To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
The absolute hardest thing is going to be when he starts building the suspension for his WJ. He did much of the machining on his LJ but I did the actual welding. He told me he wants to do ALL of the welding on this Jeep and it is off-limits to me. I told him that was conditional because NOTHING is going out of our shop if I don't feel it is safe or welded properly. I have been giving him scrap metal to weld lately and critiquing his progress. Although he is getting much better I want him to start working on out of position welds compared to sitting at a nice work bench and welding.

I am way outside of my comfort zone here so I have to tread lightly on the subject as I don't want to push him away from me over something like this and I want him to want to improve, not throw his hands up and say screw it. This is uncharted territory for me.

Good luck with your daughter, I hope you have good success keeping her interested in projects and enjoying her shop time with dad.
Thanks, and good luck and patience to both of us!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

DGersic

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2017
Messages
6,532
Location
DeKalb, IL
Some grinding, some welding, some cutting. Working on my workbench feet. Tomorrow I can tack the pieces together, drill and tap the mounting holes, and finish welding them together.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Boilerhouse

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
1,322
Location
Muskoka
Today minus 1; flushed the tank of a recently acquired weed eater, filled with new gas/oil, cleaned the plug. A few pulls and it ran like a top.
Today; cut some grass then winterized the push mower for winter storage. Tilled the garden then winterized the roto tiller for winter storage.
 

peter2772000

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2016
Messages
241
Location
Montreal Can. & Cape Coral FL
- Changed the oil on the Mercedes diesel
- Spilled black, sooty oil all over my floor while trying to pour the old oil into the oil containers
- Swore like a lumberjack and asked myself why I didn't just get the shop across from work to do it like I usually do....
- Tried to install a new Dimple magnetic plug in the oil pan only to find it's the wrong size
- Swore like a lumberjack and....... :p
 

Jim_No_Garage

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
3,367
Location
Millington NJ
Changed the oil on Mrs No_Garage's Dodge van. That went smoothly.

Rotated the tires on same van. Boogered up one of the lug nuts taking the LF rim off. I didn't set the socket all the way onto the lug before leaning on the breaker bar. Dodge lug nuts are apparently stamped metal somehow attached to a solid core. It took me a while to hammer a larger socket onto said boogered up lug and remove it. $4 later at the local auto parts store and I'm back in business.

Cheers

Jim
 

Mtlwright

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
58
Location
Arnprior, Ontario
Pulled the snow blower out and checked the oil (already changed but I couldn't help myself. It might have all leaked out you know), added gas (I drain it in the spring) and fired it up, checked all the controls and everything is working. Depressing task and we are having a warm October, but it has to be done. I hope it sits all winter (unlike last year when it felt like I was using it every day).

Spent the rest of the day bead blasting all the cases for my 750 engine overhaul. Almost there, I have two work benches full of clean bits. Almost time to start turning wrenches.

Nothing in the shop tomorrow. Supposed to be 22 degrees Celsius (just over 70 F) and the wife and I are going to spend the day riding the Voyager, lunching and admiring the fall colours.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Cheers,

Bill
 

01-7700

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
142
Location
Maine USA
Pulled the snow blower out and checked the oil (already changed but I couldn't help myself. It might have all leaked out you know), added gas (I drain it in the spring) and fired it up, checked all the controls and everything is working. Depressing task and we are having a warm October, but it has to be done. I hope it sits all winter (unlike last year when it felt like I was using it every day).

Spent the rest of the day bead blasting all the cases for my 750 engine overhaul. Almost there, I have two work benches full of clean bits. Almost time to start turning wrenches.

Nothing in the shop tomorrow. Supposed to be 22 degrees Celsius (just over 70 F) and the wife and I are going to spend the day riding the Voyager, lunching and admiring the fall colours.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Cheers,

Bill

good thing you checked the snowblower with those temps - it could get ugly real fast
 

peter2772000

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2016
Messages
241
Location
Montreal Can. & Cape Coral FL
Unseasonably warm here in Montreal as well. As far as I'm concerned, Mommy Nature is up to her old tricks. Give 'em a warm fall and then screw 'em over with $hitloads of snow and ungodly cold temps in the winter.

She can be a miserable old wench....
 

jumpstart

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
402
Location
Central MA
Could have gone in a couple threads, but here it is. A friend printed a Red Sox logo on some wrap material for me. I put it on some aluminum sheet and trimmed it out. Now up on the shop. I like how it came out.

20171021_155106.jpg
 

crewchief888

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
13,769
Location
NW indiana
step-daughter took her "new to her" car down to get emissions tested yesterday morning...
radiator decided to split open while she was sitting there..

we went down and got a replacement and new hoses, so i spent my saturday R&R'n the radiator..

ran it back down late afternoon for emissions...

they wouldnt test it..
i had the battery out changing the radiator:(



:beer:
 

peter2772000

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2016
Messages
241
Location
Montreal Can. & Cape Coral FL
step-daughter took her "new to her" car down to get emissions tested yesterday morning...
radiator decided to split open while she was sitting there..

we went down and got a replacement and new hoses, so i spent my saturday R&R'n the radiator..

ran it back down late afternoon for emissions...

they wouldnt test it..
i had the battery out changing the radiator:(



:beer:

Why would having the battery out be a big deal? Even if that erased codes, the actual emission test is what counts, no?
 

crewchief888

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
13,769
Location
NW indiana
Why would having the battery out be a big deal? Even if that erased codes, the actual emission test is what counts, no?

they lug into the car via the OBDII port, if they "see" no history they wont continue with the test.

what people used to do when they had a CEL on was disconnect the battery, and immediately run the car through emissions, (sometimes sitting right outside the test facility in plain view) effectively "cheating" the system.

i doubt that even if i wouldnt have had the battery out, that the car had been driven enough for them to test it. the car had been sitting for several weeks before she bought it, and had to be jump started the morning we picked it up.


:beer:
 

DGersic

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2017
Messages
6,532
Location
DeKalb, IL
Why would having the battery out be a big deal? Even if that erased codes, the actual emission test is what counts, no?


“Emissions” testing now is asking the OBD II system if there are any problems. Actual emissions via tailpipe sniffer no longer get checked.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

DGersic

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2017
Messages
6,532
Location
DeKalb, IL
Changed the oil on Mrs No_Garage's Dodge van. That went smoothly.



Rotated the tires on same van. Boogered up one of the lug nuts taking the LF rim off. I didn't set the socket all the way onto the lug before leaning on the breaker bar. Dodge lug nuts are apparently stamped metal somehow attached to a solid core. It took me a while to hammer a larger socket onto said boogered up lug and remove it. $4 later at the local auto parts store and I'm back in business.



Cheers



Jim


My Dakota has those. Cheap “chrome”lug nuts. When you booger up the sheetmetal cover, they’re a pain to get off. When the sheetmetal cover rusts out the tiny weld that holds it to the nut, it comes off, then the actual nut isn’t any size of socket at all, also fun to deal with.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Jazz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
4,198
Location
Thunder Bay On.
installed snow tires on wife's car and figured their is a difference in brake caliper sliders. The bottom one is different from the top one and was causing brake chatter. I had done brakes a few week back. Car is '08 Camry.
 

DGersic

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2017
Messages
6,532
Location
DeKalb, IL
Welded up my workbench feet. 3/4” nut on thick fender washer, both grade 8 with the coating sanded off. Ground the weld bead to fit in to the square tubing (left over from another project). Cut the washer to fit flush on one side. Tacked the square tube to some 1/4” plate I found in the middle of the road one day while out for a walk. Drilled and tapped a couple of 1/4-20 mounting holes. Then welded it all up.

8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg

I’m still working on teaching myself welding (MIG). The welds aren’t pretty, but penetration looks good. These will be inside the bench, so a little cleanup, a little black paint, and they’re good to go.

Below will be some adjustable feet made from 3/4” bolts and hockey pucks.

308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg

On the outside I’m adding retractable casters to make the bench movable (small garage). Originally I was only using the square tube, but when I mocked up the assembly, the wheels would hit the edge of the puck when rotating. Adding the 1/4” plate gained me enough clearance. That also gained me a thick material to tap, rather than trying to somehow put a nut on the inside.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • 308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg
    308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg
    8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 0

jumpstart

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
402
Location
Central MA
Welded up my workbench feet. 3/4” nut on thick fender washer, both grade 8 with the coating sanded off. Ground the weld bead to fit in to the square tubing (left over from another project). Cut the washer to fit flush on one side. Tacked the square tube to some 1/4” plate I found in the middle of the road one day while out for a walk. Drilled and tapped a couple of 1/4-20 mounting holes. Then welded it all up.

8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg

I’m still working on teaching myself welding (MIG). The welds aren’t pretty, but penetration looks good. These will be inside the bench, so a little cleanup, a little black paint, and they’re good to go.

Below will be some adjustable feet made from 3/4” bolts and hockey pucks.

308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg

On the outside I’m adding retractable casters to make the bench movable (small garage). Originally I was only using the square tube, but when I mocked up the assembly, the wheels would hit the edge of the puck when rotating. Adding the 1/4” plate gained me enough clearance. That also gained me a thick material to tap, rather than trying to somehow put a nut on the inside.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice
 

Attachments

  • 308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg
    308cd28b1eb65fa44d4b9b6ce30d7d94.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg
    8245a69a16724ad9dd578833bbe94cd7.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 2

mray312

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
79
Made a barn door to hide my electrical service panel in the garage. It's overkill but I wanted to try out DIY barn door hardware plans. Got $60 in flat steel and garage pulley wheels - way better than spending $150 or more on a barn door kit from HD.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 692

rmmiller

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
2,410
Location
Kennewick, WA
Slowly working towards having a bench in my new garage. I've had the steel for a couple weeks and picked up two solid core doors from a Habitat store yesterday. I used one of the doors to build a jig for welding the uprights. Sound like a familiar process? It should, stole the idea from Steevo! Next up is loading it in the truck and taking it to work to weld it. I have no 220 in the garage yet and until I can load all my **** in the boxes I have no room to maneuver around and run wiring.
 

adamgayton81

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
121
Location
North Alabama
Carved pumpkins with my wife and daughter...theirs is the owl, mine is the jack-o-lantern 2b5b0350a51ddf5ff121803fd31849fb.jpg94a518823b6b4c2d1ec9bdde3dc60bda.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • 2b5b0350a51ddf5ff121803fd31849fb.jpg
    2b5b0350a51ddf5ff121803fd31849fb.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 94a518823b6b4c2d1ec9bdde3dc60bda.jpg
    94a518823b6b4c2d1ec9bdde3dc60bda.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 0

MemphisR32

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2014
Messages
155
What did you do "IN" your garage today?

Finished up last night painting the garage of the new house we are moving into. I forgot a before photo but it was full of old cabinets and other random stuff. Stripped it out fitted some lighting, new garage opener and patch/mudded the wall. It’s now a fresh slate to start my build.

378f92af7be99437679a70e4cb3c27fe.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 378f92af7be99437679a70e4cb3c27fe.jpg
    378f92af7be99437679a70e4cb3c27fe.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 0

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Made a barn door to hide my electrical service panel in the garage. It's overkill but I wanted to try out DIY barn door hardware plans. Got $60 in flat steel and garage pulley wheels - way better than spending $150 or more on a barn door kit from HD.
This is very cool, nice job creating that hardware. Like the french cleats, too, if that's what I'm seeing.

If you have something that won't mind the movement, add a couple of cleats to the door and you'll go right over the top!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 

isb cornbinder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
7,072
Location
Pacific South West, BC, Canada
I like old fat-fender-pickups. My choice of poison is IHC. It started with finding my Dad's 1953 IHC pickup.
I installed a Diesel, 4X4 and air springs in this one.
I was in the shop waiting for someone to show-up. After two hours past the agreed time, I went in the house. That late is too late. I did not go back outside.
 

Attachments

  • R120 IHC DAD'S '53.jpg
    R120 IHC DAD'S '53.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70

scullydjwva

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
45
Location
Apple Valley Ca
Getting rid of the ugly *** taillights on my thing , removing these ones fill the hole and going to use 58-61 bus lights for taillight and brake and 67-71 bus back ups for the turn signal/ back up lights.
 

Attachments

  • 20171022_154416.jpg
    20171022_154416.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 110

mray312

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
79
This is very cool, nice job creating that hardware. Like the french cleats, too, if that's what I'm seeing.

If you have something that won't mind the movement, add a couple of cleats to the door and you'll go right over the top!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Those are French cleats. I did the entire garage floor to ceiling about 2 years ago. I love the modular storage it offers. I did suggest putting French cleats on the barn door but my wife shot the idea down. :dunno:
 

mray312

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
79
This is very cool, nice job creating that hardware. Like the french cleats, too, if that's what I'm seeing.

If you have something that won't mind the movement, add a couple of cleats to the door and you'll go right over the top!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk


Those are French cleats. I did the entire garage floor to ceiling about 2 years ago. I love the modular storage it offers. I did suggest putting French cleats on the barn door but my wife shot the idea down. :dunno:
 

cjcocn

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
152
Location
Manitoba, Canada
My Dakota has those. Cheap “chrome”lug nuts. When you booger up the sheetmetal cover, they’re a pain to get off. When the sheetmetal cover rusts out the tiny weld that holds it to the nut, it comes off, then the actual nut isn’t any size of socket at all, also fun to deal with.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2015 F150 had those nuts as well.

After buying a set of 24 to get rid of them (the chrome plating was getting buggered up) I took the old ones and removed the plating.

Now I have an extra set of lug nuts that take a 20mm socket (which wasn't in my impact kit so I had to order a single from amazon.

Sure is nice not having to worry about those lug nuts when I rotate the tires.

:thumbup:
 

kgp50

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
16
Location
NE Oklahoma
I like old fat-fender-pickups. My choice of poison is IHC. It started with finding my Dad's 1953 IHC pickup.
I installed a Diesel, 4X4 and air springs in this one.
I was in the shop waiting for someone to show-up. After two hours past the agreed time, I went in the house. That late is too late. I did not go back outside.

Beautiful old International Cornbinder, and some creative mods. I too sort of lean toward the 'dark side' of mildly customized old trucks, but I can't hold a candle to where you've gone with yours. Nice work!
 

OH_Varmntr

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Messages
320
Location
Ohio
What did you do "IN" your garage today?

‘Tis the mouse trap season!


I fired up the outdoor wood burner and got my 800 gallons of storage up to 185*. Had to remove the clean out cap and knock a bunch of creosote buildup out of the elbow. Works much better now.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom