To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

weight of Seneca Falls lathe

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75
I managed to get this lathe at a local auction for $150 and need to pick it up tomorrow. It came with a lot of tooling which I figured was worth the cost alone.

It is a Seneca Falls lathe. Does anyone has an idea on what this thing weighs?

Trying to work out how I will lift it and whether I will need a second pair of hands etc.

Thanks,
 

Attachments

  • 7382-1.jpg
    7382-1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Maui

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
2,944
Location
Upstate NY
I would ball park the weight in the neighborhood of 300 to 400 lbs for just the lathe and jackshaft, not including the bench it is sitting on. I'd recommend breaking it down as much as you can so that it is easier to transport. Take some photos of everything beforehand so that you will be able to figure out how to put it back together once you get it home. If it were me I'd remove the tail stock from the end - it should slide right off. Then I'd disconnect the drive belt and unbolt the jack shaft assembly, and put the bolts in a zip lock bag and put it in my pocket so they don't get lost. Then I'd position the carriage where I want it and then engage the feed lever so it locks the carriage in place. That way once the lathe is tilted the carriage won't be able to move. I'd also remove the chuck. Since I normally do this work by myself with no additional help, I have a sturdy dolly that is able to handle the weight of lathes like this one. I would get a wide and sturdy (thick) board and slide it underneath the tail end of the lathe first, and then once it is underneath it pick up the head stock end and get the board underneath the entire lathe. Then I'd secure the lathe to the board with whatever type of bolts/deck screws/ etc. are appropriate to use. This makes transporting it easier. For safety reasons the lathe must be securely fastened to the board so that it will not move at all. At this point I'd lift the board at the headstock (heavier) end of the lathe and carefully and slowly pull it off perpendicular to the table while still letting the tail end remain on the bench and then carefully lower the headstock end until it is sitting on the floor. Note that only the end of the board should be touching the floor and not the lathe itself. Then I'd grab the dolly and put it next to lathe. I'd lift the tail stock end off of the bench (this is easy at this point) until the board is nearly vertical and carefully walk to the end of the board sitting on the floor onto the base of the dolly. Secure the lathe to the dolly with proper strapping. Wheel it out of the basement and onto the transport vehicle. Secure it is place in the vehicle and transport it home. I have done this many times without a single problem. And I have used the same board for this purpose every time.

Maui
 
Last edited:
OP
P

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75
Maui

I really appreciate the time you took to reply, many thanks.

This is my first lathe and so I am going to use it to get used to the fundamentals and then maybe add a newer machine in a year or so.

I will go research how to break this thing down using your post above as a guide.

Again, thanks!
 

dr_clyde

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
6,541
Location
Holland, MI
That is probably every bit of 5-600 lbs. I would want help. My South Bend heavy 10 with cast base is roughly that size, and I use the fork truck to move it around.
 

Mandres

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
1,169
Great score! I would also guess ~500 lbs. with the bench. Definitely remove the tailstock and carriage (might need to remove a stop to get this) and see if you can handle the bed and headstock as one piece.
 

Maui

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
2,944
Location
Upstate NY
I have a Logan 10" lathe in my basement, and this is how I moved it.

Maui
 
Last edited:

matt_i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
10,843
Location
SE Michigan
As others have stated its not a 2 man job. I would bring 4 (total) healthy helpers to get that off the bench. Keep in mind it can be oily or greasy and hard to get a grip on, a roll of paper towels and some degreaser would be helpful.

Also a lathe, especially that one with the topside drive, is really top heavy.

Best is bring your digital camera (phone) take a boat load of pics of every angle, then get out your sockets and wrenches and start taking it apart. I would try to place every bolt back into its original location so you don't forget.

I have moved a lathe like that with a 2 wheel "refrigerator" truck, load it on the truck with the truck horizontal, use 1" ratchet straps to supplement the tension-belt so it can't flop, a big bowl of Wheaties, and then pick it up to balance position. It helps to have a friend or two for that part so you don't get a hernia.

Also helpful can be an engine hoist, but reference above about the machine being top-heavy and wanting to tip over.
 
OP
P

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75
Many thanks everyone. I will report back on how it went, so that it might help others in the future.
 

jonesg

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
1,698
Location
northern Maine/
Many thanks everyone. I will report back on how it went, so that it might help others in the future.

I moved my south bend 9 with auto feed and threading gearbox myself, im certain mine weighed much more.

2 guys, not sheilas, will have no problem once the drive pulley and motor are pulled.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
P

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75

Attachments

  • 7382-8.jpg
    7382-8.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 7382-7.jpg
    7382-7.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 7382-6.jpg
    7382-6.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 7382-5.jpg
    7382-5.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 7382-3.jpg
    7382-3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 7382-2.jpg
    7382-2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 7382-1.jpg
    7382-1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
P

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75
A few more.

Please comment if there is anything of note in these photos as I am a complete newbie when it comes to these machines.

I expect I will be cleaning it up over the next few months. Oh, and I also scored a nice vise there too!!
 

Attachments

  • 7382-9.jpg
    7382-9.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 7382-10.jpg
    7382-10.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 26
  • 7382-11.jpg
    7382-11.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 7382-12.jpg
    7382-12.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 7370-1.jpg
    7370-1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

cvairwerks

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 12, 2016
Messages
7,382
Location
Within hearing distance of Texas Motor Speedway
Hard to tell, but it looks like you have a Handy series lathe, with some kluging for power. The apron may or may not be original to that lathe. You would need to really delve into Seneca Falls history to be sure. There should be a set of patent dates on the bed casting face, under the head stock, and possibly a casting date on the bed face,near the tail stock end.

Should be a decent project and tool to learn on. Just remember with the open belt drives and gearing, to be cognoscente of where all your body parts and clothes are when it's running.

Also understand that this style lathe does not use roller or cone bearings, so it will be very sensitive to needing oil as it is run. If you take any bearing housing apart, pay close attention to any shims, their orientation and position.
 
Last edited:

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
A few more.

Please comment if there is anything of note in these photos as I am a complete newbie when it comes to these machines.

I expect I will be cleaning it up over the next few months. Oh, and I also scored a nice vise there too!!

In one of the photos above you show a stack of 3 gears in a box. Look around to see if any more are about as there should be 8-10 in a complete set. These gears are what you use to set the machine to cut different threads. Also look around for any chucks, steadies, tool holders, or other bits.

lg
no neat sig line
 

SRSemenza

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2017
Messages
618
Hey, that's cool!

I am close to Seneca Falls. Go passed that place regularly.

Seth
 

Maui

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
2,944
Location
Upstate NY
I live pretty close to Seneca Falls myself. I see those lathes come up on Craigslist regularly.
 
OP
P

Pcoghlan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
75
Just a quick update on this.

Managed to get it picked up and transported back yesterday PM.

Lifted the lighter end of the lathe/cabinet and lowered on top a furniture dolly. Did the same at the heavier (very heavy) end and same. Once it was mobile, I carefully wheeled it out to the truck and proceeded to strip down everything above the bed except the lower gears/box.

Once the motor and jack shaft arrangement was off it became a lot less tippy and when the carriage etc was removed it was light enough to be able to drag it onto a set of rollers in the tuck bed and from there it was easier. Simply lifted the cabinet onto the truck bed and away we go. About 90 mins from start to finish and I was taking my time. All lifting was just manually done, no need for winches etc but I admit the heavy end was close to my limit.

So, anyone in a similar situation. It can be done solo as indicated above by Maui, just take your time, some photos and some dollies/rollers. Thanks for all the feedback above.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom