To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Walk-in closet for Porsches

OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Finally got the Amorpoxy floor down in the garage. It is definitely time consuming! It came out pretty good, though not as professional looking as some of the floors I've seen here on GJ. But it looks good and seems like it's going to be very durable. Epoxy base in Medium Gray, flakes in red, white and black, and then topcoat with anti-slip additive.
25834363358_0149072210_z.jpg
[/url]20180114_091241 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
25834364458_054dc0e64a_z.jpg
[/url]20180114_091455 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now that I can walk on the floor (no cars on it until next weekend!), I built a 6ft. work bench. I need to finish up the drawers today, but it like like it'll be solid. It has double 3/4" plywood for the top. My phone camera is making it look a look saggy, but it's pretty flat. Because of the slope of the garage floor, everything has to shimmed to be level, :wtf: hence the 2x4 under the left legs:
24837549977_3d4c600491_z.jpg
[/url]20180114_144454 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Out back, I did some more work on my outdoor work bench. It's already been very useful:
25834360468_3932c19ecb_z.jpg
[/url]20180107_160051 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
38997365734_5ee639c5e3_z.jpg
[/url]20180107_160905 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

:beer:
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Okay, big moment for the addition; can you fit three cars in a two car garage? Yes, as long as they're small! Really, to make it possible, I always knew one would have to be on car dollies, so first first up for the ride was the 914.

39634803671_e9a50285f6_z.jpg
[/url]20180103_074738 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rotated into the back corner, there's still room for two cars. That 24 ft. of width makes that possible. I remember laying out the garage floor dimensions on graph paper before the plans were made and moving proportional paper cutouts of the three cars around to see if it would work. I guess it does :bounce:

39845870491_21f35b31d3_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_170206 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
39136025744_ac6faaa192_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_170351 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
38947047595_5d2fc5fb37_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_170400 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
20180122_170411 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr

So, the Walk in Closet for Porsches, though far from complete, is a reality!
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
I also made some progress on the first work station. The bench now has drawer faces and pulls, and the pegboard and wire shelf are in.

39845853751_2b1c39c70f_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_170452 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks to the new storage, I was able to start moving stuff out of my trusty Craftsman rolling tool cart. In the past, this has always been a collecting area for a lot of **** besides tools, so I'm gradually refining the automotive tool storage so it can be an easily movable work station.

39136543434_8b3684112a_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_174956 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
39814088732_3d1472423f_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_175006 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
25973148488_0ab05dd8dc_z.jpg
[/url]20180122_175055 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's about it for now. The next installments will be about each of the cars, so stay tuned! :beer:
 

kwyjibo

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
748
Nice job getting the third car into the space. My garage expansion also just happens to be big enough to fit in an extra car... if I roll it laterally. Of course once I actually get around to building cabinets and workbench the added space goes back down one car.

Looking forward to your upcoming posts!
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Nice job getting the third car into the space. My garage expansion also just happens to be big enough to fit in an extra car... if I roll it laterally. Of course once I actually get around to building cabinets and workbench the added space goes back down one car.

Looking forward to your upcoming posts!

Thanks! I've enjoyed your garage thread. Other than my daughter's E36 convertible, we've never owned any Bimmers, but my brother's crazy about them. He has an E24 Euro 635csi that he just loves and also an E36 M3, an E28, and an E39.
 

jsherid1

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
1,272
Location
Lucas, TX
Awesome work Jeremy!:beer:

I like the cars... especially the 928.
I've got a 79 as well.
Just sold my 94 GTS.

We've got a big 928 community in Texas.

Keep the pics coming!!:bowdown:

Hey Chuck—-been too long! To the OP, I too have the Porsche bug in 928 guise....
 

ODIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
2,111
Location
Pacific Northwest
Nicely done! Everything turned out great too. Have been getting “pushed around” in Porsches since 1992.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Ody.
 
Last edited:

Kasal

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
749
Location
Galicia, España
Well, the 968 is dead and long gone, but the 944 turbo keeps calling out to me to make it into a track car. Must...resist...


I used to have a 71 four door. Would love to have a 510 again, but if I ever get another Datsun, it'll probably be a 240, 260, or 280Z


Yesterday was a big day because we passed final inspection! I actually appreciate the inspection process but I'm so glad to be done with it. It really feels like ours now.

Finished the pantry area tile and grout. It's a little shiny from moping:
39134396112_07e8c43e89_z.jpg
[/url]20171219_125404 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got the shelves into the pantry:
39199695182_2e6c9fb4f5_z.jpg
[/url]20171222_172633 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
38352282575_9c70901ca0_z.jpg
[/url]20171222_172658 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hopefully I'll get the barn door for the pantry installed tomorrow.
24366241027_b0c3a1e4f8_z.jpg
[/url]20171222_172716 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Found some time to go down to my brother's shop and helped put some finishing touches on his E36 M3. It's wrapped in Matte Gray:
27452197909_708c4536a2_z.jpg
[/url]20171219_190148 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
38352274975_3affacaabf_z.jpg
[/url]20171219_190136 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
You can see my 914 waiting more patiently than me to come home to the new garage.

Well, that's about it now. Back at it tomorrow. Cheers!


Incredible his collection, I am a great Porsche fan, although I can only dream about them, my budget does not allow me to have one.
How is the e36 m3 of your brother enrolled in German? Is that according to my understanding those license plates are personalized and you can not sell the car with them.
 

hpipe

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Eastern PA
Wow! Love all the work you have done here! Really like the floor as well. (brings back memories of my old 944 I used to have)
 

Mudnut

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
284
Location
FNQ Australia (North of Cairns)
Great thread, and read. Really like how you finished off the inside. Goes really well with the great cars. Always wanted a 914, but ended up with a Fiat 850 Spyder instead. Was 1/4 the price, and insurance on the 914 would have killed me. This was in the early 70's. Now have several cars, and one is a 987.2 Cayman. Love the drive to work now.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

Ken
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Been a while since I posted since we've been busy using our new space, which has been just awesome, and busy working to pay for the addition! Here's a recent project I did on my 944 Turbo, which always handled well, but really needed a suspension refresh.

Later 944s use a sealed front strut, which means when it's time to change them, you are forced to buy the entire strut. Or you can take that "precious" Porsche part...and cut it up!

Strut removed:
40844936815_d6cb9a7c23_z.jpg
[/url]20180423_064457 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Top of strut cut off, internals removed:
41026557964_665016757d_z.jpg
[/url]20180423_202116 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Spring perch removed:
41744270931_f85d4a8ab9_z.jpg
[/url]20180425_162829 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Primed and painted. Duplicolor School Bus Yellow matches the Koni Yellow pretty well:
41026561854_9371b426e2_z.jpg
[/url]20180425_170558 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
27875233758_a54f53fcbe_z.jpg
[/url]20180425_172415 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Assembled with new Koni insert, 250 lb. Hypercoil spring, coilover sleeve and collar, and Koni Competition Bumpstop. Plus some cool new artwork:
41703253792_2f39cdae0e_z.jpg
[/url]20180426_071454 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

And in the car. Looks like it'll work well, if only if I could get the fickle thing to start!
41917591552_3b52c94088_z.jpg
[/url]20180427_180719 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next up will be 28mm rear torsion bars and Konis:
41961690941_78347a19c2_z.jpg
[/url]20180505_155907 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

More soon! :beer:
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
I enjoy detailing, especially if it really involves some challenging paint correction. Here's a 928S that my brother was selling, so in it came to the garage for some cosmetic refurbishing.

Decent looking car, but paint had seen better days:
41192154450_b6638a1b80_z.jpg
[/url]20180222_205707 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
42952955192_319e57ebb7_z.jpg
[/url]20180326_154602 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

All the black rubber trim was faded and covered in wax residue:
42952954632_5b9968dd29_z.jpg
[/url]20180401_104841 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Corrected trim:
41192152720_e83c06b5e1_z.jpg
[/url]20180401_105333 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re-polished factory wheels:
42952954082_7d543efec7_z.jpg
[/url]20180402_152503 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

And final result:
41192153700_390c7b8c8c_z.jpg
[/url]20180328_143959 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Another car I had in the garage for a detailing was a Cayman S, in Basalt Black. It was already pretty nice, just a lot of micro-scratching and somewhat dull paint.

After a thorough hand wash, it looked very good, but I know I can make it better:
43002469801_e21889a19c_z.jpg
[/url]20180515_201553 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Polishing begins, with reflective lines showing nice improvement in the LED shoplights:
43002469271_2f43b1d37c_z.jpg
[/url]20180516_065008 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
43002469451_f774d5cdfc_z.jpg
[/url]20180516_064954 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

All done, looking pretty sharp in the early morning light. Note the addition of 19" Carrera Classics compared to the stock 18" Cayman wheels in the first pic:
42953558812_a4978f5e04_z.jpg
[/url]20180517_064333 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
42101589995_aee81bf872_z.jpg
[/url]20180517_064318 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
How'd you remove wax from the textured trim of the 928?

I actually used Meguire's gloss vinyl protectant gently applied with very fine steel wool, wiped clean with microfiber cloth. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but was pleased with the result. That trim could also be repainted, but I didn't want to get into that if I could avoid it.
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, nice job on the 928, that paint turned out amazing!

Thanks! It was a satisfying job with some quality results. Just the kind of detailing challenge I like.

Had to send my 944 Turbo off to German Motorwerke this afternoon after spending many hours trying to to solve a no-start problem. Really annoys me that I couldn't figure it myself, but at least it's off to reputable shop. Hopefully back by the end of the week!
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, it's been nearly two years since I added to this thread! How time flies. I haven't really done much to my garage space, except lots of projects. My last post about the 944 Turbo had me flat bedding it to a shop for a no-start issue. Turned out to be the ECUs (yes the car uses two, one for fuel injection and ignition, another for boost management). $900 later, got both back from the ECU Doctor in Florida and the car was running well. Because I planned to track this car, I needed to address the many leaks from the engine to be able to pass tech. I finally bit the bullet and pulled it for a full reseal and new clutch.
Into the mouth of the beast:
49691953806_de91fe8694_z.jpg
[/url]20190209_125457 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
A few minutes later :lol_hitti it was on an engine stand:
49691953586_8f879bfcfc_z.jpg
[/url]20190216_174319 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Bottoms up for new rod bearings:
49691413138_4e63e191fb_z.jpg
[/url]20190219_093423 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Journals looked great and well in spec:
20190303_124200 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr
What it looks like when your engine has a controlled explosion in the garage:
49691412343_a79de4ed30_z.jpg
[/url]20190308_080355 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Rebuilt head, against a backdrop of another detailing project, 2005 911 Carrera:
49691952291_4297517543_z.jpg
[/url]20190611_201826 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Fancy cam box:
49691951991_3243ab81df_z.jpg
[/url]20190623_163445 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
It goes on...
Drilled and tapped the head for a Lindsey Racing Steam Vent kit, which helps solve a coolant air pocket around the number 4 piston:
49692281677_9e60903687_z.jpg
[/url]20190624_105545 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Installed, just need the vent line that taps into the coolant reservoir:
49691976731_35da03f310_z.jpg
[/url]20190624_111319 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Ready for install:
49691976466_7cc71116ac_z.jpg
[/url]20190908_075922 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
And back in:
49692248271_4e96f9450b_z.jpg
[/url]thumbnail_20200209_111515 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Wideband installed:
49691975111_a42a111037_z.jpg
[/url]20200126_095355 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
And after about 13 months, first drive. Running great and boosting like a beast:
49692550722_0e4be9c430_z.jpg
[/url]thumbnail_20200216_073757 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Best wishes to everyone for health and well-being!
 
OP
7

70datsun

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
61
Location
Albuquerque, NM
The refreshed engine looks great in the motor compartment.
How much boost are you running?
Right now around 16psi. When I first got it running again, I set it at 18, which is my target. I'm just a little concerned that the A/F ratios are showing a bit lean at full boost (around 13:1). I may need to move up to bigger injectors. I just don't want to end up replacing the head gasket after all that work!

Awesome shop!
THanks!
 

sean Buick 76

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
3,221
Location
Edmonton Alberta
Yes I would shoot for much closer to 11:1 for air fuel ratio under boost. A chassis dyno tune would be my next move. Do you know the duty cycle the current injectors are at? A tune may be all that’s needed.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom