To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

The Mews Garage, England

OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
A reminder of the existing layout -

-XTwHjd_NW-PCp-nSKzg9w5_Kvn63SxjmTIL2c45t108lLcw-izh8Y_q2sb_-ku8lBN43dN9dkqyfQp6tMHYs2JzRj-lOPH7FOxKHo9ChedH-7GOzTldS3Y4rpRAgZCAhIRHqlTpVkLZwgum_C_aHmoe65oWIMI09ZyNWwnVfC2A-elUJ-kO01Ywrt-SgyafQ3CQ0isIrUciF-Js7HVAOL5EcDg5bsEPdKCAWPgCQLQYZIAhE7aOw4LBYexeoeN9CwX15wlirWmxIrP1nNxcStdWD_kSPO2xR0-_S9Rn-wajSNR7a8I6inmKwYf3Ik08304gRHE3qZvuGopTMvksjAoMyZSHnp_Ud9XOjPzBfe-mRN-EQiNFE72gs5aG2kTsUnDHkXpmbj9AC6YzU9FmxJN9h0XS8D7CS9wiMlSCTwQ5armFtMmnSOZx0suxoHaY8LiMGenqogsmugT0W2mlWB4BUX5cOXp3xBjcgATdx6ROIl0dttibFHpEolxy1g4X0Yu0bci5gSHD8Rl5URyqBbwEOmgFP_dcFav5dfUCk1EOSLrfae5JaIa3lIHzKapxB0FHFrzhCcf42Kp2u5wf9CJxfrIsP_2gjYRJmGE=w590-h484-no


And the proposed layout if my numbers come up...

TmvxSrxeGfn7ah6cqzj2owFQjwgEiS0NC8L_neBDIkPcWWQapzuYoHZKYU_D_IyfoScROmclzxGr7hyoa7hFbJsY-NG82TnfVox6qxUlVyEJwufE8yYdwMOEmQsTwCTFBlwQN2UU6ukDIKCjbr67spiLVikXy7W9cbbIYFovpzpGbo4k-s4SZY3PGpQ4HHWhRz2Azj2_4Xfx1WTa8yzF4dkO54E5tRVT2A-OUkvk9iJXtoN27p8xOtdqpytayFVW3ytMBELFnxYVqAJ7CC2F8yDLJUlYURLLGRw7i4vpIDtSZL2AuvA9YXbcxAqg-4UNvEq-6gZsO8lVJSvoLXl6pfl9VTRldPpAhuPdItsoyPDCh2uSgi8K6IneiEJUVT7Cd30LtXJgp395hgLSyKMGRw7s8sqKV8V0tDWhx3IgT1h5afskNGjcL9n3XXqVCxJoq4Z7qRcbwjoCcK7WZVI71k5RNpXMu5pZi58qTj0xjq9FpD42zrVU6vEv-Kfz3p3PK5FlgprEooIwAmNdQJ0DpwGPHbYZX218-g9V03zCrZvDW9OfT4zfLotDMJfX_A72SytZEKuXoK0jIdfqPk_Kp14TWeOp3PeY38WrnZY=w772-h610-no
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

turbo-systems

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
13
Location
Scotland
Love the garage. I've started to paint my floor but now wondering if i should tile it.
I didn't think it was an option as i put my car on skates for the winter and i did'nt think they would rol on the tiles.

Mine is a fair bit heavier than the caterham. Do you think it would still roll over the tiles?
 

abstamaria

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
1,338
Location
Manila
Wonderful your friend got a Stratos, Felix. They are fun cars.

I like your plan and hope you will be able to accomplish it. As it is, the garage looks great, so you can wait a while..

Andy
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Turbo - My last garage had a painted floor - it's fine for keeping the dust down, but that's all in my opinion. Also the concrete needs to be bone dry for the paint to stick. And it wears out.

So, all in all I would go for the tile again in a flash, the advantages of the warmth and dust control are excellent. Admittedly it's more expensive.

Pushing the Seven was easy - I did it alone, and I am sure you would be fine, just make sure the castors on your skates are as big as possible. I have the rasied coin design tiles, you could go for the smooth ones if you are not sure.

Absolutely the best thing I have ever done in my garage.

Andy - yep I reckon a big lump of 'doing nothing' is on the cards for the time being!
 

turbo-systems

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
13
Location
Scotland
Turbo - My last garage had a painted floor - it's fine for keeping the dust down, but that's all in my opinion. Also the concrete needs to be bone dry for the paint to stick. And it wears out.

So, all in all I would go for the tile again in a flash, the advantages of the warmth and dust control are excellent. Admittedly it's more expensive.

Pushing the Seven was easy - I did it alone, and I am sure you would be fine, just make sure the castors on your skates are as big as possible. I have the rasied coin design tiles, you could go for the smooth ones if you are not sure.

Absolutely the best thing I have ever done in my garage.

Andy - yep I reckon a big lump of 'doing nothing' is on the cards for the time being!



Cheers felix i think i might get the smooth tiles and get them down.
 

hungrymonkey

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
14
Spent a few years in the UK. The one garage I had over there, was an unattached single car.

Space is definatly premium in the UK and conversly, everything is smaller to accomadate. Which was not good for me, since I am a big bloke.
 

Mark H

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
265
Location
West Lothian,Scotland
Mark, your thanks are welcome, I love your 'estate' and the myriad possibilities you have too. My thumbs were itching looking at your cottage, and I am very glad you are turning it into a workshop or garage!

Your post reminds me to mention that deciding which jobs to do yourself, and which to farm out to experts is key to getting a job like this done.

Although I am quite 'handy' I draw the line at cement mixing, and tiling. But working abroad means I have had to get more jobs done by contractors that I would probably tackle myself if the situation were different.

However, it being an older property there are still plenty of jobs for me to do.

The one thing I am still deciding is whether to:

A - Have a single carport on the far side of the yard for the daily driver
B - Have a double timber garage for the daily driver, but this runs the risk of making the yard very tight for getting into the existing garage
C - Build a double garage with loft and workshop running the entire depth of the yard, and turn the existing garage into a new kitchen, and turn existing kitchen into a study. (Very expensive and probably risks planning issues)
D - Convert existing 'L' shaped garage into a true twin with another garage door alongside the existing one. Means relocating the toilet, the boiler, and loads of mess again.
E - Do nothing for the time being!!

I'm desperate to get back to work on the cottage.Problem is,as you've seen in my thread,there's going to be new houses built nearby and I want to get the new building(s) up before new neighbours start bitching and moaning and asking awkward questions at the planning office.The slab for the new garage was poured yesterday.Progress at last!
With regard to your options,I'd go with 'A' and 'D'.Converting the existing garage to a twin would give you a much more usable space and,the car port would keep your daily from cluttering up the garage.
But,in the meantime,I'd go with option 'E'.Take a break,you've earned it!
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Cheers for all the great feedback!

Have you managed any further work Mark? Or is the weather holding you up?

I have just managed to finish the cobbled drive, I have now replaced all the tarmac, concrete and slabs with the cobbles, and opened up the bottom of the drive - it was a bit too tight to turn in there, pics to follow shortly.

Cheers

Ian
 
Last edited:

PeteMoore

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
453
Location
N.Ireland
Felix, your mews progress is a wonderful read. And, it brings back memories of my days in a somewhat similar situation. I had a very tidy little shop in Lancaster Mews, quite the same as your own, although a bit larger. Living quarters were upstairs. At the time, I had a Lotus 20/22 Formula Jr. and I was surrounded by others who were aflicted by the same insanity. Your thread is a trip back in time. Your garage/shop has character of a type that may not be understood by many. It's wonderful in every way with great potential. Please, do keep us updated with words and photos.
Cheery-Bye!!
Bill

Lancaster Mews, Was Brian Archer still there, i would have no issues in donating a testicle or two to live there, purely due to the history surrounding it with John Sprinzel, Sebring, Graham Hill, etc.
 

Thruxton

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
767
Location
Virginia
Ah, I like your plans for expansion very much. The best improvements always look like they have been there since the git-go, or are what should have been done in the first place, and I think this is definitely in one of those categories. The brick pavers are a huge improvement as well. And I have to say, looking at the houses in the row beyond yours, you have upped the tone of the neighborhood quite a bit with your improvements! Look forward to seeing more.
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Pete, the London Mews are fantastic -agreed! I do aspire to owning one if my numbers come up - great properties and with great history.

Martin, thanks for your kind words -I am very keen to do improvements that fit and look right, but also use modern materials if correct to do so. As an example, here's a view of the whole property when I purchased it in 2008, and a view now. I spent a considerable time planning the new windows to look right and to do away with those awful 1970s windows that spoilt the look of the house.


It was the worst house on the street, hopefully now it isn't!
 
Last edited:

Grizz1963

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
12,252
Location
Rochester, KENT. UK
Hi Ian,

That is a great set of changes you brought about.

I know what you mean about worst house in the street.

Also in the UK, it is so strange that someone will have a £10k home entertainment system, but litteraly never cut grass, hedges etc.

Your place looks great now.
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Updates - The Mews Garage, England

Hi all, a long time since the last update, no massive changes, but a few small details while I have time in the garage.

Firstly I found I was working at the worktop over the washing machine rather than the workbench, probably because the car was usually in the way.

So I decided to tidy up the rough brickwork, and create a tool board - I used a french cleat to support the board, and then used magnetic strips for the tools.

r0h3V_0ceGo5jK-LwKevDy_txuFMchqfdFkyu5daAqsQ8FH7Itvrt4ncLIC23WEUjYw_w3px_byDlWWO_MZvjc25iXfb6786HROTuQfxFJTf40JitwFKJdTDHhk6pU4ZYR6ZqZ8auTQbaCI-uJA-k-5dFK_hjtztGa47uBDwv0-vY_bVEc_1fT8_WOq0Z3hXChSCkpPuEC5t6jAcyMjTuhme4A_p-pJD4l0_Vb5fcEfPMxpDRgcIhh2V2k9SS4uGgDXZbHiR61LdLGJ_JzLqMJniK6TJEDCtx8mM07EysPxdDen1QkGMdil9uVVGmqliRB1iyjy4aqsv0P25C4tATfyAxgNz4q3lFHSPuIejKfknEm_lMQHrw6iP_Bk1X6GXbTF4UIu6xIzKiwhpf-_LO5sIA1B7zNb2nLGg0J-te4NWgpjGRibjbAXGPdGOZVDdhV0aQFUSnIZgmhob7PAaF-mEOBbOvLdhlCxLyK9lFCeBRqcVGYGo1KNRbjgoeUg87vV7idY8yLGXLQgjBOFyNoxDHT3jx33ulb-5S47oVd9AnyTSX_0aAlgAsMisDd1UWPpA4nlQ5dYmuAJrvZpiDS2ltqAjehAOAl7DrM4=w614-h818-no


Then, using all the collected number plates I have acquired, both on my own cars and others (Thanks Ryan!) I made a board to mount them on, to create a small piece of automotive art.

0HZJNmy-MAGOJnDC82aVqimkIldvOnoQ5XLk6LG9dYxyMJvfenqAGfB1e-YE6x_X03-Esl-BqUymMTNQCkwRPg9g7hbn6S4keFXnipzxCM5-RL8wEvQpgzJHyzyy0AWovwexjdJHdSLZNSPGNweFIEBGnT7The8Qqjp4IzAJIgw4Ii_KLB6Z2BJzYVk0I8bMvBTyOU8i6IOWoaCwIZRTWK_QDam3J9ur12howo4KC1GzJHypinVWwpbVOC7bAQBnAShBCoMbzK-DgpnjiV77auWXcHz4BSnqn8BVgULJVGFMtdaC81OWDWS7Pe7Oxr_yPAVxBu51bg7oqjjDVqLnWz0mTW4DnsWd2LkxqojEjuEF_iltTz6IQ2-cxHiEB5guKe8koJD4Q3HMp8ASQm9ha0TVFAbtjWMmN78GZpw0qw0lyL3_aMzdM7C2umB2iq6IgRG0nLF35rPWoikgCsfMq9iCwWiS_Q6188yqHg2yz_80nqnqmvoxM8APTbGnAfZ2mbvyO8Cjyd52QUg6JFV1g1cK2clpT2b71bUPaXA2pq0P0Oh4Re2JcGcEoi8PWpHMay0JYKDz18HKKrRv82O5lZ6pKIJDQfnimI8_sig=w614-h818-no


Zs9b_J2jYZYqIkBz6jr9cOGbHw37ROyBBbluHMJvAydmgPUO8aGlsO4hAedBVy8Vc1ayzHvVWN1f3GD9zlQvy6tqclI6rMwhhYNmrSDXSCpKk_s0-_eu4rcRiv6FIV7sJywYKvWU6Ti5DF8WwUikM3Xy3aLjGV8ed7O1hrx3M2JSUuafHm-18scezmwAwvcKnNU2GHEVqls1C42I7LtQP3Fvbx4x3Eqbt7gwXaklGnwpQ4jcKSy8Vye1702btbM8OC-chB4USOKw7wwGqhTX3TNBByxouthOgyNxHCd1eImNgA7Uhg5YEdndT3-avMKb6p1xI7pwqnASYU5oDqLuUpjYJ2tbrHiGf5MvfOXWtspakbeF3dypOy41fY9NIrvOeG4GXDoLt9xaUnQxJq46mf3ZsN6d9rbgCh19Pk5qTJtyji4XicTk6H2QtmFqjahHkG6c1zqLp_VD-nc_QiF81nLXENeuc1BN1suY-zqxA3-HbDWy5PWC2JtiVoWzKYRWyqSRba-hvEt6UM_ckxGJbGky5nRlhQ78Q8BPJOmI4moFhdKZ0DNUB7Uk5-eCfBXF4_JqYE_BUUwi5fRaJFn-Jd0OGtMQnZGpOkGOr9w=w614-h818-no


Hk-irgnIkSklX774IkUJYEECvJwMzSyGRPJ2IJM9Jt6cytZtOeKr9QNCXovPrx-IEAOkIwhgfTpton2wO-YAxH68WVNS4tpshHXAzyHKr0x1lMsvjnwkHPNJzy5Lg0slGp74QTDT8PMkAOonvOkAFhkvdyq3K-9aWu6hp2KOAn_az8Lvz6_QBUm3_cjr30XKdesJ1-wX6M1JFJZ5uDRfn8LyXQvPlj-QQl3yi7C993etnkqWSCRNz9UlOuIfCb91wuGfi5h-3ZiSfGR2gcC35Kae1cZoAi3XfKaJFpOtc15cAIjgWnGgv8GRYrOpnd4zrGefm4nEfG7QwB8UDdzm3oUm_pSyNIQQZFb09AiHsggs_k7tytCoUQkarNAKysTE_cHNKd8t8sO1Ibe5vOptRCCspVVbQ4EKVVxM8wCpYaD7bsHUq1Gi1qQU89xQUAAJCfuuu_bztYFEa0d-Z_NxUQI4b7v0THKANaNuTJxYf17Ru13bl0y9euo2jVQCx1eQBM2cBjoAOexc_ubnM3ZEtGV1uI0HOMdLjHodrB4fBaoLop68SxHkqPh3l4BtEHdGJryLQEkWIZCGhilwelw-_bS8bwxs6l71vbujqU8=w614-h818-no


I hope it looks OK.
 
Last edited:

oldldh

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2012
Messages
3,700
Location
Fairhope, AL
I lived in the U.K. for seven years, and the garage in my rented house had a 60 year old oak tree growing right in the middle of the door...

No entry, can't cut it down, ergo car stayed out in the weather...and, as you know, there's a lot of weather in England...

You're doing a bang up job...

Best of luck with your home...
 

Grizz1963

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
12,252
Location
Rochester, KENT. UK
Glad the plates made it to you.

If you ever pop down here remind me to let you have a rummage through my collection to see if there is anything special for your wall.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
ZRX61 - You're right, the doors are 'racking' - I got the wood to put the braces on, but I think I am going to build new frames and start over. I had toyed with the idea of a roller shutter door, but the cost and the 'modern' look is stopping me at the moment. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

Ryan, thanks - that's very kind, i will let you know if I am in your neck of the woods.
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Earlier I mentioned that the garage was the barrel storage room for the public house that used to stand next door.

I have recently found out this is not correct, and in fact the lower end of the cottage - the part that is now the garage was in fact built as stables for the public house, and the yard in front was enclosed with a wall to keep the horses in.

This tallys with the shape of the yard, and the remains of the walls around, some of which still exists as the back wall of the shed.

A neighbour was involved with the local historical society, and they discovered a map of the public house, my cottage, and the stables. The Public House is gone - now a grassed area kept as a garden, the cottage has been replaced by the upper part of my house, but the rear wall of the original stone cottage still exists at the rear of my lounge, and the stables became the garage and the master bedroom upstairs.

When the render was being replaced on the house, the remains of two bricked up doors could be seen, and these also match the old plan. I wondered what these doors were for - now I know!

So those brick setts on the floor of my garage were originally the stable floor.

Funny how history has come full circle, and the space is once again housing transport, not with 4 hooves, but 4 wheels!
 

Alfanuts

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Messages
531
Location
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Hi there.

I Like your garage and the history to it. I am glad you got rid of those horrible aluminum type windows on the house.:beer:

Saw your number plate wall and noticed the plates from South Africa (Cape Town Northern cape and Eastern cape) and wondered on how they came to be on your wall.:dunno:
 

abstamaria

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
1,338
Location
Manila
Great job, Ian. I enjoy your garage and house; they have a strong sense of "place." I cam almost feel the weather.

Cheers,

Andy
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Hi there.

I Like your garage and the history to it. I am glad you got rid of those horrible aluminum type windows on the house.:beer:

Saw your number plate wall and noticed the plates from South Africa (Cape Town Northern cape and Eastern cape) and wondered on how they came to be on your wall.:dunno:

Alfa,

Thanks - the window choice went through a fair number of decisions, and a number of vendors - only one understood the 'equal sightline' request, i.e. the non opening window is actually an opening window fixed shut - this means the windows look more like old original frames - just in pvc. They got the job!

Ryan (Griff on this forum) and I did a swap - he wanted some Hong Kong / China plates, I wanted some variety. (Still looking for a China plate though)

Andy, thanks again for your kind words - I am now planning the next garage phase - just in the middle of a lounge refresh - then the house is finished.
 

abstamaria

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
1,338
Location
Manila
There are a few Lotus/Caterham guys in HK, Ian. You probably already know them, but let me know.

Andy
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Thanks - I actually don't know any of them as it happens! Let me know if there is a club or similar.

The last winter I kept the Caterham in the garage with just a dust sheet over it. The garage is not heated, but the house central heating bolier is housed out there, so there is a small amount of heat given off to help warm the garage. At some point, once the doors are made more draught proof, I will install a radiator in the garage.

In the meantime, I am going to store the car in a 'Carcoon'. I have used one of these before, and it is amazing the amount of damp and rust it prevents, the car comes out drier and dust free, in the last few years of using one I didn't have to clean the car, the Carcoon did it for me!

Usual Storage

-vJ6XMsgsA46itL5a39ug8GpDxFM8k6BTIpOzsGqZlgWUfzmDY12BlljhrnczZkZLDZ50ou9RHtvCjG0JA7c3M5QZRkl2SiXbSrTSXbuLkTVne3420hDLyunCn1QtqClvls1fMOmoftRcPtyPfY7rDRickLBtZKimhhyWQGjvMyELP3z3_wduKAMXwkxmcS_eE5lFVG-xPMehRsAMgSW1WFSObIlJv3plC8QPsmYi3fktOG6P_m1F7pRgVh7GwYFCZ8LdGiKNfxhNqy3o0SW6YpioHtAT6GBB9dsgaHqn8-yIKWsUDc7AkPLWwYXFPNLZG0QoPLxrshZK6QR9mkhgd4kyGi-rRk_5MNB-ERvfGNCLCR-aer4AasowyEKAG0OOalCKPax_dvuY94aNUn1-YSbuPF4VdywoHUnxIyZgyTJ8DXVoRsMZIeek2jocFpFVD1yCAp6psJ5rVf3H15qY5Rl0ySTzSe9t0FCXhrPN-dkkAlwY9oU2KTVOMkqa1B_qWdYzOnjnZDhUBmXS0U0cbHb0yi2PIx51XssEyy2fWZgQZGflRv49nOFt0R4xhLw5JZXPNMjk52tzSoTfTSfe_0MSWsa9M26Mtl7BgA=w1222-h818-no


With test fit of Carcoon

359vWyLYYw0BpM6HkFpg6NhPXa0tNEQln7onQQSVx_hmUJTbyoQQN3fZnzW6y76-WUNHdS0ROJCllHUzJcl_Xg8wqOJsf9KJKHwKK4SnDsKg4lYzPQ_DrVM6dFJRRgkyqDiwST-X9TwW9EATy9-KzcpffM-aaigl_ENPMQPDn0ZDPTFuuNo1PybQWAuktOuaNzhvqM_GjxhF5uLYqCQR3Z_M3ZF11r9NEy-wQoREXATott3fMzQ-21Zb-IR13Xy4zQWNy8G-Qjbbzbn0ScyN3KR1mrF95HeBwnLPcmYAnrutxX9ujhuX6JnBn4RcxZr1dshvw5w64HziDYq2QZFLlBemH5wtSUMrXpakbJ5j1b5q5vLfkPgIXzZGulD5FxDb4vMDjY5m4L_3gv9KWaCvmtj8oXn3uU-2BhZVYKHExEWE3tWegp5l_VJr6aZ9bIzN8zCPda6QBsWz2pQ1-nh2pougzUDw4p0annPqgbVHY-nvoA7y5KlLLMySajchOAe1wHUtSxsBSytRTnhrgjm5hhTsbKAO-wYSbLDHNIoahaej4PiSK8z2niDgYFYX2adZakpyRYPbiKuApRhyf9HeRETF_4UxlyRGZN23tHw=w1090-h818-no
 
Last edited:
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Olly,

Too true - and strangely, large garages are very unusual here in the UK, I like 'window shopping' property for sale on the various websites, and even on houses over a million pounds with own grounds, you rarely get bigger than a double 22x22 foot garage.
 

Olliecampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Messages
258
Location
Hertfordshire, UK
Olly,

Too true - and strangely, large garages are very unusual here in the UK, I like 'window shopping' property for sale on the various websites, and even on houses over a million pounds with own grounds, you rarely get bigger than a double 22x22 foot garage.

Not going off on a tangent here, I bought a house 3 months ago. My only requirement was that it had a garage. I couldn't believe how few houses came onto the market with a garage, and half of those you couldn't class as a garage! I ended up with a 3.5m x 5m (11.5ft x 16.5ft) garage and am quite happy with it.
I was quite spoilt living in my parents house, they had a purpose built 2 car garage, epoxy floor, loads of plug sockets....still very jealous!
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Hi Ollie,

No major changes, the recent new drive work has made the entrance of the garage slightly lower, and in heavy rain it gets a little puddle inside.

So I am going to have to get the floor raised at that point, so tiles up, a small amount of concrete and then lay the floor and a new threshold. Annoying, but has to be done.

I am also very keen to build doors for the storage space, as this does look untidy.

Hopefully soon will be able to get back to a few improvements.

Any pics of your garage?

Ian
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Thanks - I was living in Central to start with, then down the East end at Quarry Bay, but now out over the mountains in the New Territories.

I love it too, the last 4 years I have spent Christmas here in Hong Kong, much nicer weather!
 

Olliecampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Messages
258
Location
Hertfordshire, UK
I'm stalking you across threads!

I forgot to ask, what did you go for tile wise in the end? Raised 'textured' tiles or smooth? And what about the other edging options they provide, the skirting and edge pieces? Are they necessary if you but the tile up closely to the wall?
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
Haha, No problem!

I went for raised 'coins', but this was only because they were the cheapest!

As the floor was a very rough and sloping one (as it was stables, I think it was to make washing out easier) pushing the car around the corner on the skates is made a bit harder because of the coins, but in a flat garage, I don't think it would be an issue at all.

As a mentioned, the Eco Tile people regularly have a bargain bin, but you have to take pot luck on what they have at the time of ordering, I think I got around 45% off which made the decision easy.

Well recommended.
 
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
The Mews Shed

As I have learnt on this forum, having a serviceable shed is vital to allow non garage items to be removed from the garage.

Although I have a small shed, the original plan was to knock it down. But after using it at first in a temporary fashon, then more seriously, it is staying.

The shed as found at first. With abandoned antique table (now in my dining room!)

Cnvm8jOr09wtSjbpXBmustxnkaA_f4YT6om_WOEvknuQ2EpjVFfxhryOvHtqsg2-sYG2tXhFRQexY3qmsqE44SMAZHLVlP6ygIp3pTVweOo99zBQ7dCgEFGpAhK2B1SLBxRHt70koY6Le1fA_KH3JGo85Ij6Dd1YGEEE9x1i_9YxHG_KTLxYUdN4G40Ow8uwsrZfstxBNs_XNhkBstBB_EiQq9yGttcJAOMmC6NgAdW97RSPYoZFeBwG3QRa4kyYMaN_7gvjXYsSNo817BCdIO1U_jLQomy2IoXbEpqOoe6GEyZ79tSEnYkviQrLqDUBrRQTgUY6QHU-sTm5p6B38qVYRlKnZByUB8X3U5gjfxhjhTUB5Y4pTDSNNTJ1V9bRuO7t5gXTjD395PHuiKV8-CGC7SVp5Mdbohk_xTPEQ6JlmeBUbSG6l4F3PgA4TKdrmskNv-6_2HWCtxwY3tv373OF5CsDORjRXTYwkFXgpwbsSBeFW0SuAPW9ByRs5wiM_F35j2iCzXkURMeLiL-ejsp6_Ms52kB33nOKw1h6N_Mj2o_ES4QUJX3tfauq4QEZASMhnV_U_1l0uAIccc1RGBlgaw-lQLQkl255-Nw=w1090-h818-no
 
Last edited:
OP
F

felixgogo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Hong Kong / England
For all this time, the shed had no door. It did have three sets of hinges(!) all broken off and rusted.

Once I had made the decision to keep the shed, a door was made, and I spent a morning getting the old hinges out, treating and painting the frame, painting the new door, and finally planing it down to fit.

PDATv_m0kSPY4Awdn4qrnV3zkiPVZjyqvpw2HvJEjyeV1xc7c7i02xUb1ryUvlf4nQbc7A2Ay1yAqn3Vi2rDEEmuBf8Bx-yC5CyXuUzFpbby48oGjNV-6irhh9olidDxB1wai6EXrOUY5MswsFBCoP9BcCT5jt5dwTTfLff537HvZpXvD-7oDwcWt_wXgNl9X18OVLSNzLW7jxAkmSXE55y3bgJlXdedkOY8e-fPhRepi81bwgGdJY4h96xyA3ysKhNyCrpnHB2Jc8KcfiU9oTzE3ibBY9gW5GQL_bPgF2ZgBrNUT5inURbp3cQcyjA2qT6o5h2Lt70gRQTXRmCedHMFBqSPKv7a70r094Lyyra2_Rftsh1p5YoKTk7rsjtFWbfyz6lh58eyNlThA1I8zcJXzHuQe4vfso2iY4cYw4buTPD6vACTuQYd8GCl-Glzrjm8YarO5mtKvDMaCj75JdCWns3wRUpB3tKZvF3zmAZCyy77vjGd4tx2EKDeVRM3g65Na7-QKxAY-GHAS3fNp_5PbuKXpR_xQma4Y7fi68JPg12ZWMLqr1WrbaX0RXB-LP_BxPC9x1MLOBTfnIEsUbPffedHl11Fy6s0zTo=w240-h320-no


Then inside, I fitted up a few shelf brackets I had to make a wood storage area.

BhGre8MNaQ2mubxbDMskc5pSVzodjfmHcA1u7jFEWivZJX3WMU1VijCFNdJZNihtJaFZHoS6E0nsWCdZiwFSzN1QwZ8Q0EOQFHuBWbcfL_RtMyd-cpg6VN94Ok-1wMScRyzxvBr3UnCAPUG-KDqE_n-LRnS3QuvcdKjx9DVLDlnC9_dctG29_oOWTePeLzD70LTlAy8D8egzRO4sv7fdqVa8KsJUP38A3fBL7rmFjKC4BhOdY24556SAc8NNk4w-iMfXHlOVUbYLFfNP4U0LMWvjbMSc1b9i7lqp28-p8zBNbVZY4cCflCrsxnAlfJvP1xl9DKPofLD_vLnYGIBRoUuYNYBIGLoELczNXiRqDZGKE-tdOqEPABuT8JmZCsqUPlcn_1dJmv0ls7GpwRuIW8rh1F-NnT3JBBBoBYNDtkQ6zr3-IqtsKHA0Hl5KoI-v2-e6RIfzGRySdf10nzYDVWdE8xD5j8ypLtkFXI9vxuHafT_pXwwF553gFUsFH7ZR20jdWtr5YJNfzM_xZ52L4KEJSqyC5R-Y2NQWr25SfsKpDDKw_e7RuEU1_eftwDI5M3qWyTvl0wnEvQUzTi3FrHq8NLfiSdyfMznjKms=w240-h320-no


Then using some wood and a few tool brackets, a garden tool rack.

U7fCW-jx3wPzYC3s-2Spd44QqR0_wgEYBpy6iumrGBPRKcRBYb2AYz27PI6wbwXUkTYmVGn7pOsXDtgJZ8V-er-nXkik7LtDGRNulgXHkeobFoIOmvXuupnJATk8OMNW90NN-v5B2-WgvWweBa-M0pDpHG7poFG_3lf9iptzTALqZNkv0P8v8F9ye8E4W6BtKfVKAKEQAmEFq9RJlfXwHUPWR7w_Na6LMOlIIEfF5V1CCvV8DTovlbrQ11NvgW3X5uVy77U9ukkrOQ3E2WhlDfyl9PFCd0hut5no3vd7MY2r0_ruzFDUiYyZVxCkCA3fGcnxgwbFi-WtqbvWwTap0lmgDQC0kkKKSjVqc7ZuMTSbbVTcchQtukQ5UDFxoNXdS8QfiYucayhctk_YI5dZB0NYdIdp4cq31Onx1GxNrGOcx0tepjMVybvO8KA56ZHNgMA277cbOmJRcNF1hCm1mshn3c7y1CuffwfK2k4HWJ4seUClca6NgGKGOE2lqooMAOL7Rg4eQlE1Ol0hiLrVoh3G8qDZ06cibqxk2LNx3Wk4w7zLGeLwr4Lt1WHKhgffd1aonJ4Emo6GA-xmrRDH68-Zci7QALLL3TzGJXo=w240-h320-no


Finally all finished!

jcUB_4vEJel94Yi5E8GIH8F-tzLAKhlBBSVk3NEEwu0b0pz870gQdx_eGqKxjiFAijhr2PGqdd_JTJoTehBRfdNu55kcqusWxb_oKaaK5OiVhUg9hCwkTcjyEZM-hCqWnqplblzufRaIIdbHy5Klaw9Ls2susDHxGrRPGyU801_mfbhd5wDxD3-R62nhuUSBXERmaWyer7HGk8R4t1_reamFKM7Wgp-7iZBl-IhFhcqCqSmE1yKN8F6q6IKhI8UVXu5O5U3kk3uyUufKx54VUhfvRZ2YFK3Jb6nD9XJ4liHFYKvihp4cSPKsj7Q5YYxyE_RadNVehwX1aym9igzz8EUsjn4ypCZ-ZoOnyJ5KZs1Wf0nwJ053YdluLiZ8fjimAw4MmHlg7b0NfWAuRgHw5lA0U7jOiMuq2FqNwlPtMxCvWyHQ4VQQ0CvhSc6RjxmIW8nlqsckFlX47PeMK1AFcCvLaOfEurBRLuBS1naucaHvyt-wtgNvjgDL8KfZqRyEvOtU2dsxcC1N_di8u3DzpevFKHq6OQI7rXNf_TOnMG8hlrgUh5oiqvpbVt4YVuVb2EeNw__oZEprjEOJ3j7-UnX1RVwwDHsFUlx4oIE=w240-h320-no


At some point in the future, I may replace the roof, it is weatherproof, but very steeply sloping such that height in the shed is very limited. I would extend the rear wall up and then slope a new roof towards the front, and use slates and tiles to match the house.

One the strange things about this shed, is that although it has had no door for years, it was always bone dry in there. I put this down to the door way being south side of the shed and very protected by the overhanging roof, and that the roof design means there is a huge cross draught through the shed, drying it out all the time. If I do replace the roof, I will try to keep this 'self drying' feature.
 
Last edited:

Bib Overalls

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
3,318
Location
Jonesboro, Arkansas
From the picture in Post #34 it looks like your cottage was originally two units that are now joined. Is this correct? I'm sure your neighbors are pleased with the renovation work that you have done. It really has eye appeal.

I spent a couple of R&Rs in Honk Kong (65 & 69) and returned again in 90 with my wife for a week long vacation. I was impressed with the energy of the place and would love to get back for yet another visit. In 65 my hotel was on the Kowloon side and I got caught on the Hong Kong side after the ferry stopped running. So I crossed the channel in a walla walla boat. Imagine my surprise in 90 when I found out the two are now connected by a tunnel and trains run all night.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom