To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

Tossin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
87
Location
Mason, MI
Mostly cleaned up and put things away today.

Same here. I did a little work to replace a headlight mount that broke on the Corvette. I also took my daughter for a quick ride - got the car filled up, added stabil, and warmed up. Pretty much put away for the winter. Unless we get a really nice day between now and March 23, it'll stay in the garage.

I'm sure y'all are asking why March 23...March 23 will be 50 years to the day that the car was assembled...the next major date is April 5 - the 50th anniversary of my father taking delivery of the car from the dealership he ordered it from. Yes, it's odd, but there are so many sentimental memories and moments attached to this car that I feel it's necessary to honor my late father.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

TheJudge

Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2014
Messages
23
Location
Fingerlakes, New York
Helped my old man put on a new pass-thru door so we dont have to use the big slider door to get in and out. Being that its close to winter here in NY, trying to retain heat in the shop is key. Now the big door can stay locked, and we can use the pass thru door to go in and out of the shop.
 

bodyguy16

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
1,016
Location
QC, Canada
Same here. I did a little work to replace a headlight mount that broke on the Corvette. I also took my daughter for a quick ride - got the car filled up, added stabil, and warmed up. Pretty much put away for the winter. Unless we get a really nice day between now and March 23, it'll stay in the garage.

I'm sure y'all are asking why March 23...March 23 will be 50 years to the day that the car was assembled...the next major date is April 5 - the 50th anniversary of my father taking delivery of the car from the dealership he ordered it from. Yes, it's odd, but there are so many sentimental memories and moments attached to this car that I feel it's necessary to honor my late father.
Those are some great memories to hold on too, nothing wrong or weird about it. It just shows how much you care, i saw your video of the ride you filmed with your daughter and how she looked up at you, your're definately doing good. Keep creating and sharing great memories!
 

Jerm188

Active member
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
28
Location
Burlington, NC
Made a 6 foot growth chart for wife for our 2 sons. Birthday coming up and she's been asking to buy one for months.
92f378388804cf28e6ca26cc1182a643.jpg
 

Show7d3

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2014
Messages
84
I powdercoated an aluminum turbo compressor housing for a co-worker's brother. It started out as a rough casting so I sanded and polished it before coating with candy blue. I'm using a Eastwood Hotcoat gun and have been happy with it, but would like to upgrade to something better with adjustable power. I started doing parts for myself several years ago and now I coat a few parts for friends.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01091.JPG
    DSC01091.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01092.JPG
    DSC01092.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 60

56vette461

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2013
Messages
498
Location
Northern California
Not in the garage, but went to the Goodguy's automotive show and swap meet in Pleasanton, CA today. Picked up some odds and ends for the shop. Sometime's it is better than CL and the sellers are usually pretty cool folks.
 

CudaChick1968

Member Emeritus
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
1,800
Location
Northwest Tennessee (38230)
I powdercoated an aluminum turbo compressor housing for a co-worker's brother. It started out as a rough casting so I sanded and polished it before coating with candy blue. I'm using a Eastwood Hotcoat gun and have been happy with it, but would like to upgrade to something better with adjustable power. I started doing parts for myself several years ago and now I coat a few parts for friends.

Nice! Polishing is a ton of work but it sure looks gorgeous when it's done. I'm sure your co-worker's brother is very happy.
 

bmxdad

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
2,539
Location
Puyallup, WA
Installed my new door opener ... a LM3800.

Pulled wire and connected to panel, 240v 50amp and 30 amp circuits ... Welder and compressor.
 

Tossin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
87
Location
Mason, MI
Those are some great memories to hold on too, nothing wrong or weird about it. It just shows how much you care, i saw your video of the ride you filmed with your daughter and how she looked up at you, your're definately doing good. Keep creating and sharing great memories!

Thanks. It's taken a while for my wife to come to understand my attachment to it (and other material possessions) - she's a lot more practical and willing to throw things out than I am. Over the course of our marriage, I've become a little less sentimental about some things (i.e., willing to get rid of some things away that clearly have no more value) and she's started to understand and appreciate my attachment. I don't know if it's my influence, the kids, the sudden loss of her mother this year, or the combination of the three, but we're both more understanding of the other's perspective.

To keep on topic, I started cleaning out the garage yesterday for the winter. I'm going to try to finish it out today and tomorrow before the weather goes south; plus putting together the short list of work to be done on the Corvette over the winter.
 
Last edited:

rmalkow2

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
4,087
Location
Brighton, MI
Did a bunch of re-arrangement on one side to get rid of a large cabinet that I did not need and make winter space to both park my daily driver, work on the project car and, also have the snow blower handy near the main overhead door. If predictions are correct I'll need that snow blower a lot this winter.:mad:
Garage Space.jpg
 

Piece-it Pete

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
469
Location
Cleveland. We rock.
Went to a 'tool sale' I thought was garage-ish but ended up being a flea market guy, so the stuff in the CL pics was (way) too expensive, and he didn't deal hard enough for me, BUT he did have a $1 a pound table and I was surprised at the quality little stuff in there, Starett outside calipers, various quality pliers, etc etc so I've got 17# of little stuff I started cleaning lubing etc.

Got the studded snows on the back of the Grand Marquis and one blew out (gently). Didn't look at the date code but I bought them used 5 years ago iirc, time to change the other one as well.

Pete
 
Last edited:

k-os

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
995
Location
WI
Got three coats of Danish Oil on the new computer desk last night. Need to get a couple more coats on the underside.



 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Started a fire in the wood burner for some heat and to dry out some marigold seeds.



Yes, marigold seeds. I'm going to make an attempt at lining the entire ditch along the creek with marigolds. Hopefully they will take over the weeds and add a little color to the yard. My thought it that they will be self sustaining and multiply every year.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

GCncsuHD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
968
Location
Salisbury, NC
Made a 6 foot growth chart for wife for our 2 sons. Birthday coming up and she's been asking to buy one for months.
92f378388804cf28e6ca26cc1182a643.jpg

Nice, I had just finished one up for my wife last week.
Mounted new tires on the daily beater, took it for a quick romp around the woods to check for rubbing since I went up two sizes from a 245/70 to a 265/75r16, a jump of 2" in height and 1" in width. Oh well, they were $40 cheaper EACH than the stock size in the same tire.

Finished up a little project for the wife, she wanted a growth chart for the kids, something she had seen in Pottery Barn for $100+, made it for about $15. Went with an old hardware store yardstick kind of style.

IMAG0329 by wrfalcon75, on Flickr
 

JasonJ

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2006
Messages
424
Location
Las Vegas
Turned a Harley Air Cleaner cover into a clock, and at the moment, I have no idea what I am going to do with it. LOL
20141110103206-d36223ce.jpg
 

ITGuy1998

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
803
Location
Northern Alabama
My son is a Webelos II and we built a flashlight out of an altoids tin as part of the Craftsman activity badge requirements.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 10553492_10203948158841884_7978481465531306939_n.jpg
    10553492_10203948158841884_7978481465531306939_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,354

Kevin54

MEMBER EMERITUS
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
29,341
Location
Urbana, Ohio
Started a fire in the wood burner for some heat and to dry out some marigold seeds.



Yes, marigold seeds. I'm going to make an attempt at lining the entire ditch along the creek with marigolds. Hopefully they will take over the weeds and add a little color to the yard. My thought it that they will be self sustaining and multiply every year.

I'm lucky that doing that is strictly my wifes job. All I do is haul dirt and mulch for her. If I step into the garden, or flowerbeds, I get ran out. Oh....I do get to make the flowerbeds though and have one that I have to extend way out next year.
 

Cudajas

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Messages
280
Location
Cambridge Ontario Canada
Same here. I did a little work to replace a headlight mount that broke on the Corvette. I also took my daughter for a quick ride - got the car filled up, added stabil, and warmed up. Pretty much put away for the winter. Unless we get a really nice day between now and March 23, it'll stay in the garage.

I'm sure y'all are asking why March 23...March 23 will be 50 years to the day that the car was assembled...the next major date is April 5 - the 50th anniversary of my father taking delivery of the car from the dealership he ordered it from. Yes, it's odd, but there are so many sentimental memories and moments attached to this car that I feel it's necessary to honor my late father.

That's not odd, that is f'n awesome.

Of course I am a car guy and love vettes!

Jason
 

NewShockerGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
2,482
Location
Northern Virginia / DC
Started out with fixing a whine the merc made.... ended up replacing alternator since the pully was bad and I didn't want to spend $40 on a new pulley and $40 for a tool to remove said pulley... bought reman oem alter for 180. Replaced tensioner, belt, and idler pulley. Then still had a whine.. traced it to the AC compressor. Replaced that and the condensor since the idiot who worked on it before stripped the threads.... then got to thinking might as well detail it...

lol

Now it's back on the lift because I painted the brake calipers with g2 paint. Will be putting it back together tonight but turned out really nice looking. Nice and stealthy.. figured red on an non AMG car would look dumb as hell...hahaha

-Nigel
 

Attachments

  • 5e.jpg
    5e.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 4d.jpg
    4d.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 146

Scooter Scott

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
158
Location
McCordsville, IN
Started out with fixing a whine the merc made.... ended up replacing alternator since the pully was bad and I didn't want to spend $40 on a new pulley and $40 for a tool to remove said pulley... bought reman oem alter for 180. Replaced tensioner, belt, and idler pulley. Then still had a whine.. traced it to the AC compressor. Replaced that and the condensor since the idiot who worked on it before stripped the threads.... then got to thinking might as well detail it...

lol

Now it's back on the lift because I painted the brake calipers with g2 paint. Will be putting it back together tonight but turned out really nice looking. Nice and stealthy.. figured red on an non AMG car would look dumb as hell...hahaha

-Nigel

You DIDN'T buy the tool?!

TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD!! :lol_hitti

Tommy

You know you can rent those tools and get your $40 back...right?
 

TheOtherChris

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
226
Location
SE Idaho
Explained to my son why it is important to check the brake fluid once in a while and THEN helped him bleed the brakes on his Gen I Dodge Caravan that sucked air.
 

RustCollector

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2014
Messages
76
Location
Riverside,CA
I had small drawer organizers spread everywhere and some were so high that ! could not see in them without a step stool. So, on the blank wall left of the workbench I added this shelving unit. It, along with all my shelves and benches were made entirely from scrap construction site materials.
 

Attachments

  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 226
  • garage bench.JPG
    garage bench.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 210

greenbikemike

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2014
Messages
252
Location
Twin Cities,Minnesota
Last 2 days......got ready for winter.....Bobcat greased,oil and filter,snowblower ready,filled the bikes and car up,started my back-up generator,moved everything around so I could fit the bobcat and still fit my truck in.....and last but not least......fired up the shop heater,and found my shovel.....not the fun shovel[ shovelhead motorcycle],the shovel for SNOW!

Winters here....

Greenbikemike
 

Attachments

  • fixed driveway and shop pics.2014 014.jpg
    fixed driveway and shop pics.2014 014.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 88

zmotorsports

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Oct 20, 2009
Messages
21,679
Location
Northern Utah
Last 2 days......got ready for winter.....Bobcat greased,oil and filter,snowblower ready,filled the bikes and car up,started my back-up generator,moved everything around so I could fit the bobcat and still fit my truck in.....and last but not least......fired up the shop heater,and found my shovel.....not the fun shovel[ shovelhead motorcycle],the shovel for SNOW!

Winters here....

Greenbikemike

Yep, that *****. I did the same thing over the weekend.

Got the snowplow on the ATV and did a quick once over on the ATV so it is ready. Fired up the small snowblower so it is ready. Did a season end preventive maintenance on the leaf blower, line trimmer and lawnmower. Covered the A/C unit, washed the rain gutters out and put the front bench in the garage. I then pressure washed the entire house and driveway.

I did all of this on Saturday and Sunday and realized that was probably the last time this year I would be able to work in the shop with the large door open. Got home from work yesterday and it was mid-40's so on came the shop furnace.

Worst of all I had to put the coach away for a few months, until the next RV season. I did all of the winter prep work last week but went and parked it in storage Saturday morning before starting on everything else.

I refuse to put the Harleys away as I still am hopeful to be able to ride a few more times yet before snow flies.

Winter *****!!!!

Mike.
 

56vette461

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2013
Messages
498
Location
Northern California
Last 2 days......got ready for winter.....Bobcat greased,oil and filter,snowblower ready,filled the bikes and car up,started my back-up generator,moved everything around so I could fit the bobcat and still fit my truck in.....and last but not least......fired up the shop heater,and found my shovel.....not the fun shovel[ shovelhead motorcycle],the shovel for SNOW!

Winters here....

Greenbikemike

More pictures with the corvette please :drool: :willy_nil
 

BellyUpFish

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
2,942
Location
Alabama
Ouch, A Q-tip prop, That bite of the runway must have left some engine damage. Ricky's "let me splain it to you Lucy", :willy_nil, ain't gonna cover the description to the insurance company on that one. Where did you find that one?:dunno:


Pulled it off the front end of this after an engine failure during a touch and go..

26dad145e036a60f37b5b875959dc2c3.jpg
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom