To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Did some quick sanding and put a coat of paint on the box for some electrical stuff. I'll be sitting beside the one of the right and replacing the cardboard box that I have been using for several years.

I now have, I think 8 of these in the workbench cabinet.
 

Attachments

  • 09232018 010.jpg
    09232018 010.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 177
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

dkroth

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
3,067
Location
Rochester, New York
Please use jack stands.

I watched a guy loose a finger when a jack failed while he was changing the tire on a 12' trailer.


What did he do with the severed finger?

I would never want to lose a finger. But if I did you can believe I'd mount it and hang it on the wall in the living room for everyone to see.





.
 

Roundhouse

Banned
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
507
What did he do with the severed finger?



I would never want to lose a finger. But if I did you can believe I'd mount it and hang it on the wall in the living room for everyone to see.











.



Friend of mine kept his severed finger in a small jar of some type of preservation liquid on his fireplace mantle



And I’m jealous of every one of y’all

I got no garage and no basement

But i have done a diesel transplant and a LS swap in my driveway

And might be financially able to build a garage next year

All I gotta do is figure out how to design one that will attach to and blend in with a round house ....
 

Mpower5266

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
2,773
Location
Newnan, GA
Please use jack stands.



I watched a guy loose a finger when a jack failed while he was changing the tire on a 12' trailer.



I did one better than jack stands, cleaned the bottom of the m3 today.

48a84bb484c427192b2e34af529d7c53.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Garage Journal
 

Attachments

  • 48a84bb484c427192b2e34af529d7c53.jpg
    48a84bb484c427192b2e34af529d7c53.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 0

Motorman55

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2016
Messages
2,710
Location
South Jersey
Finally finished the installation of the front fuel lines. Went to three different auto parts stores and none of them had a TBI type fuel line 'union' to connect the new front return line to the old rear return line. Finally I just cut off both the fittings and joined them with a compression fitting...done!

After that I removed all four of my trucks rusty old rims and worn tires then installed a new replacement set of stock rims and Goodyear Wrangler tires.

Still not done for the day I decided to demount the old tires from their rims with my HF tire changer. Got nothing but good things to say about the HF tire changer. Works like a charm.

Still have to install the new exhaust system and then start replacing the rusted brake lines.
 

cajunfirehawk

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 29, 2011
Messages
2,566
Location
Ms Gulf Coast
I don't post in this thread because frankly don't have the time, but Ill share this cause its kinda funny...went to tractor supply to buy a bag of bird feed for my wife's bird feeders and has I always do, browse for the clearance deals, well I found one...:headscrat
44116051834_a090c7b2ff_c.jpg
44787113902_1c54e07fce_c.jpg
44825930112_5638ea7c20_c.jpg
Cost me $400 for a bag of bird feed and my new compressor...:beer:
 

LS6 Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
26,162
Location
Northern NJ
When does the "buy a bag of bird seed and get a free compressor" deal end? I'm on vacation til Wednesday, but I'll need bird seed when I get home...

Tommy
 

spent21

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
168
Location
Franklin, Tn
What did he do with the severed finger?

I would never want to lose a finger. But if I did you can believe I'd mount it and hang it on the wall in the living room for everyone to see.

.

He took it with him to the ER. I guess he left it there cause they sure as **** didn't sew it back on.:shocking:
 

logan_gibson

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Messages
65
Spent the weekend polishing up my Discovery and starting to rip out the interior to install a 2nd battery, radio, and other misc.
IMG_20180924_070730 (1).jpg

Time to clean up the mess I made this weekend so I can make a bigger mess working on the interior of it.
 

joeammond

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
5
Location
St. Charles, MO
Drywall repair. I patched holes from the roof leak we had a couple of years ago, where we had to open the ceiling and wall to let the water drain.

I hate drywall, I hate installing it, I hate taping & mudding it. It looks like ****, but it’s a garage.

View attachment 812788

And I discovered that the only way I can install a MaxJax is smack dab in the center of my garage. It’s 19’ 9” wide, 22’ deep, with a single door and an opener in the center. It looks like I can either get QuickJacks or a mid-rise scissor lift, but not a 2- or 4- post.

View attachment 812790
 

rburke65

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
12,349
Location
Canfield, Ohio
I finished the installation of the mirrors on the Kubota. Went pretty well and the Rustolium orange paint matched well. I was surprised!
 

madison069

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
4,515
Location
Monroeville, PA
Looked into the snowblower to find out why the auger didn't turn at the end of last snow season, turns out the belt had jumped off track. Since the belt looked a little worn I'll get another one but I did put the old one back on to confirmed that it was the only issues and it worked like it was suppose to when the auger was engaged.

Now to find some sled/rail to attach to the bottom of the auger chute to keep the auger off the gravel!
 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Did some cleaning and pulled the log splitter and little dump trailer out. They're back in the garage shed for a few weeks.

Then I sat done at the worktable and fired up the laptop, started surfing GJ and two hours later. . . . .
 

brownsmustang

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2015
Messages
403
Location
SWMO
Hung more cabinets (they were free and have flourescnt lights under them). . This reno is taking longer than I thought lol. 47ee42d1e8ef57cf248b674078ba04b3.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • 47ee42d1e8ef57cf248b674078ba04b3.jpg
    47ee42d1e8ef57cf248b674078ba04b3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
I stopped at Habitat for Humanity and bought a tap holder. Curiously, I see no manufacturer's marks at all. It's very well made. I bought a tap and chased the threads on a carburetor emulsion tube to avoid having to buy a new tube. Once I buy 4 new float needles, I can finish the rebuild and have a new set of rebuilt carbs for my V-4 bike.
 

Attachments

  • Vmax carbs apart.01.jpg
    Vmax carbs apart.01.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 95
  • VMax emulsion tube re-thread.jpg
    VMax emulsion tube re-thread.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 99

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Found a use for the Snap-on cabinet I picked up a few days ago. I decided to hang it on the wall through some previously drilled holes in the back. I've been wanting to make a hanger from my 4 1/2" grinders but I think this will do just fine. I used the top shelf for my welding helmet.


I think this Winter, once the Mustang is put away in storage, I'll paint this box. It needs some work to fill in the big holes on the side, some sanding and a coat of black to match the tool box.
 

Attachments

  • KIMG0003.jpg
    KIMG0003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Copy KIMG0015.jpg
    Copy KIMG0015.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Copy KIMG0014.jpg
    Copy KIMG0014.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 119
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

polexican23

Banned
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
2,168
Location
burbs-Illinois
I went through 5 tools and 8 different blades to try and cut out my attic access in the corrugated metal ceiling.
No luck. Ordered a shear attachment for my drill from amazon, maybe that will work more better.
Sawzall blade just bounces around because the metal is thin and loose if that makes any sense.
 

GrayFlattop

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
1,076
Location
Chicago
I went through 5 tools and 8 different blades to try and cut out my attic access in the corrugated metal ceiling.
No luck. Ordered a shear attachment for my drill from amazon, maybe that will work more better.
Sawzall blade just bounces around because the metal is thin and loose if that makes any sense.
Try a metal cutting blade in a circular saw. While there are purpose-built saws for this, if you don't cut metal much, it might be too costly for one shot.

This lil' Bosch cordless metal cutting saw is one of my favorite cordless tools:
Bosch_CSN180.jpg
 

polexican23

Banned
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
2,168
Location
burbs-Illinois
Try a metal cutting blade in a circular saw. While there are purpose-built saws for this, if you don't cut metal much, it might be too costly for one shot.

This lil' Bosch cordless metal cutting saw is one of my favorite cordless tools:
Bosch_CSN180.jpg


It was over head so it make it hard to hold my full size saw with the metal blade i bought. Maybe i need to splurge on that little fremel circular saw thingy

xDremel_US40_UltraSaw_,28EN,29,284,29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6QjiV3l2yV.jpg
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
1,080
Location
AZ
I went through 5 tools and 8 different blades to try and cut out my attic access in the corrugated metal ceiling.
No luck. Ordered a shear attachment for my drill from amazon, maybe that will work more better.
Sawzall blade just bounces around because the metal is thin and loose if that makes any sense.

4 1/2" angle grinder with a metal blade
 

GrayFlattop

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
1,076
Location
Chicago
4 1/2" angle grinder with a metal blade

That will work as well and is probably the best solution for one-time use.

That Bosch is small enough to use overhead. It weighs under 5# and has a 2" max depth of cut. As long as your corrugations aren't more than that, it will zip through thin steel. I use it for unstrut and angle iron all the time. That said, it's not really designed to cut 1/2 plate. but for lighter stuff it's a great machine. IIRC, Makita makes one.

Whichever one you use, you will want to wear safety glasses (face shield would be better), a welder's beanie and a long sleeve shirt with the collar up and top button buttoned. The chips will rain down on you if your tool has no way to contain or direct them.
 

madison069

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
4,515
Location
Monroeville, PA
In my experience, angle grinder with 4 1/2" Metal blade and a circular saw with a normal blade turned backward has always cut corrugated metal pretty easily.
 

welderman2

Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
13
Location
Lowell Michigan
Welded up brackets to use on my loader. Will be able to roll it around this winter when not in use. 2a373177abb41e7c9d52ae4b6e532550.jpg6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Garage Journal
 

Attachments

  • 2a373177abb41e7c9d52ae4b6e532550.jpg
    2a373177abb41e7c9d52ae4b6e532550.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg
    6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 0

Greg0197

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
4
Location
Arlington, TN
Made some spare tire mounts for my utility/Toyota crawler trailer. Got tired of throwing them in the bed of the truck when I went on a weekend wheeling trip.

ae6d963927aa65d2304867d403e6a71b.jpg2e88a81443701271044d657db6777f42.jpg1280f573a468c891a5c93f531cca676b.jpg1b8eb6515cb8e745f5537218617cbf65.jpgbd8bba13c1039a56baaa9a69e6ea5ccb.jpg

Both of these were made with scrap I had laying around. Some 3/16 plate, scrap angle, studs from the trailer hubs when I put electric brakes on, and some 1.5x1.5 .25 wall tubing.

Greg G
 

Attachments

  • bd8bba13c1039a56baaa9a69e6ea5ccb.jpg
    bd8bba13c1039a56baaa9a69e6ea5ccb.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1b8eb6515cb8e745f5537218617cbf65.jpg
    1b8eb6515cb8e745f5537218617cbf65.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1280f573a468c891a5c93f531cca676b.jpg
    1280f573a468c891a5c93f531cca676b.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2e88a81443701271044d657db6777f42.jpg
    2e88a81443701271044d657db6777f42.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ae6d963927aa65d2304867d403e6a71b.jpg
    ae6d963927aa65d2304867d403e6a71b.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 0

rayra

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
4,724
Location
Escaped from Los Angeles
waged war on a GM driveshaft's plastic-secured U-Joints with the fire wrench.

Discovered the lovely thermoplastic GM used to lock the u-joint caps into the yokes of my '85 C-10. Had to break out the fire wrench for that ****. They were the original u-joints, 33yrs, 365k mi and they were worn the f out nearly 18-20yrs ago when I bought the replacement u-joints from Trak Auto. I put 100k mi on it AFTER I bought the u-joints. That u-joint box(es) was shiny-new when I bought it. The thick bag inside was still doing its job, the new joints were like new still, despite getting shoved around the garage for so long.

pickup ujoints 01.jpg
pickup ujoints 02.jpg
pickup ujoints 03.jpg
pickup ujoints 04.jpg
pickup ujoints 05.jpg
pickup ujoints 06.jpg
pickup ujoints 07 gmb.jpg
 

Ole_Red

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
208
Location
The 2.0.6.
I got back to selling more stuff and cleaning out the garage. Hope to have most gone this weekend. Running a bunch of **** to the dump this weekend as well. Then I can finally park my car in there and have a little bit of funds to start wrenching on the Stude again. 20180927_062539.jpeg20180927_062815.jpg20180927_063034~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The Garage Journal mobile app
 

niget2002

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
11,595
Location
Josephine, TX
Spent just a little time in the garage fixing some annoyances on the air compressor.

Replaced the drain plug, and replaced the broken gauge on the regulator. Now I know what pressure I have it regulated down to again.

Tried to spray paint the other day. Since I rarely adjust the regulated pressure, I had no idea the gauge wasn't working. I had to use trial and error to get the paint to spray right.
 

BuffettFan

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Messages
11,086
Location
Central Illinois
Went out there last night to clean up a bit. First chance I've had when it wasn't Africa-hot in a while. Apparently the mosquitos had missed me. I got about 6 bites in 15 minutes. All on my right arm. I said the heck with it and went back inside.
 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Welded up brackets to use on my loader. Will be able to roll it around this winter when not in use. 6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Garage Journal

Awesome idea but one question ? Are those sitting where they need to be for center of gravity ? If not, it looks like a heck of a way to smash your foot. :shocking:
 

Attachments

  • 6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg
    6b9ebfe40d358315141e36ac67907dfb.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 0

ChaseDE

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
2,178
Location
Delaware
Awesome idea but one question ? Are those sitting where they need to be for center of gravity ? If not, it looks like a heck of a way to smash your foot. :shocking:

I thought the same thing, is there a bar behind the green mount that connects the twos skids?
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
I've been so busy, minimal time to post!

Sat/Sunday I finished the heavy lifting on the trailer project. (Need to update my camp ear thread I also added a slat to the tailgate for oil/coolant storage.

Monday/Tuesday I switched to to rig maintenance, oil change, topping off gear oil... I did do some calking of seams on the trailer covers, as well including tonight, and have two last runs to make, and some weather strip to apply to keep dust out.

Yesterday I installed a new zipper on my sleeping bag, tonight I also did Tire inflation maintenance for the tow rig, and trailer, (Tow rig spare was flat...)


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 11 done for the day.jpg
    11 done for the day.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 919
  • 14 Rig oil rack.jpg
    14 Rig oil rack.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 911
  • 6 and setup.jpg
    6 and setup.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 911

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
I noticed the other day after some crappy weather that the radio in the garage wasn't coming in too clear. I wasn't sure if it was the station or my end. I changed the station and been listening to that. This morning, one of the neighbors stopped and asked about my J-pole antenna and when I looked at it, I noticed one of the soldered on leads had come off.

Bingo, now I know why reception went to ****. So I pulled it down, tried to solder a new connection but wasn't having any luck. So I went a different route with some coax and got that soldered on. Once it was cool, I put some clear RTV over it. I'm hoping that will help with corrosion and extra strength for wire attachment.


While working in the basement, I noticed the basement door dragging on the floor so I marked what needed to come off, removed the door and carried it out to the garage. I broke out the block plane and then finished up with some 80 grit on the sander.
 

Roundhouse

Banned
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
507
This Saturday I’m going to use someone else’s garage and replace the springs and shackles on the76 K-10
 

polexican23

Banned
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
2,168
Location
burbs-Illinois
Anyone that cares. Angle grinder and metal wheel ended up being the weapon of choice.

Now to trim it out. Not sure i like the j-channel option.a0bce3c48b8eea7392deb9b977e14b81.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • a0bce3c48b8eea7392deb9b977e14b81.jpg
    a0bce3c48b8eea7392deb9b977e14b81.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom