To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

jonshonda

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
4,760
Location
Wisconsin
Threw together a wall tire rack. Will probably end up tieing it into the ceiling joists for extra support. Having the 2 stock wheels and unmounted radials is probably going to be the heaviest it's going to see at one time

Tires not sitting level in that rack would absolutely drive me up the wall. Is the rack not big enough for all of them?

Also, what do the tires go on?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

fnbadaz06

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
26
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Preparing my engine for shipping to my builder :)

Ct2ZtAejuCiPXDRTF8IYbHNuMdWP4ucOAQM04kb_FDUAKXGc7ieSpDNOk08gmqDgr8f5_10r0RgVA29SlO7CNlSN5ZPku59tmVnBMVGxr_ndrz1olfigQWeblSryXgUpA-oxM8GqKyNci0DBbwDJLAqqLmgND2f5RlRGS5AznMmiT2TKORdyLfHfkh7fGoykrTxOcW-QBK0WQ5AlfA9fXciq3vTbSZkjUKoAncwfD1aZus9lVfiivezqMvfbvBs2AP49GnxD0IYaA8aR7FpVCtv4X0y_B-ZDBL4ZK-PkoQS5-zSwzFTRMvajoDfPz8wvX1IwhFQ5xkTpokslMyFWUxkrCOo_tnCEwaAtDr3h_KzJXRJzn-aY5WMZqubFpJISkrO2RdnahUsWgqoOZXzZwMJrN8T7f91EOaDbgOaTHIJdAeNegJMMUN6as6Gje3aVL_QqFvfmTUKOCZID_HwAA0Om176zYCI4RFK7fUh-dptPyLDYYjvlPXmy6koWOfhHZKkN0VMC5UpD0YcyP6f0WqBv2gTMdptGzg1_dI-rCsny4buSPKoqdiiDzuCS1iH476QexzhFDcywiES5shutjo4Rgr3q41Y4iYW1C_k=w1473-h1964-no
 

PhantomEB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
7,109
Location
Medicine Hat, AB, Canuckistan
Got an Interco Super Swamper banner coming for the garage. Promo item that I twisted their arm to send me one provided I pay the shipping. The Crawl Magazine one should be here next week.

Picking up some hangers so I can get my mountain bike off the floor.

Headed out camping/quadding for the next two days. My better half’s first time with me for my brothers bday. I am sure she won’t be going out much after this one( gut feeling) but is supportive of my camping and keeps telling me to get the little toyhauler I want....
 

jimtim

Member
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
17
Location
Louisiana
Tires not sitting level in that rack would absolutely drive me up the wall. Is the rack not big enough for all of them?

Also, what do the tires go on?

They fit, theyre actually meant for the otherside and the stock size tires go in the left. Tires are for my 2014 Chevy SS
38029586_10216603877600255_3422826619784396800_o.jpg
 

Colin Len

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
1,234
Location
Long Beach CA
Tried out Solution Finish on the trim on my M3, then coated with Gyeon Trim.

IMG_6037 by mpower5266, on Flickr
Car looks fantastic! I've used the Solution Finish before and liked the result (girlfriend's Ford Ranger pickup which I detailed and helped her sell - I'm sure at a higher selling price due to the detail and specifically all the black trim work). But, after using it on other cars it seems to fade quickly. Does the Gyeon prevent the Solution from fading as quick? That stuff looks really expensive so hopefully it doesn't require much for an application and lasts a long time.
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Converted a 12V battery drill (dead batteries) to a 12V corded drill:

attachment.php



Wasn't too bad; I opened the battery case, (four "tamper-proof" screws) and ditched the batteries, modified the connector to take fast-on tabs, drilled a hole in the base and ran the cord. The connector got epoxied in place back in the business end of the battery case. Tested off my rig's battery and works great! :thumbup:
 

Attachments

  • 12V drill.jpg
    12V drill.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 575

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
First thing this morning I made some ramps with some doubled-up 2x12's and 2x4's for the stops. Just kind of guesstimated and used some scraps I had. Came out perfect length!

Made changing the oil & greasing the front end of my truck so much easier. I could always squeeze under without them, but having the few extra inches seems like I have twice as much room to work... lol.

I was showing my neighbor too how to do an oil change, he told me the price he paid for his little car at the dealership and my jaw dropped. He wants to start doing it himself so I showed him all the steps and tips and such, and told him when he wants to change one of his vehicles to let me know and I'll come over and help.

After the oil, filter, lube job I pulled the truck out into the driveway to rotate the tires. I also took the time to wash the inside of the rims as they were getting pretty grimy, and also took the time to inspect the rotors and pads and such...
 

Attachments

  • 20180803_115019.jpg
    20180803_115019.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 66

PassnThru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
6,517
Location
Bowling Green KY
First thing this morning I made some ramps with some doubled-up 2x12's and 2x4's for the stops. Just kind of guesstimated and used some scraps I had. Came out perfect length!

I need to do that for that minivan - I have changed the oil a lot without it but it's tight and I'm tired of it. Did you add anything on the bottom to keep it from skidding?
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Repaired some "battle damage" to the prop tank that was on my trailer when it rolled:

I made it go from this:

attachment.php



To Thiis:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • battle damage fixed.jpg
    battle damage fixed.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,317

mrobins297aaa

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
3,283
Location
south east michigan
the compressor came in for the beverage cooler and I got it installed.
it's cooling ok but I'm thinking it's running a little to much head pressure and maybe I should have changed the cap tube also. which I may end up doing
I'm starting to remember some stuff from the last refrigerator compressor I did about 30 years..........most important, "don't do any more of them"...lol

anyone have any comments or suggestions feel free to comment this is hardly my field of expertize.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180725_163955304.jpg
    IMG_20180725_163955304.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20180731_200053899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180731_200053899_HDR.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20180731_181237445.jpg
    IMG_20180731_181237445.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180731_225007904_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180731_225007904_HDR.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20180731_225054250_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180731_225054250_HDR.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 80

mrobins297aaa

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
3,283
Location
south east michigan
Converted a 12V battery drill (dead batteries) to a 12V corded drill:

attachment.php



Wasn't too bad; I opened the battery case, (four "tamper-proof" screws) and ditched the batteries, modified the connector to take fast-on tabs, drilled a hole in the base and ran the cord. The connector got epoxied in place back in the business end of the battery case. Tested off my rig's battery and works great! :thumbup:

what a great idea, I have a few old battery drills that the batteries/chargers don't work any more and I don't want to spend any money on.........I'll have to try that. thanks for posting
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
I need to do that for that minivan - I have changed the oil a lot without it but it's tight and I'm tired of it. Did you add anything on the bottom to keep it from skidding?

Nope, nothing on the bottom. No issues with it skidding. Cut at 45-degree angles. I just placed them up against the wheels and my neighbor watched me as I went up. My garage floor is pretty slick too.
 

rpcraft

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
1,075
Location
Waco
Greased the slide and put the drawers back in the old snapon top box I got from my grandfather. Just need to figure out how to clean up the handles, if you have ideas please advise here CLICK.


attachment.php

Not sure what you started with but if they are brass, chrome, pewter, or something polishable try Never-dull.
 

rpcraft

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
1,075
Location
Waco
Repaired some "battle damage" to the prop tank that was on my trailer when it rolled:

I made it go from this:

attachment.php



To Thiis:

attachment.php

Man that came dangerously close to become a launched projectile. I wonder how having the chain on it would have worked out, lol.
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Man that came dangerously close to become a launched projectile. I wonder how having the chain on it would have worked out, lol.

No chain, only two 1/4" bolts on the bottom rim holding it in place.. (barely one after the rollover...) the bend came from the valve guard smacking the pavement. Those chains you see are the safety chains from the trailer which were coupled to my rig. (chains held perfectly) I was more concerned with if propane had gone everywhere and the risk of a spark... Tank was full too.
 

rpcraft

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
1,075
Location
Waco
I work in an industry where frequently we have to move the UHP 300 CF tanks for customers (along with the 200+ liter liquid dewars). One of my co-workers one time knocked over one of the 300 tanks. Thankfully it had the cap on, but it still didn't prevent either of us from just closing our eyes and thinking we were goners. I definitely had to go change my work pants afterwords.
 

Fix Until Broke

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2016
Messages
801
Location
SE Wisconsin
the compressor came in for the beverage cooler and I got it installed.
it's cooling ok but I'm thinking it's running a little to much head pressure and maybe I should have changed the cap tube also. which I may end up doing
I'm starting to remember some stuff from the last refrigerator compressor I did about 30 years..........most important, "don't do any more of them"...lol

anyone have any comments or suggestions feel free to comment this is hardly my field of expertize.

The grid of black wires attached to the tubes on the back is the condenser. If you think the head pressure is too high, mist these down with water or a cold soaked wet towel and see if your head pressure comes down appreciably. If so, carefully inspect the tubes/wires. I've seen the wires come loose from the tubes and that reduces the heat transfer from the tubes significantly (which could have been the reason the original compressor went bad in the first place).

The 135F and the high side gauge agree (yea thermodynamics!) - it does not seem absurdly high, but I don't know what it was designed for either.

Either way, anything you can do to help cool the condenser, the lower the head pressures, the more cooling capacity it will have, the longer the compressor will last, etc.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

mrobins297aaa

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
3,283
Location
south east michigan
The grid of black wires attached to the tubes on the back is the condenser. If you think the head pressure is too high, mist these down with water or a cold soaked wet towel and see if your head pressure comes down appreciably. If so, carefully inspect the tubes/wires. I've seen the wires come loose from the tubes and that reduces the heat transfer from the tubes significantly (which could have been the reason the original compressor went bad in the first place).

The 135F and the high side gauge agree (yea thermodynamics!) - it does not seem absurdly high, but I don't know what it was designed for either.

Either way, anything you can do to help cool the condenser, the lower the head pressures, the more cooling capacity it will have, the longer the compressor will last, etc.

thanks for the info, I'll take a good look at that.
 

xyster101

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2013
Messages
640
Location
Upstate NY
Got this block and tackle for free. Fabricated a mount for it and used it to tip the brush hog. Had to sharpen the blades and make a new skid for it.

38298015_10156582787900909_5290280517504073728_n.jpg

38294511_10156582787955909_2161766441483763712_n.jpg

38280554_10156582788020909_1582738608702357504_n.jpg
 

Bob Heine

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
10,722
Location
Boca Raton, Florida
I need to do that for that minivan - I have changed the oil a lot without it but it's tight and I'm tired of it. Did you add anything on the bottom to keep it from skidding?

Nope, nothing on the bottom. No issues with it skidding. Cut at 45-degree angles. I just placed them up against the wheels and my neighbor watched me as I went up. My garage floor is pretty slick too.
I didn't stagger the 2x12s so my ramp slid. Added an extension with some 3/8" plywood scraps and cut a handle hole. Works fine now.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Ramp.jpg
    Ramp.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 703

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
I didn't stagger the 2x12s so my ramp slid. Added an extension with some 3/8" plywood scraps and cut a handle hole. Works fine now.

That looks pretty nifty. If mine ever do slide I might just copy your idea to add a little plywood to the front like that.


So this morning I was walking my dog as usual, and at the intersection several houses down I saw what looked like a socket from a distance... As we get closer I realize it's the key for my wheel-lock lugs on my truck! I was so tired yesterday that when I took it out for a test drive around the block I forgot to take the key off the wheel when I was done! Talk about lucky finding it, undamaged too!
 

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
My Snapper Hi-Vac 28" sit-down rear-engine mower has been struggling up hills recently. I looked at the manual, and then some youtube stuff. A trip to the dealer was needed, I bought a friction drive disc.

Today I put it on, working in the sun, man, it was hot. I had to take a couple breaks because I just wore-out. The operation was a success, the patient lived. My 5 speeds are back!. The last cut (Friday) before I replaced the friction drive disc, the mower would barely ascend a modest Florida hill, in the lowest gear, fuhgeddaboutit for the higher four gears. No issues now.

One of the best things, I swapped a Gearwrench metric ratcheting combination wrench set to another GJ member for a SAE set, and the wrenches helped me today in the work. Thank-you to JohninCM.
 

Attachments

  • Snapper repair drive disc.01.jpg
    Snapper repair drive disc.01.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Snapper repair drive disc.02.jpg
    Snapper repair drive disc.02.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 83

d.mcfarland

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
6,623
Location
Western PA
Swapping door speakers. New ones have lost all bass even though the RMS is in line with the stock head unit, same goes for ohms.

I don't know anything about car audio so I let Crutchfield pick the speakers and maybe this is how they all sound?
 

rpcraft

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
1,075
Location
Waco
My Snapper Hi-Vac 28" sit-down rear-engine mower has been struggling up hills recently. I looked at the manual, and then some youtube stuff. A trip to the dealer was needed, I bought a friction drive disc.

Today I put it on, working in the sun, man, it was hot. I had to take a couple breaks because I just wore-out. The operation was a success, the patient lived. My 5 speeds are back!. The last cut (Friday) before I replaced the friction drive disc, the mower would barely ascend a modest Florida hill, in the lowest gear, fuhgeddaboutit for the higher four gears. No issues now.

One of the best things, I swapped a Gearwrench metric ratcheting combination wrench set to another GJ member for a SAE set, and the wrenches helped me today in the work. Thank-you to JohninCM.

I broke down last summer and picked up for cheap one of those overhead canopies like they sell at HF. Mine was from walmart but same difference. It makes working on something outside so much better. I might end up moving it a few times but between that and finding myself a nice piece of panel wood it sure makes it easier to slide under something and not be in the blazing heat. The older I get it seems the hotter it's getting every summer and I use to think it was age but I can never remember anyone discussing 105 degree days when I was a kid, that is for sure. Be sure to hydrate and avoid sweating in the direct sunlight if you can... IT'll cook you up in a hurry.
 

rpcraft

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
1,075
Location
Waco
Swapping door speakers. New ones have lost all bass even though the RMS is in line with the stock head unit, same goes for ohms.

I don't know anything about car audio so I let Crutchfield pick the speakers and maybe this is how they all sound?


If you lost bass in your current speakers then what you need to do is turn the volume knob down some and they won't blow out...
 

PassnThru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
6,517
Location
Bowling Green KY
A coworker brought his 2013 Fusion over this morning. He was unable to open the driver's door from the inside. I told him to bring it over and I'd take a look. The lever itself was broken but I found a Dorman at Autozone for $48. I even drove him down there to get it and then put it in.
He is an excellent programmer but has no mechanical sense at all. I'm surrounded by very educated, technical people but a very, very small percentage of them could even change their own oil.
 

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
When your computer has issues, you get to have it fixed now!

Who-knows, you may find that the guy wants to learn something mechanical instead of digital.


A coworker brought his 2013 Fusion over this morning. He was unable to open the driver's door from the inside. I told him to bring it over and I'd take a look. The lever itself was broken but I found a Dorman at Autozone for $48. I even drove him down there to get it and then put it in.
He is an excellent programmer but has no mechanical sense at all. I'm surrounded by very educated, technical people but a very, very small percentage of them could even change their own oil.
 

Tp2177

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2017
Messages
101
Change my mother in laws brakes on her newer rav4. Found out that Toyota used 2 different sized front rotors and I happened to get the same size as my camrys, where hers were the smaller ones. 🤦****♂️. Also changed the oil in my old Nissan hardbody, and got a new battery for it. The cleaned and put some of my new tools up. None of them are anything special but the Stanley 1/2 sockets did just fine. Nicest thing I’ve gotten so far is gearwrench stubby ratchet wrenches that were on sale from advanced.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
Getting a collapsible canopy is a good idea. I do hydrate frequently, I just drink cold water, sometimes tea.

I like using the Snapper sit-down mower. I don't have a large yard, about 1/3 net acre. I probably should have removed the blade and sharpened it while I was under there. I need to dig-out of storage my rear-bagger and adapt it to the Snapper, it was on a John Deere rear-engine mower I sold awhile ago.

One time on fire-rescue we were doing forcible entry on vehicles, lots of fun, because you use the jaws of life to dismember cars. It was a summer training session. One guy got pulled-out, he had symptoms of heat exhaustion; they started two 1,000 ml bags of lactated Ringer's on him and almost transported him to the hospital. They would-have, if he didn't respond to the IV's.

I broke down last summer and picked up for cheap one of those overhead canopies like they sell at HF. Mine was from walmart but same difference. It makes working on something outside so much better. I might end up moving it a few times but between that and finding myself a nice piece of panel wood it sure makes it easier to slide under something and not be in the blazing heat. The older I get it seems the hotter it's getting every summer and I use to think it was age but I can never remember anyone discussing 105 degree days when I was a kid, that is for sure. Be sure to hydrate and avoid sweating in the direct sunlight if you can... IT'll cook you up in a hurry.
 
Last edited:

PassnThru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
6,517
Location
Bowling Green KY
When your computer has issues, you get to have it fixed now!

Who-knows, you may find that the guy wants to learn something mechanical instead of digital.

I have a BS in Computer Science. My day job is systems administration and programming.

I don't think he will make the leap to mechanical work. On the plus side, they constantly tell us to cross train. I think that counts.

They won't :lol_hitti
 

jwh

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
774
Location
Rochester NY
I work in an industry where frequently we have to move the UHP 300 CF tanks for customers (along with the 200+ liter liquid dewars). One of my co-workers one time knocked over one of the 300 tanks. Thankfully it had the cap on, but it still didn't prevent either of us from just closing our eyes and thinking we were goners. I definitely had to go change my work pants afterwords.

You guys were lucky. Google: Buffalo NY Propane Explosion 1983. (IIRC) Large propane container in 4 story warehouse. Container being moved on forklift. Container fell off, valve broke. Started leaking. Leak met ignition source.

BOOM!

Building and most of neighborhood leveled. 5 firefighters and a couple civilians killed.
John
 

billybudge

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
321
Location
UNITED KINGDOM
Well with today being Sunday and a day off for me, just been chilling out, enjoying the extra hot weather here in the UK,
So with not much planned its been a hobby day, in and out of my workshop at home, doing little jobs here and there, finally put up a rack for displaying my vintage fuel can collection, made a few shelf's and painted them, and a tidy up. ready for projects coming in this week,
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
I forgot the member's name, but he's the guy with the yellow convertible mustang that he's always detailing. Not too long ago I saw some pics and he mentioned cleaning / conditioning the leather interior...

I haven't done my truck in a year (at least), and his post has been in the back of my head so I finally spent some time last night and went over my truck's interior... I think I ended up going over everything at least 3 times, the leather was just soaking it up it was so dry...
 

PhantomEB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
7,109
Location
Medicine Hat, AB, Canuckistan
Headed over to the folks to wrangle some fixits so i can talk them into letting me store a potential F250 powerstoke in their garage while I make arrangements for registration and insurance. Can’t wait to have a truck again!
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom