To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Steel or wood legs for a workbench?

billmanweh

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
68
Location
DFW, TX
I'm just about to put together a workbench for the garage

I want something about 30" deep, 7' wide, and tall enough to cover a HF 44" box without the casters

I'm debating doing a generic 2x4 bench, or just do steel legs and either a solid core door or a couple pieces of plywood for the top

any opinions which is preferably?



this is the sort of thing I had in mind for the steel legs (expect I'd add a third leg next to the box;

249507BK_03.jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

brycez28

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
1,346
Location
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
My workbench is about the same size as what you are looking to do. I used 2"x6" for my legs with no issues. I haven't used a workbench with a metal frame like you pictured, but I would be worried about how flimsy it might get if/when you go to move the bench (cheap metal shevles are really nice until you try to move them). Just my opinion. The wood also gives more storage oppertunities because you can easily add hooks to it.
 
OP
B

billmanweh

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
68
Location
DFW, TX
The steel legs look pretty solid to me. Especially if three legs are bolted to the solid top and possibly another piece braced to the back.
 

lynnbilodeau

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2013
Messages
814
Location
Oklahoma
The top of my workbench weighs well over 700 pounds with the vise and the bench grinder, not countiing the **** I pile on it. I have 4x4 wooden legs bolted to the studs in the wal for stability. I used the 4x4 because they were on hand.

Wood is plenty strong.
 

BikerDad

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
975
Location
Utah
Metal is easier to assemble than building a bench. Metal allows you to use magnetic accessories. Wood is easier to add things.

For your top, go with a true solid top. Solid core doors are rarely actually solid, rather they are filled with compacted sawdust. A solid core door on the pictured metal bench will sag. :eyecrazy: :willy_nil

You can laminate your own wood solid top, you can buy one off Craigslist or at Ikea, through Grizzly, etc, you can cheat and find a gluelam on CL, cut and laminate it (which would mean 1-3 pieces to glue up, rather than 8-20), or you can make one using layers of plywood/MDF/MDO. If you go the sheet goods route, I recommend edging it with solid wood and engineering for some additional support. Make the solid wood the same thickness as the main body of the top. Life is much simpler when clamping if you don't have a big honkin' void behind your edge.
 

rsanter

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
18,559
Location
visalia ca
I like the steel as they are adjustable in height if you ever wanted or needed to adjust them.
Where are you. I have a spare workbench with steel legs I am not using

Bob
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
B

billmanweh

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
68
Location
DFW, TX
For your top, go with a true solid top. Solid core doors are rarely actually solid, rather they are filled with compacted sawdust. A solid core door on the pictured metal bench will sag. :eyecrazy: :willy_nil

I do plan to use a third leg in the center to section off the bench and give it more support in the center
 

PCO6

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
4,573
Location
Newmarket, Ontario
I'm just about to put together a workbench for the garage

I want something about 30" deep, 7' wide, and tall enough to cover a HF 44" box without the castersI'm debating doing a generic 2x4 bench, or just do steel legs and either a solid core door or a couple pieces of plywood for the top

any opinions which is preferably?



this is the sort of thing I had in mind for the steel legs (expect I'd add a third leg next to the box;
billmanweh - The structure for my bench is a pallet rack and those are the exact depth and width dimensions. The top extends the bench to 10' which allowed me to put a 2 drawer file cabinet under each end. I have three 27"W International cabinets without casters under my bench.

View media item 38661
 
OP
B

billmanweh

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
68
Location
DFW, TX
billmanweh - The structure for my bench is a pallet rack and those are the exact depth and width dimensions. The top extends the bench to 10' which allowed me to put a 2 drawer file cabinet under each end. I have three 27"W International cabinets without casters under my bench.

View media item 38661

That would be perfect. I've considered the idea, but couldn't find anything that size...
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom