To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

The Tin Shed. 40'x60' shop build.

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
After selling my old shop in California, it was time to build something new on our recently purchased 2 acre property, just south west of Austin TX.
Since my old shop always felt cramped I knew I needed something bigger, so I decided on a 40' X 60' metal building.

This will be a weld up building, insulated, HVAC system, rainwater collection system, a bathroom an office etc etc.

So, here it begins in mid October 2013.

Breaking ground:




Concrete forms:




Since the property has quite a slope, we needed fill dirt to build up the low spots. 110 yards worth.

 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
Leveling the dirt and trenches:
I might add, that our top soil is about 6" thick after that we have solid Texas limestone. Great for buildings, not fun for digging a hole to plant a tree.


I also included pads for a car lift I plan to install at some point.

Rough plumbing for the bathroom (one toilet, one sink).


Plastic and rebar:





 
Last edited:
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
After a two week delay, because of rain and a handful of postponed concrete appointments, the big day was finally here. The crew started at 5:30am on a Saturday and of course it was drizzling again, but we got lucky and it stopped a few hours later.

Concrete:















My boys, Hank and Iggy

 
Last edited:
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
After the forms where removed, the steel arrived. The posts are welded to these cleverly devised 6"x6" plates with hooks, that where embedded into the concrete earlier.


Removing forms:



Steel:





 
Last edited:
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
After the frame was painted "battleship grey" it was time for insulation and sheeting.
The insulation for the walls is 3" and 6" for the roof.
I plan to insulate the building further down the road by building 2x4 frames, adding fiberglass battens and sheet rock.






 
Last edited:

Bib Overalls

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
3,318
Location
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Everything looks first class.

I've seen several nice builds in the Dripping Springs area documented on these pages. Hopefully, Ryan can get them all included in a future Lone Star Roundup garage crawl.
 
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
14
Chris, I want to make you a vintage looking old sign for that building...it's way too new looking (but I love it).
 
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
A few more updates.
More sheet metal installed and a roof.


Nice view over the Hillcountry from the scissor lift.


The inside is starting to look like something.

 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

thecj3man

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
190
Location
East TN
Why did you choose a weld together building over a bolt together building? I am trying to decide now which would be better for my application.

Thanks,
WAP
 
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
Do you mind disclosing the cost of the foundation?
40x60, a 16x14 and 22x24 pad came to around 18k. All 5.5" thick or thicker. It took about 100 yard of concrete for the whole project.

Why did you choose a weld together building over a bolt together building? I am trying to decide now which would be better for my application.
Weld up is supposed to be cheaper, but in the end it's about the same.

How thick is that insulation?
3" on the walls and 6" on the roof.
 

EarlyBroncoGuy

King Of The World
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
946
Looking good. I lived in Oak Hill for 20 years (traffic at the Y just got too crazy), just moved out to 6 acres near Bastrop so I could have room to build a shop. Mine's the same size, 40x60, but I went 16' tall to give me plenty of room for my toyhauler, lift, and an attic/loft area.

It's a Mueller bolt together, it showed up a few weeks ago on the coldest, wettest, nastiest day this year. The driver had a bunch of fun unloading it and making a mess of the yard with his forklift. Been checking around for estimates to have a crew erect it, as soon as I find one that's reasonable we can get this rolling.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221114&highlight=gearhead+garage

A central Texas "garage crawl" sounds like a good idea come springtime.
 
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
Stage one of the building is pretty much complete. Gotta find some more money to do all the other things I have planned.

The 2550 gallon rainwater catchment system is almost finished (still need pump)

Future plans include:
-Run underground wires for a 200 amp service.
-Hvac system with exposed spiral ducting.
-Lighting and outlets (220v and 110v)
-Build a bathroom and connect the rough plumbing to septic tank.
-Build an office.
-Build 2x4 walls insulate and drywall them.
-Install two post car lift
-Install windows (wasn't sure where I wanted them, yet)
-Build and install sliding and barn doors in front of the loading doors (i'll explain later)
-Put down road base and gravel around the building.
-Landscaping (palm trees, banana trees and bamboo etc.)
-Build cool old timey sign.

Here are some pics on how the building looks as of today.





 
Last edited:
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
Very cool. I'm digging the bare galvanized finish.
Thanks, I've been agonizing over colors and at first I was pretty much set on some sort of green that would blend in with the trees, but then I saw a building with the bare galvanized panels and I was sold.
I will give it some more character in time, but this is a good base to start from.
 

littletoes

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
1,244
Location
NE Washington
That rain-leader piping abs painted silver??? Looks good.

What kind of paint did you use-wondering how long it will last in that Tejas heat/sun.
 
OP
D

dreadman

Active member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
32
Location
Austin TX
That rain-leader piping abs painted silver??? Looks good.

What kind of paint did you use-wondering how long it will last in that Tejas heat/sun.

It's PVC schedule 40 pipe, 4" diameter. I anticipate touching up the paint frequently. Not sure on the paint used.
 

-Brent-

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
4,709
Location
Utah
Chris, I just saw you post on Ryan's fire thread and recognized the name from the old HAMB days. You have to update this thread. You've built a few cars out of this shop, already. I've only seen snippets of the shop on IG.
 

Terrick down Under

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
1,904
Location
Royalla, NSW, Aust.
G'day, i like your shop. If your are worried about the 4" pipe, then paint it with late model vehicle bumper paint, uv stable and has the flexability to expand and contract in the weather.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom