To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What did you do "IN" your garage today?

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Just an FYI - I picked up a used grill guard for my truck and decided to spray it with rustoleum bed liner ( rattle can ) to hide the rust better. I had NOTHING but problems with the spray cans. wouldn't spray right . keep clogging . etc. wish I had just bought the quart and used a roller and brush.

I've used both but I do think I kept a paper towel and periodically wiped the nozzle. I have a partial spray can but a quart and roller maybe a wise choice.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Jazz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
4,198
Location
Thunder Bay On.
Made seat risers for my old Toyota truck. These seats sit very low from factory. Seat risers are sold on eBay for a Kings ransom. Made these with 2” tube stock for drivers side seat
Finding 3” metric bolts in my shop took the most time. Had to make one.
 

Attachments

  • 0D62BC64-E88B-42E3-A9AF-A8C133709B6C.jpg
    0D62BC64-E88B-42E3-A9AF-A8C133709B6C.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 102

welder4956

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
3,126
Location
Birmingham, AL USA
Replaced the wipers on the wife's Expedition, drained the garden hoses and put them away for the winter, aired up the tires on the riding mower so I could mulch the leaves, pulled the boat out to winterize the engine and put it back in the garage, drank a couple of cups of coffee in between all that and listened to a few Led Zeppelin tunes.
 

BMWBOB

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2018
Messages
274
Location
Washington State
Finally had a warmer day to get my "free" freestanding gas heater stove installed. Its an older but nice QuadraFire model. First I converted it to propane (dealer kit) from NG (done it before, both ways, with various appliances). Got it installed with piping through the wall (sounds easy, it wasn't) with a wall thimble and horizontal cap and used duravent pipe that I got with the stove. I attached a 100# bottle to it to test it - has a 2 stage regulator on the bottle with appropriate flow/pressure.

The pilot lights and stays lit. When I turn the gas on it lights right up - for about 20 seconds, then the pilot feebles out and so does the main burner. If I take the glass front off it stays lit - at least for 20 minutes. When I replaced the glass - with the stove operating, it shut off with in about 20 seconds.

I'm stumped! Anybody got any ideas? I suspect it is an air mixture issue....
 

niget2002

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
11,595
Location
Josephine, TX
Was using my bandsaw and discovered that the thrust bearings are finally going out.

I used some time Saturday to take the upper and lower guides apart and ordered replacement bearings. Used the wire wheel to clean up all the crusty surfaces.

The adjustments will hopefully not require a wrench anymore.

Today I finished burning some Texas shaped coasters for my wife. They were cut on my cnc and then burned on the laser. 03df6e2ca428335eb35d94792e88a57e.jpgb59dd0c8ce3396b3a5f04dcf35699131.jpga83ada0734b9a12086d46fa429eb7c55.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • a83ada0734b9a12086d46fa429eb7c55.jpg
    a83ada0734b9a12086d46fa429eb7c55.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • b59dd0c8ce3396b3a5f04dcf35699131.jpg
    b59dd0c8ce3396b3a5f04dcf35699131.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 03df6e2ca428335eb35d94792e88a57e.jpg
    03df6e2ca428335eb35d94792e88a57e.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 0

Motorman55

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2016
Messages
2,710
Location
South Jersey
Did some cleaning around the garage and clearing away all the stuff that got dumped on the 5' and 4' workbenches.

Put the old battery from my Chevy truck on charge for a few hours. Noted the voltage and will check tomorrow to see if it holds the charge.
 

harley jim

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2013
Messages
11,440
Location
Cleveland Tn..........out in the sticks
Finally had a warmer day to get my "free" freestanding gas heater stove installed. Its an older but nice QuadraFire model. First I converted it to propane (dealer kit) from NG (done it before, both ways, with various appliances). Got it installed with piping through the wall (sounds easy, it wasn't) with a wall thimble and horizontal cap and used duravent pipe that I got with the stove. I attached a 100# bottle to it to test it - has a 2 stage regulator on the bottle with appropriate flow/pressure.

The pilot lights and stays lit. When I turn the gas on it lights right up - for about 20 seconds, then the pilot feebles out and so does the main burner. If I take the glass front off it stays lit - at least for 20 minutes. When I replaced the glass - with the stove operating, it shut off with in about 20 seconds.

I'm stumped! Anybody got any ideas? I suspect it is an air mixture issue....
Not sure but my wood burner does the same thing if I shut the door. It's an air thing.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
 

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Planed some hard wood strips and glued them up. Trying to make a cutting board for the first time.
 

56vette461

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2013
Messages
498
Location
Northern California
Not in the garage, but definitely needed my tools. I installed 80 feet of gutter guard covers on the house rain gutters. Wouldn't be so bad if the roofing material weren't cement tiles. They are heavy and the edges eat your hands and arms as your working. I do like the gutter guard material and it looks clean when installed.
 

FANTM58

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2015
Messages
575
Location
Brighton, Co
I drug this home and cleaned it up, played with it a enjoyed a few beers...
I found it at a local estate sale on Friday, I waited for this morning
To pick it up with my son,, I needed his help and I was hoping the snow
Would melt a bit where we had to move it through the back yard and up a hill.
It was a total *****...but she made it home in the 2 pieces she broke down to...
 

Attachments

  • BCAE9DFB-BF45-4C48-9E01-12A3FD2235F2.jpg
    BCAE9DFB-BF45-4C48-9E01-12A3FD2235F2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 172

glider

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
2,451
Location
Flint Michigan
I drug this home and cleaned it up, played with it a enjoyed a few beers...
I found it at a local estate sale on Friday, I waited for this morning
To pick it up with my son,, I needed his help and I was hoping the snow
Would melt a bit where we had to move it through the back yard and up a hill.
It was a total *****...but she made it home in the 2 pieces she broke down to...

That is a nice piece, it was worth the effort.:thumbup:
 

d19h

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
49
Location
NC
Spent the weekend working on my 2009 Mini Cooper S. Replaced the water pump, water pump pulley wheel, serpentine belt, thermostat (#6) and the timing chain tensioner. Still need to replace the valve cover gasket, but at least the gravel in a box noise is gone.
 

dw1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2015
Messages
1,335
Location
Ky
Thanksgiving # 1 was a success yesterday, had a fire in the wood stove in the barn, finally figured out how to stream a football game in my barn (Yay me!!)
All was well until the end of the evening, my 18 month old grandson was walking into the kitchen, stopped, looked and started with projectile vomit, he threw up all over the dog twice, the poor dog didn't know what to do. Hopefully we all do not come down with the stomach bug, poor little guy, I feel for him.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0097(2).jpg
    IMG_0097(2).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 171
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

k-os

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
995
Location
WI
Got the butcher block pieces cut to length, sanded, and test fit in the bar I'm building in the basement. Next step is to get them sealed and then installed so I can get the trim fitted up.

704lVjGukdi76tqvGKChySPnUE9aG9w-tYMOHL70UrSoo3eDhWhENdQ0TLV7dXuEcf7ekwaFThHI4HJkmQFpKpAONbF0_f0sp-hbHcleP8aQ6BrftQjOUftt76lprUPB6ue0-dwUR1WBqrqzlDJQDV_ukQfWUiB8j-t97aPshtibvPt_bpPr5bYkLSDjL4ARWZuDJML-5j3L53eWW-e-1vhIh58vC_S-mmqQOt-dv7Nx1IYxD3_8CvJ5yy3IrlXdmSA5PtkY1Ug1zRknFia010Fe__66GRjOoDJ3jLXzXXsh3vyhY6q-Y4e8U8IkJA7VB9y4PbdS5pHNubl7155lrOZgm1L6v_9xF8IG9A8RwU3dgS_ouRMijiySj6GcgPuX3l2-iTBEBtGmXDmCqKdc03JAMSYWOUGUXpMByKIgiG86wi_onPmFXobecjHAyD65AmEolX3uEa-8f7gOD9Y90HDsx8_4v4nzDA0X_WZrhdxvjp3Un1K65T-kyZGbwLOvaoRL7dqqRlNYiMYT32fvCPlNmgjLpdpL3WvarnovF_fv2GrxyI0L3-Exan5CPWnfKn1Hpgra__6LxWeCHvUnBgsftuJ67TYqS4KsmZcecz0L3bsnjvkchqFUvTi6dVAQO4yO6d8sGhM-1XhPdAVhCOyTyC7q7l29R3Q3llTphfqKM1ZPpZaSQJI=w1410-h800-no


_Zjfjh3hDyJfmF_hsFL0qspglkNVLaLT6176oP72n321ie-fABY894pPE6jU3HcThyUrna0HdF7jcOdDpE4UDwsECV3308ChFe-uG8kxYUw90zxNeixr5gcb5LtCZ9qQ44hAoYM_QHr-mx924G4_bTgcMiBRUGwn1OF5B7NDWLu0HwrpLrcayuFtNokYOHUTBaZeJh5BiY8Zrg6-Uii8_amc8HXulS39nFdbRcdwEGS24iEq5Nr2jV9TKbK3o4dCTfFUSBW02kBNOlj0Y7xWkqZGRcttWmsbl7JmlFbhwD0mU7ZhC3LJeFuMQ12bc3DsjKg9fAYQARy1jqed6HgTtfk0vTfds1cd3tTdUQrsw7eZbGcX5LlwuPDsHmVQjArpYKzigRLkZfsXrD-BTuCVWXHnJS2LsU1Qb3TDCiAqfiUT6kS8C_TIAozecXAYiiPb8hPercza-4CIazm9EpZ8voUQLzHNCtDLe_iFRCjxR5WFZy0jqqKNNR-pDLL5e8kGAb0NWQr9KOinogD4nfYlozlkzgAF0k7TtRx1u4wzmwzAd9bjw_yoBaP51ldmpN5XbaGPKCcxYBLbk0eBsa4lmp_oS6wS1yxl6Wv4uthqLtIzm2G-KviQniPXNrn1Ecs5k2wdcGQ5Jv4mhOGUBWRvkAGHRhj-aZbIMtMpV1bz7DKQ7GavAjX_DWg=w793-h800-no
 

Whca

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2019
Messages
18
Location
North Carolina
1) started soaking hardware from dads early 60s tool box in vinegar to remove rust, 2) removed trim from front of the tool box drawers & soaked with WD40 before using steel brush, 3) started to rough up the drawers for painting and removed the lock from front of box, key is lost.

Youngest daughters boyfriend helped me complete construction on a new work bench and sanded exterior of the tool box last Friday.
 

isb cornbinder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
7,072
Location
Pacific South West, BC, Canada
I measured up some shop spaces and made a plan to move a few machines. I hope to make better use of my floor-space.
After looking long and hard at my 16-120 Southbend Lathe, I have decided to offer it for sale on Craigslist. I have lots of chucks and other accessories to go with it. I figure $900cdn is a fair price.
 

Attachments

  • SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg
    SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

needshave

Member
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
9
Weld, all day. Mig welding wrought iron fence for my Victorian house. It’s a long heavy and tedious job.


Sent from my iPhone using Garage Journal
 

jonshonda

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
4,760
Location
Wisconsin
With the colder weather and unheated garage (GJ sin I know...I know!!) I have shifted most operations to the basement. With that being said, I put a few hours in with some files to get the swivel jaw on my Prentiss No. 22 spinning smooth. I was able to use chalk to find the contact points and file them down.
 

Carter240

Active member
Joined
Sep 23, 2015
Messages
30
I made some ugly cabinets pretty. Then had to test fit them and got carried away. These all have to come down in a few weeks for drywall but I like the layout a lot more. I have a third cabinet to hang on the opposite wall.

heRRxz.jpg


0Z65XD.jpg
 

Carter240

Active member
Joined
Sep 23, 2015
Messages
30
Thanks! Had to slog through the boring stuff (electrical, insulation, heat) but it's starting to get fun now.
 

ddawg16

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
21,005
Location
S. California
It must be butcher block month.

My neighbor up the street is redoing her kitchen and she was tossing out an island she had...it had an almost 'in perfect shape' butcher block top....48" x 30". I latched on to that *****. Though it was a slight battle with the wife....she saw it and wanted it....but I got it first.

Anyway, my old outfeed for the table saw was in pretty poor shape. I took it off and adapted the butcher block.

In the first photo you can see the back side of my custom table saw stand. One of the features I did I wished I had done a lot sooner. I have quad AC outlets on both sides. I use the dog **** out of them. I also have the dust collector underneath.....and I use my shop vac to **** the sawdust. It's power is tied to the table saw.

If you look at the bottom of the legs you will see two back plates. These are for my lifting castors. Love them. The kit is from Rockler....the castors slide onto the plate and then I can lift the table and roll it around. I use the same castors for my welding table. One set of castors....a set of plates for each item I want to lift.

All I need now is some hinges so I can swing the outfeed down....
 

Attachments

  • TableSawOutfeed.jpg
    TableSawOutfeed.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 99
  • TableSawBackSide.jpg
    TableSawBackSide.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 95

isb cornbinder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
7,072
Location
Pacific South West, BC, Canada
This is a butcher block!
It is about 400 pounds or 182 kilograms of solid end-grain hard-rock maple.
I like cold rolled steel for work-bench tops, for all of the right reasons.
 

Attachments

  • CHOPPING BLOCK.jpg
    CHOPPING BLOCK.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 111

DeeDubz

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
1,467
Location
Socal
Shored up my cheap cabinet from home depot thats over stuffed. The bottom shelf fell on my chainsaw. I had some old lumber laying around.
 
Last edited:

mrobins297aaa

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
3,283
Location
south east michigan
took the FEL off the Kubota for the winter, put some stakes in along side the drive way so I can find it when it snows, went and got the snow blade from behind the barn, planned on putting it on but it got late and the dogs needed to be feed.....so that is tomorrows project
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20191126_163145574_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191126_163145574_HDR.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20191126_170812188.jpg
    IMG_20191126_170812188.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20191126_173650206.jpg
    IMG_20191126_173650206.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 135
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom