they read it but didn't even bother to reply.

As for the twin pawl units, remember Wright has been doing this since the 1960s, so SK needs a little more time to bring them to market.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom