To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What tools to own before you discover you need them?

Mille

New member
Joined
Dec 4, 2015
Messages
2
Location
N Dallas
Generally, I go buy a tool when I hit a snag in the middle of a project. However, I've heard it said that you should "Own a plunger before you need a plunger."

What other tools or items would you folk consider essential to own before discover you need them? Off the top of my head, I think a magnetic pick-up tool falls into this category, as do spare shop rags and trash bags.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

619DioFan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
3,617
Location
San Diego , Ca.
In the spirit of GJ you should own 4 of every tool known to mankind:lol_hitti

All kidding aside and since I don't know what level of repairs you do I will list some tools that have saved my backside more than once ( automotive related )

Good tap and die set ( met and sae ) plus a thread restore set

Set of sockets to remove stripped lug nuts and locking lug nuts when the key is missing.

Big pry bar ( min 36 inch , 48 is better ) I also have a 6 foot digging bar on hand for really big prying jobs. also some good bfh's

Mig welder ( if welding is in your skill set )

Big breaker bar ( I have several 40 inch ones that are problem solvers )

16 inch channel locks

Bearing press

This is just a short list and I am sure others will chime in but these items are things I have on hand that have been used many times to get me out of a jam when the car needs to be back on the road in the morning so I can get to work , earn the money to buy even more tools. Thanks GJ:thumbup:
 

engineer2

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
11,893
Location
Chicago burbs
^^^Agree.
If you do any electrical/electronic work:
A nice crimper/stripper for wire terminals.
A decent soldering iron.
A multi-meter
An outlet tester

Automotive:
OBDII tester (cheap bluetooth one is fine)

Plumbing:
tubing cutter
propane torch

General: Dremel tool kit
 

rrich1

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2015
Messages
793
Dremel, chisels, good socket tool set, set of pry bars, and clamps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

toolaholic

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
2,123
Location
PA
Hook and pick set. Punches.0 degree offset wrench, deep offset wtenches, slide hammer
 

bczygan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
22,002
Location
DETROIT! Arsenal of Scrappers
Two ways to look at this.

One is to always be buying tools and equipment that allow you to delve deeper into the work than you do at the present.

If your present method for vehicle repair is to kick the offending part with your foot, then the next step would be to buy a BFH. Then you can up your game next time by beating the hell out of it with that.

The other method is to always keep your work well within the bounds of your available kit. If you lack electrical tools, then don't mess with electrical things until you do.

The final answer is that you need everything to be able to do everything.

The further you are in time and distance, from available tools, the more acute the lack of the right tools becomes. You always find you need something you don't have, in the way of tools or parts, is late on a Sunday evening, with bad weather coming, and you need the vehicle for work in the morning.

Bill
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

disston

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
943
Location
Silver Spring, Md
Don't know if this is mentioned here very often or not. I'm still kinda new.

Shop Manual

I work on my own motorcycle and my own car. For the 2009 Ford Crown Victoria i also have the Wiring Manual.
 

Jeremy77

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
602
Location
Coastal Alabama
If your home is plumbed with PEX and you plan on being in it, I'd suggest a PEX crimping tool. Preferably one with interchangeable jaw inserts.
 

four.cycle

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
30,057
Location
Tacoma, Washington
vise grips.

good credit so you can always buy more tools. :thumbup:

edit:
yeah.. and a big *** pry bar. I have an 18" Herbrand I got at a garage sale for a buck, a 5-foot pinch-point bar, and a big 6-footer too. no such thing as "too big" a pry bar.
 
Last edited:

SweetD

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2010
Messages
3,268
Location
Rhode Island
Don't know if this is mentioned here very often or not. I'm still kinda new.

Shop Manual

I work on my own motorcycle and my own car. For the 2009 Ford Crown Victoria i also have the Wiring Manual.

disston - welcome to the GJ forum!

And I agree with you on the shop / service manual for any given vehicle.

It's funny though, isn't it...most of us here on the GJ site are willing and able to read and interpret a service manual...but many, many people just can't do it...!

Different strokes I guess... :beer:

Dave
 

KraftwerkMk1Jetta

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
812
Location
Long Valley, NJ
A seal and bearing driver kit. Using sockets to press or drive in seals or bearings/races might get you by, but to have a nice kit with various sizes makes a big difference. I have a Blue Point one and a Lisle one. They're just machined pieces of aluminum so they're very similar.
 

Seppala

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 2, 2014
Messages
731
Location
North Fork of Long Island, N.Y.
After having the luxury of paying mechanics to work on my cars for the last 25 years I'm back to wrenching. My auto mechanic tools were reading to rock on any 60's or 70's Chevy. Today's cars offer such limited space to work in that flex head ratcheting wrenches and a 1/4 inch air drive socket wrench have been absolute nessesities.
 

djjsr

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
4,797
Location
In the cornfields
An oscillating multi-tool. Got a good deal, so I bought it not knowing what I would ever use it for. I've since used it MANY times and it made many jobs quicker and easier.
 

pi_guy

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
2,858
Location
N/A
The problem with this question is the answers start to approach infinity. There is always some tool you gonna need. It is like asking a group of AA members what is the best drink....
 

four.cycle

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
30,057
Location
Tacoma, Washington
pi_guy said:
The problem with this question is the answers start to approach infinity.

true, but it is kind of interesting to see what guys are tossing out there.

of course, the bottom line is that if you really want to be prepared for any job, you have to own every tool that was ever invented, or be able to do some creative improvisation.
 

cliftonbros89

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
3,009
Location
Missouri
I second the pullers, crow foot wrenches, big pry bar and vise grips. I'd recommend a good extractor set as well. I'd say ratchet wrenches too.
 

kctyphoon

Banned
Joined
Jun 9, 2014
Messages
9,102
Location
Jersey/Staten Island
i also vote a tap and die set.. i bought one of the HF ones that has both metric and sae, (had great reviews) and also came with a thread identification key.. finally used it a few week ago when the threads from 2 of the bolts i removed from my car's taillights got messed up.. first time they were removed as i upgraded all the lighting in my car to LED. what could have been a PITA turned into a 10 minute fix..
 

dodge610

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
5,467
Location
North Canton Ohio
i also vote a tap and die set.. i bought one of the HF ones that has both metric and sae, (had great reviews) and also came with a thread identification key.. finally used it a few week ago when the threads from 2 of the bolts i removed from my car's taillights got messed up.. first time they were removed as i upgraded all the lighting in my car to LED. what could have been a PITA turned into a 10 minute fix..

Say what they want about those HF tap and die sets they still get the job done. I have a set that has saved me numerous times.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom