To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Stupid to downsize casters for space reasons?

99paa

New member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
3
Location
San Francisco, CA
So I have a shelf in my garage with about 37" of clearance underneath, and a 48" wide space that would be perfect for a rolling tool cabinet. But most of the good 40-44" rolling cabinets are slightly too tall.

I've found a few cabinets that are 38-39" tall and suit my needs. To make them fit I'd have to replace the 5" casters with I guess 3" ones. Would this be a terrible idea? I would rarely need to roll the cabinet (a few times a year, max) so would mostly need the casters to for support.

Talk me out of this and/or let me know what I should consider. Top candidate for the cabinet now is the blue 41" Homak (the wife approves of the bold color). http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200580683_200580683
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Ehcrain

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
106
Location
Dinwiddie, VA
Take the casters off replace with short feet and use a pallet jack when you need to move it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

matt_i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
10,843
Location
SE Michigan
It will be very noticeable if the cabinet is loaded up. You will want a very hard wheel on the caster, even metal. The pallet jack is a good idea but need 3-1/2" of clear space, plus the assurance that the structure can be picked up nearer to the center where the pallet forks go... I'd consider a riser of 2x4s doubled each side, plus a piece of 3/4" plywood on top, if 4-1/4" will work. I have many small machines and cabinets on such for moving around with the pallet jack.
 

David Paul

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Messages
693
Location
Western New Jersey
I went from I believe 5" casters on a new to me SO box to 3" for the very same reason. Same weight rating and the bolt pattern matched. Don't move the box much but can if I need to. Don't know why you wouldn't. Worked well for me.
 

a52-830

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2016
Messages
4,644
Location
north of boston, massachusetts
as david paul said, as long as you get smaller casters with the same weight rating and bolt pattern, it should not be a big deal. the larger casters are larger to help get over small imperfections in the floor and such if you move the cabinet a lot. if you are only moving it rarely, and there is a good floor, it should not be a problem.

BUT, getting the blue one, which the wife likes, might be a smarter long term choice. letting her have a say in such decisions is often the smartest path.
 

gregtwojeeps

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 30, 2013
Messages
5,096
Location
Ky
Don't know the OP's height but I am just 6'2" and I like the extra tall workbench height given to me when I built it, to where my HF 44 " roll cab went under it ....with its OEM casters still on it.
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Modern Jess

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
1,362
Location
Bay Area, California
I think it's plausible. There are some pretty high capacity 3" casters at McMaster (in fact, I've bought some recently) so it's just a matter of finding ones with the right mount.

Pay special attention (on the mcmaster.com site) to the mount height spec, which is ultimately more important than wheel size for your situation.
 

nes999

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2014
Messages
1,602
Location
IL
Does anyone know the size of the plate on the castor?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 

rsanter

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
18,559
Location
visalia ca
I hardly ever move my toolboxs other than to clean and then not often at that.
I do have a working toolcart that gets moved around a fair amont.

I would say go for it, you can always save the original casters if you have to go back to them

bob
 

mechanic217

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
184
Take the casters off if you need to, one of my SO cabinets I did that to slide it under a bench top that was at the right height, hasn't moved in 25 yrs.
 

gregtwojeeps

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 30, 2013
Messages
5,096
Location
Ky
No way would I drop a loaded 44 in. HF box right on the concrete with no way to get anything under it later to move it. If mine, I would at least put something like these under it. Adjustable from 18 - 28 in. long and 1.25 in. high. 2000 lb. rating at $33.33 a pair from McMaster Carr. JMO


2402t13p1_abbr.png
 
OP
9

99paa

New member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
3
Location
San Francisco, CA
Thanks, all. Just waiting for labor day sales to pull the trigger on the homak cabinet. I'll measure the casters myself - replacements require 330lb capacity per homak. Will also check out the mcmasters options. Raising the shelf isn't an option so small casters us probably my best bet.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom