To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Nut, you might want to add a "spark arrestor" as this helps a LOT to keep the broken wires out of your shirt/belly...

I won't use it much but I did just want to try to keep the wire contained a bit. We'll see what happens when I start using it. Heck, maybe I won't even like it and decide to buy a bigger grinder for this purpose.

:dunno:
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

DBS5Window

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Messages
50
Location
Byrnes Mill, MO
I modified my HF blast cabinet using the info and recommended parts from searching this site. Next up is the parts washer.

Thanks Garage Journal!
 

rmalkow2

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
4,087
Location
Brighton, MI
Added another LED overhead light to give better coverage to a dark area in the garage. Then checked the spark plug condition on the snow blower. Just in case we do get snow this winter.
 

gaetano

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
164
Location
Gloucester,MA
Finished up the hokey guard for the wire wheel on the larger grinding wheel. All it has to is deflect loose flying wires that decide to vacate the wheel while I'm using it.

Started the wall bracket for the new larger 8" grinder. More than likely, it will stay in place but receiver tubing will allow me to swap the grinders around. I'll admit, my welds are nowhere near the quality of some of the guys here.


A buddy came out so I could rip some boards down for him.

Nice job on the guard for the wire wheel. I need to do the same on my grinder.
 

sixleaker

Active member
Joined
Dec 13, 2012
Messages
41
Location
Chico, CA
Customized one of the kids hot wheels. This is getting addicting
bb743f70dbba22480607dd35dea4c9c0.jpg
0f717ab686c628c7c16b7bdbd0dcb3c7.jpg
a5acb6233108c6d8aa316122b068de40.jpg
156d1527256d4dcd1855d35d3726da1f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

LS6 Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
26,162
Location
Northern NJ
Not in the garage, but in the driveway. I did a quick light check on the Scoobie last night when I got home from work and I noticed a license plate light was out. I went to replace it this morning and found the other was now bad. The car came with W5W bulbs and I had two new 2825s, which are almost the same exact application, so it was a no dollar fix.

Tommy
 

stonesfan68

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
2,772
Location
Houston, TX
Thanks to the cost accountant at GM who decided to save a nickel and not put a drain plug in the transmission pan of the Yukon/Tahoe I took a shower using Dexron VI instead of water.
 

dsimatt

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
6,570
Built this, well made the framing and mocked up and assembled in the basement.
 

Attachments

  • 20190105_134227.jpg
    20190105_134227.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 129

chrislehr

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
1,704
Location
Portland, OR
Didnt snap a pic, but cleaned up a chainsaw thats leaking chain lube for reasons unknown and worked on my donut chuck to finish out a bowl
 

PassnThru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
6,517
Location
Bowling Green KY
Thanks to the cost accountant at GM who decided to save a nickel and not put a drain plug in the transmission pan of the Yukon/Tahoe I took a shower using Dexron VI instead of water.

I'm not sure anything has a drain plug anymore. My Explorer doesn't even have a dipstick - which also isn't unusual. Of course, the old idea of leaving the front bolts on still works to allow it to drain out the back of the pan - to a point. If you have to maneuver the pan out around obstacles then you will find the last two quarts no matter how careful you are.

Didnt snap a pic, but cleaned up a chainsaw thats leaking chain lube for reasons unknown and worked on my donut chuck to finish out a bowl

I have a chainsaw that does the same thing. Never figured out why? I just store it where the oil and gas fill are facing up. Seems to help.
 

PhantomEB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
7,109
Location
Medicine Hat, AB, Canuckistan
think you might need a few more switches?

attachment.php

Nope!

6 switches control the 6 separate zones of 2 fixtures (4’ 4 bulb) each.

1 is for the ceiling fans/stereo

1 is for the outdoor lights.

Hell I got 17 110 plugs on 3 circuits as well 2 220 on each its own circuit.

GF says I get a 30x40 at the least (I am gunnin for 32x64 which I would split front to back) next time if we decide to go acreage in addition to a double for parking
 

chrislehr

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
1,704
Location
Portland, OR
I have a chainsaw that does the same thing. Never figured out why? I just store it where the oil and gas fill are facing up. Seems to help.

I posted elsewhere but I think this is expected - everyone said theirs did and its supposed to. Best bet is to drain bar oil after each use. News to me.
 
Last edited:

BMWBOB

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2018
Messages
274
Location
Washington State
Practiced some tunes with my band mates this morning. Worked on a new work bench this afternoon, watched my Seahawks play a very disappointing game with the Boys....
Dang it.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

polexican23

Banned
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
2,168
Location
burbs-Illinois
Got 1 side of my lift to lower. Some of the things it took.



*4ft level and scrub brush (to push air lock and down button
*15x10 wheel with 295/55/r15 tire
*45lb weight plate
*from rotors, padsand calipers for a 2006 honda accord
*3 drawer American Eagle tool box
* craftsman floor jack
* and 285 lbs of polexican.




078eac6f76e29a4a5e3aea2609194322.jpg


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

Garett

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 30, 2013
Messages
519
Location
BC Canada
Got up at 6 this morn. Still working on my C10 panel truck project. Time to modify the GM engine stands, figured I better button up the engine and have it ready to go. I swapped in the crane cam and did a basic how to vid on valve spring install, making vids is becoming my new hobby! Then I spent a half hour looking for my puller to change the crank timing chain sprocket. :dohh:

 

Mtlwright

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
58
Location
Arnprior, Ontario
Worked on the muffler for the Honda. Drilled the baffle and made the outlet, complete with spark arrestor. Almost ready to fire it up.

41296B7A-BC63-4FC3-90E1-9CBABA6B603A.jpg

97CEEEAF-4ED6-4723-8469-928C8DF3E040.jpg

Cheers,

Bill
 

tvtaurus

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2014
Messages
1,547
Location
Indiana
Made some progress in the garage yesterday. Spent the better half of the afternoon adding outlets to the garage with wiremold. When the house was built it only had one wall outlet. I now have 5 outlets.
61b14ebe4bdc1b048fc1cbc8485454c6.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Worked on the grinder project again today. Everything made, waiting on paint to dry. I also decided to replace the small Skill with a new 8" grinder.

Figured I might was well post some pictures up and update my Garage Refurb thread.
 

Attachments

  • 01062019 grinder 009.jpg
    01062019 grinder 009.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 117

red61cj5

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2016
Messages
3,807
Location
West Virginia
Went to put the exhaust back on a 2005 F150 after repairing the passenger side frame (bad rot) Only to realize the frame mounted exhaust hanger (front of muffler) was still sitting on the bench and I had nicely plated over the mounting holes. It was practically welded in place before from the rust, now it will be welded in place for real.
 

OccupantRJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
11,623
Location
Eastern North Carolina
I finished prep and shot paint on the Curtis air compressor pump of the compressor I am building. It goes on this Saylor Beall tank I just painted.
 

Attachments

  • 103F6BDC-88B9-4203-84E3-3D6EB7B8F3EC.jpg
    103F6BDC-88B9-4203-84E3-3D6EB7B8F3EC.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 90
  • E265D939-C447-4B88-85DE-1CA46D29C1E8.jpg
    E265D939-C447-4B88-85DE-1CA46D29C1E8.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 37201B74-071D-47F0-90C6-192137F17D62.jpg
    37201B74-071D-47F0-90C6-192137F17D62.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 100

Kevkx125

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
3,394
Location
DOUGLASSVILLE, PA
Put in a outlet so could put my mustang and kawa 750 on tender jr's.
 

Attachments

  • GEDC0026.jpg
    GEDC0026.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 100
  • GEDC0027.jpg
    GEDC0027.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 100
  • GEDC0028.jpg
    GEDC0028.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 103

Magnum440d100

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Messages
3,581
Location
Indiana
Cleaned up a little, organized a little, threw the Flying V ratchet in the ultra sonic cleaner. It’s baking right now. When I get back, it’ll be taken apart and cleaned/greased. If it performs well, then it may be my extra “go-to” ratchet.
 

Bob Heine

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
10,722
Location
Boca Raton, Florida
Put in a outlet so could put my mustang and kawa 750 on tender jr's.
Kevkx125, I'm too lazy to open the hood every time I connect the Tender. I connected the ring terminal cable end to the battery and ran the plug out through the grille.
attachment.php


The plug connects to the brick from outside the car. In the event I forget to unplug it, it unplugs itself as I drive away (yeah, I tested that feature a couple of times).
attachment.php


When the Tender is unplugged, the socket (with cap installed) tucks into the grille. Your Mustang should have a similar spot up front and a zip-tie to something can keep it from falling out of reach.
attachment.php


It even works on my Corvette where the battery isn't mounted up front.
attachment.php


The only vehicle it doesn't work with is the Cadillac CTS-V because the battery is in the trunk and the jumper terminals are too far from the front grille. Maybe just drill a hole in the hood. :dunno:
 

Attachments

  • Battery Tender 1.jpg
    Battery Tender 1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 472
  • Battery Tender 3.jpg
    Battery Tender 3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 471
  • Battery Tender 2.jpg
    Battery Tender 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Battery Tender 7.jpg
    Battery Tender 7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 471

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
Started with a couple side scoops for a Yamaha VMax motorcycle which previously had been painted a hideous black semi-gloss, and which were scarred considerably. Rustoleum aircraft paint remover, several applications, finally got them mostly-clean. I used a fine wire brush in a 4-1/2" side grinder to remove the stubborn stuff, but decided I didn't like the way the wire brush was working the aluminum of the scoops.

I tried some #400 wet-or-dry sandpaper by hand. That seemed to help with the wire brush marks. Then I broke-out a d-a and used #800, which was much quicker than the hand sanding. It did a good job and things started to look more-even.

I have a vintage B & D two-head benchtop buffer w/muslin wheels, and started to use the white stick, and spent some time on the scoops. That gave some decent results, but I think I'm about ready to price-out having them finished professionally. It's not going to be show-quality, I just want them to be uniform and smooth. If the prices I get-back are above my budget, I'll probably just paint them. More polishing might make the paint not have enough 'tooth' to stick, I'm thinking.

I'm not a pro metalworker or mechanic, just a hobbyist staying busy in the garage with a project.
 

Attachments

  • VMax scoops dirty.jpeg
    VMax scoops dirty.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 94
  • VMax scoops half polished.01.jpg
    VMax scoops half polished.01.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 110
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom