To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

sstec

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
45
Hung my boiler and pump panel, ran gas line from meter into shop.
Waiting for final hook up fittings.
sstec
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20171217_150630338 (002).jpg
    IMG_20171217_150630338 (002).jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 110
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

johnehr

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2013
Messages
103
Location
Oak Grove, Minnesota
Tore into my FIL's riding lawnmower engine, hoping to bring it back to him running before the New Year. The governor shouldn't be in that many pieces!

86a494874a08a6f18e2d5a596e86123a.jpg


209913a861177907b38741ad08138db3.jpg


f48df3376fcdacd9d6ffe97634f9203f.jpg
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Re: What did you do "IN" your garage today?

Tell me more about this. (Link?) I’ve not seen it.

I’ve been looking for ANYthing to provide a barrier of any value on all of the exposed metal of the doors.

Even after paying extra to use three insulated doors, the design of them means that I still have the equivalent of one 8x7 UNinsulated door in the building.

Its this stuff:
attachment.php



Link to one size roll, you can get 16" and I believe 48" wide...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Barrier-2-ft-x-100-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-with-Double-Air-DD24100/204476653?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D22-Insulation%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn2jIw8ZI07QJS1tsCX5g-6_vR9WW4IqgNRV2ap21xodh_lrTMLzaYcaAkGbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJSH3sG4ktgCFQJjfgodOAQCtA
 

Attachments

  • reach-barrier-radiant-barrier-dd24100-c3_1000.jpg
    reach-barrier-radiant-barrier-dd24100-c3_1000.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 630

hemifalcon

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
708
Location
Union Grove, Wisconsin
Started in the attached garage.. ends in the kitchen... I managed to get the bowling alley countertop in and mounted by myself.. it's all maple with 3/4" oak surround.. it's 43-3/4" wide and 94" long.. I estimate 370lbs..

a8bd4bd847357ac4669e8189b4c02bfe.jpg


1967e0fc59be2eb96858871744f1e332.jpg


And the target appearance idea..>>>

59e1d9f806349961b7b65b4879cf6266.jpg



Also had the help of my brother to move the concrete countertop in as well.. 26-1/2" deep, 76" long, 3" thick, 19-1/8"x35-1/8" hollow in center for cooktop.. probably close to the same weight as the island top.. it was cast upside down in a melamine mold.. I have to do a little work to do to finish the appearance.. there is one imperfection I'm calling a "vein"on the right side from a crack in the melamine mold.. I have some diamond hand polishing pads I'm going to try later this week..

e85a5a252e1f32d57c3887778424b3ea.jpg


b1a4773d9c6d7a1f5611a298f67789c1.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Steve_mc0

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
280
Location
Brisbane, QLD Australia
Started in the attached garage.. ends in the kitchen... I managed to get the bowling alley countertop in and mounted by myself.. it's all maple with 3/4" oak surround.. it's 43-3/4" wide and 94" long.. I estimate 370lbs..

a8bd4bd847357ac4669e8189b4c02bfe.jpg


1967e0fc59be2eb96858871744f1e332.jpg


And the target appearance idea..>>>

59e1d9f806349961b7b65b4879cf6266.jpg



Also had the help of my brother to move the concrete countertop in as well.. 26-1/2" deep, 76" long, 3" thick, 19-1/8"x35-1/8" hollow in center for cooktop.. probably close to the same weight as the island top.. it was cast upside down in a melamine mold.. I have to do a little work to do to finish the appearance.. there is one imperfection I'm calling a "vein"on the right side from a crack in the melamine mold.. I have some diamond hand polishing pads I'm going to try later this week..

e85a5a252e1f32d57c3887778424b3ea.jpg


b1a4773d9c6d7a1f5611a298f67789c1.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm super keen to give the diy concrete countertop a go! Seen a few vids on YouTube
Any pointers you can give me?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

mike528

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
504
Location
Shelby county Ohio
Finally got motivated to replace the rusted rear brake lines on my brothers 01 accord. Then got the wife's car in for the first time in 9 months.
qQmMIO.jpg
 

hemifalcon

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
708
Location
Union Grove, Wisconsin
I'm super keen to give the diy concrete countertop a go! Seen a few vids on YouTube
Any pointers you can give me?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk



Just go for it.. take your time and do as much reading as necessary to motivate and make yourself comfortable.. Cheng concrete (google) has some great tips and info.. just take your time and go for it when you're ready.. pm me if you have any questions and I'll share what u e learned gladly..


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

PhantomEB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
7,109
Location
Medicine Hat, AB, Canuckistan
Put in my tacked up custom gas tank as per specs given.....1" too wide.... easy fix, narrow the sides on one side. Slide up and tack in the mounts. Now to drop it 1 3/8", match mark it then drop tank for finish welding as well plumbing.
 

RivennHewn

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2011
Messages
10,422
Location
PNW
Wife went out to dinner with friends, and thought that the seafood curry was sooooooo F'n good that she'd bring home her leftovers.

She failed to 'secure her load' and the curry sauce spilt. It no only got on the carpet (that's the easy part) but it got underneath the carpet, under and into the seat tracks, and into all the slider door hardware, wiring chase ways, and plastic interior trims.

I got to spend the day tearing apart the dang car.

****, it still stinks like *** in there

SdOR
 

cjcocn

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
152
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Finally found time to finish up the Argo and only have to install the rubber trim and winch bracket.

Then it gets driving outside and parked so that I have room to bring in the 1950 Chevy Styleline that's going in for a restoration.
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
LMAO! I'm so sorry man, that's probably on the top 10 list of things you wouldn't want spilled in the car! I bet it has to smell like something up and died!

Wife went out to dinner with friends, and thought that the seafood curry was sooooooo F'n good that she'd bring home her leftovers.

She failed to 'secure her load' and the curry sauce spilt. It no only got on the carpet (that's the easy part) but it got underneath the carpet, under and into the seat tracks, and into all the slider door hardware, wiring chase ways, and plastic interior trims.

I got to spend the day tearing apart the dang car.

****, it still stinks like *** in there
 

FarmerWill

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
293
Location
South Texas
In the garage... fed the dog... smoked my pipe... put the Voyager on the battery tender... grumbled about a lack of power.... watched the drizzle..... about it.
 

CoogarXR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
6,942
Location
Ohio
LMAO! I'm so sorry man, that's probably on the top 10 list of things you wouldn't want spilled in the car! I bet it has to smell like something up and died!

Reminds me of the time I was driving my "new" Lincoln Mark VIII and I stopped at McDonalds and ordered a sundae with extra caramel sauce. I was going to set it in the niche by the gearshift and the lid popped off and dumped caramel all down in the gearshift. If you know a Mark VIII, it has like little venetian-blind-like plastic louvers around the gearshift. I was oozing caramel out of those little slats every time I moved the lever for months.
 

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Reminds me of the time I was driving my "new" Lincoln Mark VIII and I stopped at McDonalds and ordered a sundae with extra caramel sauce. I was going to set it in the niche by the gearshift and the lid popped off and dumped caramel all down in the gearshift. If you know a Mark VIII, it has like little venetian-blind-like plastic louvers around the gearshift. I was oozing caramel out of those little slats every time I moved the lever for months.
Some kind of universal balance.

For every time a dude slips a cup of coffee and catches it without spilling a drop... some other dude has to spill fish curry or caramel in the most impossible spot.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

engineer2

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
11,893
Location
Chicago burbs
Worst I heard was from a friend who adopted a puppy. The puppy had never been away from its litter, let alone ride in a car before. It freaked out, got under the passenger seat and proceed to empty its intestinal contents. Then it rolled around in it. She has to extract a ****-covered puppy from under the seat and explain to her husband that the car needs a little cleaning and deodorizing. I think they had to have the car professionally cleaned.
 

C_F

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
9,675
Location
Utah...SNOW BLOWS!
Wife went out to dinner with friends, and thought that the seafood curry was sooooooo F'n good that she'd bring home her leftovers.

She failed to 'secure her load' and the curry sauce spilt. It no only got on the carpet (that's the easy part) but it got underneath the carpet, under and into the seat tracks, and into all the slider door hardware, wiring chase ways, and plastic interior trims.

I got to spend the day tearing apart the dang car.

****, it still stinks like *** in there
Oh lookie, rust free floor pans! :bounce:
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
Started sanding down some shelves to re-stain and poly...

Checked my can of poly and it solidified into very very thick goo... Not going risk it and try and thin down with mineral spirits, I'm just going to get a new can... Don't know how it happened, I always clean and seal the lids well...
 

isb cornbinder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
7,072
Location
Pacific South West, BC, Canada
I passed through my shop on my way out and on the return. I did not do anything noteworthy in the shop.
My wife and I went out for breakfast at The White Spot then a second stop at Marks Work Warehouse. I wanted to buy some new shoes with better traction on ice and snow. I sat there like a lump for the first thirty minutes while my wife tried to fine a "team member" to give us a hand. She finally returned with the second most stupid person in Western Canada, I being the most stupid person, for waiting so long. The "team member" obviously had no training in fitting shoes and certainly did not know the department.
After wasting 30 minutes, I will never get back, I got up and left Mark's for the paring lot and my truck. 15 minutes later we were seated at RED WING SHOES. The Redwing service was the very best and I left with three pairs of Red Wing shoes for just under $500.00
I have been retired for nearly 14 years, Red Wing still had my shoe files on their computer from the decades of my employer buying my Red Wing work boots. . The Red Wing manager had my details in seconds and the best fitting shoes I have ever worn were on my feet. I have two other similar pairs in my closet. The shoes were on sale for $80/ pair off retail.
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
Yep, every Red Wings store I've been to has been top notch service. They can just look at the boots on my feet and know the exact model and usually get pretty close on the size. Guy even offered to clean & oil my old pair of boots for me and oil the new ones.


... 15 minutes later we were seated at RED WING SHOES. The Redwing service was the very best and I left with three pairs of Red Wing shoes for just under $500.00
I have been retired for nearly 14 years, Red Wing still had my shoe files on their computer from the decades of my employer buying my Red Wing work boots. . The Red Wing manager had my details in seconds and the best fitting shoes I have ever worn were on my feet. I have two other similar pairs in my closet. The shoes were on sale for $80/ pair off retail.
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Nothing for several days other than to go look for things for gift warping. Saturday we visited the in-laws, Sunday the Outlaws. :evil:

Tonight my right shoulder is twinging me in a new way, that made shifting the rig painful if done "Normally" on the way home... If I rotated my arm some it was fine... :dunno: So nothing but more gift wrap stuff searching again...
 

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Re: What did you do "IN" your garage today?

A section of quarter-century old exhaust pipe is blocking installation of my transfer case. To my mind temporarily removing that section (even if it means replacing some bolts) is preferable to un-mounting the transmission again and trying to re-install the way we took it out, which was with the t-case attached.

Anyway, tonight all I managed was to violently dismember the bolts on one end of the pipe section.

It was strange, the bolt head measures 14mm (or nearly), but even a 6-point 14mm was fixing to round it off.

Reciprocating saw to the rescue, one of two flanges is separated, and I'm in the market for some M10 stainless bolts and nuts.

Here's the blocked space...
870ee3221a6b0f1e21981b5a4b18f7d0.jpg


Old bolts...
042d3a13992a780a0fade200d3ac3c81.jpg


Bolts out and temp bolt-lette to keep this end off the ground while I'm working on the other end...
440c8c18adf0b9b4ad3dc4b180129818.jpg


Wierd sub-14mm bolt head...
95eb9a8e0c8c71eb875881bba499de12.jpg


Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Swingpress

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 16, 2017
Messages
537
Tonight I decided I would try setting up an area to film time-lapse projects, short YouTube videos, etc.

I learned a valuable lesson though. Lighting is a B!+(h

I have a canon T4i, T5i, various canon lenses, GoPro Hero4 silver, iPhone7, a few microphones, and a few different ways to edit videos.

The one thing I did NOT anticipate is the consequences of using LED strip lighting and bulbs that are PWM. Every photo and/or video test comes out with dark lines. I can eliminate the lines in my camera settings for everything, except, the iPhone! No matter what, the lines persist. I really was trying to avoid spending a ton on flicker-free LED lighting, but I'm about to rip what little hair I have left out trying to find an alternative.

It's hard to believe that these 2 photos have the EXACT same amount of light in the frame.

f956876fc01313690cdd5371b28bd6e4.jpg


12e1be5b2a0334358f7f3ac0f121a6a0.jpg


That damn dark line is always there.. guess there is no replacement for good non-pwm lighting.
 

MrSurly

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2014
Messages
1,671
Location
East Texas
Strongly advise against SS bolts and SS nuts. Guaranteed to gall. Brass nuts on SS bolts and it will remain serviceable


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Strongly advise against SS bolts and SS nuts. Guaranteed to gall. Brass nuts on SS bolts and it will remain serviceable


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call. I also looked at silicon bronze based on this recommendation. Any ideas on local sources? Like big box hardware or auto parts?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 

ChaseDE

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
2,178
Location
Delaware
I looked around in my garage, saw it was too messed up to clean and it was too cold. So I grabbed a beer and went inside.

sad.
 

MrSurly

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2014
Messages
1,671
Location
East Texas
Good call. I also looked at silicon bronze based on this recommendation. Any ideas on local sources? Like big box hardware or auto parts?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Check auto parts stores and if you can find one that still has Dorman hardware, they'll have them. Also look at the "HELP!" brand bubble packs on the wall, you should be able to find brass nuts or nut and stud kits. Keep in mind that if you're doing a bolt & nut, 3/8 works just same as 10mm.
 

Joshua_Russo

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
104
Location
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Check auto parts stores and if you can find one that still has Dorman hardware, they'll have them. Also look at the "HELP!" brand bubble packs on the wall, you should be able to find brass nuts or nut and stud kits. Keep in mind that if you're doing a bolt & nut, 3/8 works just same as 10mm.
OK cool, thanks. Yupper, I had 3/8 in mind as an alternative. All my road-going machines are metric, so I try to stick with metric hardware when I can, but I'm more interested in finishing this dang odyssey than finding the perfect exhaust bolts, lol.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom