To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

wireing new outlet to military generator

oklahomabob

Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2015
Messages
8
Hi all, first post. I have a military mep 016d diesel 3 kw generator. I bought a inlet panel on the web it has 4 120v inlets and a 120/208 4 prong twist in outlet. The wiring colors red,blk,blue,grey,grn. I have ran the red and black together hot. The grey to neutral, green to ground and blue not wired, capped off. I believe the red and blue are for 220v . Have I hooked it up wrong :confused:
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Slowgsr

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 14, 2014
Messages
610
Location
Southern ontario
Yes - 208 is a 3ph voltage, what are the specs on your genny?

Youd need to match phase number to your genny unless its just 120v in which case your neutrals would be unbalanced terribly. Im sure your panel can be rewired to work with your generator by someone who knows what their doing
 

Slowgsr

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 14, 2014
Messages
610
Location
Southern ontario
On your generator output you should have black/white(maybe grey) and green

On the cord for your inlet panel tie black/blue/red together and connect that to the black of your generator. Then white-white and green-green

Do not use the 120/208v outlet on your transfer panel as you dont have 208 so it wont work properly
 

Rookie2

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2013
Messages
1,925
Location
Western Pa.
I'm hooking it up to transfer switch in house. do not need 3 phase or 220


You need to stop and determine what generator voltage you have. If its wired as 3 phase 208volt then you have three 1000 watt 120v outputs that only one can be used as 120v single phase unless you have the generator rewired (this is probably doable) You can use two legs and use 120/208v to feed a home panel. 2000 watts .
 
OP
O

oklahomabob

Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2015
Messages
8
the leads from gen 4 on lugs 4 of the leadsL0 ,l1,L2,lL3,L4 for 120v single phase , 120 v3 phase , 120/208v 220, 220v my transfer switch is reliance 31406 6 circuit with 30 amp inlet box. no 9 leads just red,blk.gry,blu. grey,grn the generator is a military mep016d 3kw all I want to knowis a single phase 120v wiring thanks guys for helping me
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
O

oklahomabob

Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2015
Messages
8
L1 and L2 is 120v The new out let box is 4 120v 1 120/208 twist plug 4 prong. I don,t now where the blue red wires go from gen I know grey is grnd the hot is what and the neutral is what I have too many wires only want 120 single phase.
 

TheEquineFencer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
9,278
Location
Farmville, NC 27828
L1 and L2 is 120v The new out let box is 4 120v 1 120/208 twist plug 4 prong. I don,t now where the blue red wires go from gen I know grey is grnd the hot is what and the neutral is what I have too many wires only want 120 single phase.

You need to be looking at the wires that originate at the generator end and see if it's reconnectable. The 4 wires u are talking about come from a connection/junction block. "upstream" from that is where you reconnect for different voltages. Single phase is 120/240 (1)Ph for a normal house. meaning you have two "hots" a "N" and a "GRD".

There should be a diagram inside the cover on the generator.
 

TheEquineFencer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
9,278
Location
Farmville, NC 27828
Hi all, first post. I have a military mep 016d diesel 3 kw generator. I bought a inlet panel on the web it has 4 120v inlets and a 120/208 4 prong twist in outlet. The wiring colors red,blk,blue,grey,grn. I have ran the red and black together hot. The grey to neutral, green to ground and blue not wired, capped off. I believe the red and blue are for 220v . Have I hooked it up wrong :confused:


oklahomabob, LOL.....why don't you go back and read some of these??? It looks like you already have all the info you need, you just need to apply it or just give up and take it to someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139623

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140246

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140371
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom