To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What is this piece of hardware called?

Chris_Hamilton

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
1,023
Can anyone tell me what this is called? It slips over the bolt in the picture and is secured by a set screw.

bringatrailer.com-wp-content-uploads-2022-12-2016_bugatti_lighted-sign_20221228_112056-55915-s...jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
C

Chris_Hamilton

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
1,023
Thanks all for the replies. I figured it out. It's a part of standoff for wall mounting a large sign. What I have in the picture is only half of the standoff which is what was confusing me.

Thanks again for the replies.:)
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

nadogail

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
32,457
Location
Coronado, CA
I would call a Stand-off for mounting a sign to a wall a “SPACER” in past years I have made them from either Pipe or Tube, depending on the size and weight of the mounted items. I have also seen spacers made from plastic or hardwood.
 
OP
C

Chris_Hamilton

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
1,023
I would call a Stand-off for mounting a sign to a wall a “SPACER” in past years I have made them from either Pipe or Tube, depending on the size and weight of the mounted items. I have also seen spacers made from plastic or hardwood.
Difference between a standoff and a spacer is that the standoff is threaded on one or two ends. In my case one end.

Here is an example.
 

nadogail

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
32,457
Location
Coronado, CA
OP
C

Chris_Hamilton

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
1,023
A Stand Off can also be a situation where two parties of opposing opinions avoid taking action because they fear the unacceptable response and assured reaction to any thing you might reasonably be expected to do.
I'm confused. Is this an attempt at humor or is it mocking me? I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I was clarifying the difference between the two. Spacer would work if you were going through the sign with the mounting hardware, but in this case it's blind mounted. I have to mount a threaded stud to the wall and then thread the thing in my pic above to it. Then hang the sign on them and tighten the set screws.
I'll shut up now. :)
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom