To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

KwikFab

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2024
Messages
1,482
Location
Central Valley, CA
We have had so much rain this summer I went for weeks not opening storage shelter/farm shop door to turn on well pump for garden irrigation. About 2 months ago I did so and found we had a pair of pigeons inside that were making a hell of a mess. Opened the door all of the way and chased them out (I thought). I don't - or didn't - know enough about pigeons, so a couple weeks later opened the door to a huge mess. Climbed all over and found a gap a corner where they had built a nest - that I destroyed....I thought. Again went in and damned if they weren't still inside! Tried everything to scare them out but if I went one way they just went to opposite side or corner. Brought my trusty old airsoft out and lobbed a lot of 25 gram BBs at them but it is an old thing with no loader and a tiny mag, so 7 shots hand inserted and fired took at least 5 minutes. Can't use my air rifle as this is a tensioned fabric structure and it would blow holes an airsoft won't. I could only score a direct hit maybe one in 10 shots as the birds stayed 10 meters away and these are point and shoot devices, not really aimable. Pretty much watch the BB and adjust next shot to correct. Then the mag fell 10' and smashed so now up the creek - found the birds returned to the small pile of twigs left over from me destroying the nest and laid 2 eggs...IN SEPTEMBER???? Besty told me only real way to win was kill them, but inside a fabric structure not that easy. Decided to try more airsoft scare so headed to Cabellas and bought a Mauser rated at 400 FPS and returned. Was going to get grandson to act as bird dog to flush them, but thought I had better try a dry run to see how things might unfold. Unlike the old gun, this thing had enough muzzle velocity I could seldom actually see the BB. When I shot at the birds instead of just scaring them it actually injured them, so now no choice but to finished them off. Landing shots on head did the job, and the 18 shot mag with loader gave enough chance to zero in. Felt sorry for them but now have weeks of work to clean up the unbelievable mess.

Back in home shop: got bottom side of deck framework painted. Buddy talked me into putting a screen over back window gap in headache rack, and that took about 2 hours to paint with a brush!! Will turn it right side up this morning and weld out screen and a pair of dropside latch tabs. Paint will follow and put floor boards on tomorrow.

Pigeons are so disgusting...we have a problem of our own here in our neighborhood and well, a bit harder to use a bb gun or anything that can damage property around us.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

KwikFab

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2024
Messages
1,482
Location
Central Valley, CA
Flying rats.

That's just part of the reason why I've taken to helping the stray cats around here (after they're fixed of course).

The worst part is when you see one walking around on its last leg, then it croaks and it vomits/urinates itself.

Bio-hazard by itself so we always take caution in bagging it up and throwing it away.
 

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
we had a pair of pigeons inside that were making a hell of a mess.
Feathered rats out here. I've been hired to clean out a couple of barns with my air pistols.

If you're in a rural area, 'though, they do make some good eatin'. A fair amount of breast meat on 'em, and a hell of a lot bigger than mourning doves.
 

dwasifar

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
2,159
Lawnmower repair. Darn Honda just quit on me during a mow, after only 20 years. :D One $13 China carb and tune-up kit from Amazon later, and she runs again. Not that I use it much these days, it's just a backup for the Ego mower, but I still want it to work.

Also installed these garage door opener braces that really should have been there all along:

1789928599447.png

These flimsy Clopay builder-grade doors are thin stamped metal, and you're not supposed to attach the opener bracket directly to them without additional support. I've been getting away with not having these braces for a long time, but when the spring went, the opener strained to open the unsprung door, and did a little damage up at the top of the support. I hammered it back into place, but I figure it's "Here's your sign" to install the braces I should have put there 20 years ago when I installed the openers. 2-pack for $25 at Amazon. (The third door already had one, which I put there when I replaced the door some years back.)
 

Old Man Roger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
18,628
Location
Palm Coast Florida
When I was a kid our apartment complex was infested with pigeons after a large fire down town burned all the old wood buildings the lived on. The maintenance man gave us a penny a pigeon.lol We loved shooting BB guns with permission and filled trash bags full of pigeons. We thought we were great white hunters.lol
 

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
Plan was to go out for a drive this afternoon. Best laid plans and all that....

I stopped by the shop (I should know better) and heard a loud slurping sound. The glycol pump that runs our fermenter cooling system was sucking air--not good in a lot of ways.

I'm adding 90 gallons of 3/1 water/propylene glycol (food grade) to our glycol back tank:

55539219357_9de49422f5_b.jpg

I had 30 gallons of pure propylene glycol remaining in the 55 gal barrel. Topped it up with 25 gallons of water and I'm pumping it in with one of those little drill pumps. Looks like about 1 gpm, so it will be a while.

After that, I'll add another ~35 gal. of water to get my mix right. I'll add it a bit at a time and check with my refractometer to get the mix just right.
 
Last edited:

larry4406

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
20,567
Location
Northern Virginia
Plan was to go out for a drive this afternoon. Best laid plans and all that....

I stopped by the shop (I should know better) and heard a loud slurping sound. The glycol pump that runs our fermenter cooling system was sucking air--not good in a lot of ways.

I'm adding 90 gallons of 3/1 water/propylene glycol (food grade) to our glycol back tank:

55539219357_9de49422f5_b.jpg

I had 30 gallons remaining in the 55 gal barrel. Topped it up with 25 gallons of water and I'm pumping it in with one of those little drill pumps. Looks like about 1 gpm, so it will be a while.

After that, I'll add another ~35 gal. of water to get my mix right. I'll add it a bit at a time and check with my refractometer to get the mix just right.
Hopefully the leakage is external and not into the brew…
 

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
Hopefully the leakage is external and not into the brew…
The glycol solution is dyed deep blue. We once had a leak into a fermenter and it turned the beer bright green. ***** to have to dump 30 brewer's barrels (31 gal/bbl) of finished beer, but serving glycol to our customer base--even food-grade--would be worse.

Leaks are entirely external and I know where they are. It's just that we can't afford to hire a pressure vessel/sanitary cert welder from out of town to fix them. My TIG skills are not up to that job anymore.

The dye also makes it much easier to find a leak in a place full of dripping condensation.
 
Last edited:

SMOKEYBEAR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
528
Kinda all over the place today, good bit of sanding on the table, 1st of probably 3 coats of Tung Oil, make a quick fixture to hold my little torch I use to heat up my makers mark ( I'm still certain there is a better way), fit 2 hammer handles, wedge currently drying with some final finishes tomorrow, and some clean up...
 

Attachments

  • 920.jpg
    920.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 9201.jpg
    9201.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 9204.jpg
    9204.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 9203.jpg
    9203.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 9202.jpg
    9202.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 9205.jpg
    9205.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 22

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
Transfer complete. My estimate of flow rate was close--it took just under an hour.

Notice that I'm using a corded, gear-reduction drill to drive the pump? If you want to see what the magic smoke in your cordless drill looks like, running under load for an hour will do it.

I set up a cheap flow gauge to star adding water:

55540479373_a705cd15d7_b.jpg

Then thought about it for a second. I now have no glycol to add if I overshoot the water, so maybe I better check the gravity before I add any. Damned good thing: The gravity was exactly where I wanted it (27 degrees Brix (same thing as degrees Plato, if you were wondering)) without adding any more water.

Adding the 55 gal of mix surprisingly didn't stress the cooling system at all. It stayed at a steady 23F the entire time.

While I was waiting for the transfer to complete, I had another chore I've been putting off for a warm, sunny day: Washing my office chair. After a long, dirty, sweaty summer, the upholstery was getting kinda' gross.

55540523304_2bddeb2661_b.jpg

Drying in the sun.
 
Last edited:

SMOKEYBEAR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
528
I prefer my Maker's Mark on the rocks.

Here's how I heat our company branding iron:

53372206430_5b1c006132_b.jpg

not that much different, give or take about a hundred years of technology.
I saw one of those at the flee market/ garage sale yesterday and passed on it. I don't know enough about them to evaluate before a purchase..

I prefer my Makers Mark in someone else's glass, not my favorite
 

welder4956

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
3,126
Location
Birmingham, AL USA
Flung, put away, then replaced the drive belt on the riding mower...again. The first $17 Amazon special belt lasted for 1-1/2 mows before it was chewed up and jumped a pulley. I may have installed it incorrectly around the outside of a pulley belt guard, so I double checked the owners manual this time to be sure. Hoping there are no premature issues with the replacement belt.

20260920_150709.jpg
 

kaymccampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
30,173
Location
Upstate New York
Good to hear you're back at it again, Kay. I trust this is an indication that your condition continues to improve.
It's definitely gonna be a long slow haul up a steep hill, but I'm getting there. Hopefully. However, this does seen the time of year that long covid does the annual nail me to the fence with something new and unusual again.
 

kaymccampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
30,173
Location
Upstate New York
I need to do this on my 2019 Ford Escape front wheel drive SEL.

I found this link that explains the sequence to retract the electric emergency brake and later reset it.
So far, the best and most reliable way has been to disengage the ebrake, do your brake service, during assembly, pull the brake motor, manually retract the screw piston, then compress the hydraulic piston, reassemble, and engage and disengage the ebrake. Worked a treat for me.
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Cleaned Grout early AM bleached sprayed the remainder late AM adn I just touched up where some of that was missing or eroded grout.

Pulled my sons Tent cot out and shop vacuumed the dust off the cover. He wants to use it this year hunting to get off the potentially wet ground...
 

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
Looking through the boneyard for something I can make an intake for my new air cleaner and snorkel set from.

I came up with this

55540767573_a59fe9b97c_b.jpg

Just need to weld that angle on. A fifteen-minute job!

I'll swap the MIG over to SS wire and Tri Mix and git it done. Remove the general-purpose steel wire and fit the SS spool in. Start to feed it down the whip... it gets right up to the gun and then a bird's nest at the feed roller. F me! I installed a Teflon liner a couple of years ago and it seems using that for regular wire has worn it out. F' it! I'll just put the regular **** back in there... nope. Ain't happening.

I bought this stinger and gun from Oxarc a few years ago. When the steel liner wore through (in about a year), it became obvious that Oxarc doesn't carry liners for their own, branded whips! I was able to cobble together the end parts of the liner to make a generic PTFE liner work and I guess I'll have to do that again.

So I'll be working on my TIG skills for a bit....
 

gearhead1960

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Mar 21, 2019
Messages
2,003
Location
Manassas, VA, a small blot in history
So far, the best and most reliable way has been to disengage the ebrake, do your brake service, during assembly, pull the brake motor, manually retract the screw piston, then compress the hydraulic piston, reassemble, and engage and disengage the ebrake. Worked a treat for me.
Exactly the method I used on my Mini/BMW and Subaru Outback. Worked like a charm and no codes.
 

Beerhippie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
10,853
Location
Far NE Oregon
Sounded like you needed to brush up anyway earlier.
The main problem with my TIG welding isn't something that can be fixed with practice: Manual dexterity and eyesight have degraded enough to make it difficult.

Fortunately, this isn't sanitary, pressure or structural, so I can goof around some. It would be nice if it looked halfway decent, but it'll be eight feet in the air so....
 
Last edited:

Fordguy1964

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2015
Messages
3,951
Location
Houston County, Alabama
Finished rebuilding the ultra rare and expensive Autolite 4100 C3OF-AJ carb. Then got it mounted on the car. I only have to get the engine filled with antifreeze and the gas tank filled with gas and she is ready for a test run. Can't wait to be able to take it around the block for the first time since tearing it down. As soon as the exhaust gets here I'll be ready.
48500.jpg
48499.jpg
 

rharman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
9,255
Location
SoCal
Threw out my collect I on of wires that I will never use.
Going thru my FIL stuff inspired this. Please show your support it was a very difficult momemt.😅17898429067354647317097200182166.jpg

I have a full drawer of tv and computer related cables and wires in the house and a full drawer of appliances cords and automotive wiring in the garage.lol

I understand, I have a bin of ****/obsolete wire, cables, wall warts, landline stuff, computer parts, obsolete audio gear, etc. I should really toss it.

About a year ago, I finally went through my hoard of computer cable stuff. OMG.... So much junk. Including a bunch of RCA cables from when we had DirectTV or some such nonsense. Coax from when we had cable TV, even an old parallel printer cable. Threw away a ton.

A couple of days ago, I pull out the box as I'm looking for a particular USB cable. And.... I come across 3 or 4 of these! I doubt I need even one so they got tossed. But, true to form, I did keep one.... Just in case!

1789967577551.png
 

kaymccampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
30,173
Location
Upstate New York
About a year ago, I finally went through my hoard of computer cable stuff. OMG.... So much junk. Including a bunch of RCA cables from when we had DirectTV or some such nonsense. Coax from when we had cable TV, even an old parallel printer cable. Threw away a ton.

A couple of days ago, I pull out the box as I'm looking for a particular USB cable. And.... I come across 3 or 4 of these! I doubt I need even one so they got tossed. But, true to form, I did keep one.... Just in case!

1789967577551.png
You better hang onto them, they're coming back again. I've got two brand new devices with those power ports. Kinda blew my mind there.
 

larry4406

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
20,567
Location
Northern Virginia
So far, the best and most reliable way has been to disengage the ebrake, do your brake service, during assembly, pull the brake motor, manually retract the screw piston, then compress the hydraulic piston, reassemble, and engage and disengage the ebrake. Worked a treat for me.
Did the disengage procedure not work?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom