To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Yank That Stud: A Titan Tools Love Story

To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Hey Bull

I may have missed it, but from where did you source this tool from?

Amazon, my good man. It might be discontinued; the seller was almost out of them, and a few other places online showed OOS as well.
 

Maexle

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
900
Location
https://t.me/pump_upp
Amazon, my good man. It might be discontinued; the seller was almost out of them, and a few other places online showed OOS as well.

after seen your thread, i've just ordered one from Summit via Amazon, received it today, can't wait to try it out (well, wait, actually i hope i never need it...)

Thanks Bull. :thumbup:
 

toolaholic

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
2,123
Location
PA
I ordered one too! Lisle's stud kit not cutting it for studs that are almost smooth w/ vert little thread left.
 

kd4gij

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
123
Location
St. Petersburg, Fl
Mines a Mayhew... Love it... Makes removing Ford modular exhaust studs a lot easier.

20130314_144208.jpg

How does the Mayhew work on 1/4-20 bolts I just tryed the Titan and it does not grip that size aat all even though it clames to.
 

Murphy4570

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
2,821
Location
West Deptford NJ
Huh, that's interesting.

I usually weld a nut on to those broken studs. Then I heat the flange around it up to cherry red with a cutting torch, and they come right out with a ratchet.
 

nicksnothereman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
3,608
Location
In the Mojave
The few tools by Titan that I have purchased have all been of excellent quality.

Recently, I found myself needing to remove two broken studs from a pair of exhaust manifolds for my '95 Roadmaster wagon. I had used one of those old skool concentric stud pullers to remove four out of six successfully, but two snapped and made me grimace. BTW, those concentric pullers are bulky and awkward!

Now, I know that a real garage junkie would have a red wrench to get the job done. I do not, so I had to look for other options and was afraid I'd have to pay my mechanic to heat them out, ultimately.

I found these stud extractors sold by Titan:
100_8422_zps5cf3e10b.jpg


There are identical looking versions out there by Mann and Mayhew. I'm not sure if any of them are rebadges.

Anyway, this thing is seriously awesome.

Here is a pic of the worst manifold. There is actually more of a stub sticking up on this one, but the corrosion around the stud is so bad, it looked like stud and manifold flange were one monolithic piece.
100_8416_zps0cae03f8.jpg



I started with this stud, using a 3/8 120 tooth Gearwrench ratchet and an old Blue Point impact driver to work the tool. The stud wouldn't give. So, I went to the other manifold and while it fought me, the stud did break free and come out. So, I went back to the first manifold and tried again. By this time, the stud stub was pretty chewed up and I was basically sure it was going to snap, or that the extractor wouldn't be able to get a decent grip anymore. But using the impact driver to help seat the stub inside the tool's jaws, I did get a good grip. I put the impact down after a while and went to the ratchet. I had switched to a Craftsman Premium because I realized that the handle shape is about a million times more comfortable to put big torque into than the Gearwrench. Finally, I felt something give. I was sure that the stud was snapping, but when I looked at the other side I could see it had begun to break away from its rusty tomb.

Before the stud began to move. See how it's like one solid mass of corrosion?
100_8417_zps03b55d1a.jpg


Success!
100_8420_zpsd77b9ece.jpg


100_8421_zps8ecbe9a0.jpg


100_8423_zps27529a31.jpg


100_8424_zps6dabd8c7.jpg


100_8426_zps8a9ff810.jpg



I should note that I had been hosing these things with Kroil for a week since snapping them off. But, the rust was so solid I don't think Kroil was actually penetrating much of anything.

This tool has earned a spot in my box forever. I'll probably pick up another one, just because it saved me from a lot of frustration and has earned my respect.

Looks very useful. Did you try heat before the kroil? That would turn your week into about 15 minutes.:D Gotta do it man.
 

Jswain

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Messages
2,470
Location
Calgary, AB
Cool looking tool! Another tip for something like that for someone who doesn't have a welder or a torch would be to drill it from the back with a 1/8" bit, it will usually heat it up enough to spin it out the front. If you can't get at it from the back left-handed drill bits come in handy to pull it back out.
 

Danglerb

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
9,736
Location
SoCal
Mayhew around $50 says "made in USA"

All look about the same to me, one UK seller on ebay has a no brand mentioned pair.

Impact quality in 3/8"D and 1/4"D and manufactured from Chrome Molybdenum for strength and durability
A robust pair of stud extractors for access in tight confined areas.
3/8"D extractor operates on studs from 6-12.5mm.
1/4"D extractor operates on studs from 2-7mm.
 

Bigplum

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
564
Location
Cotswolds England
I would have just put a gas blow torch on it, even a cheap torch would help, or two cheap torches , the heat seems to break the rust bond, it looks a handy tool but given the fastener sheared once under load ,odds on it'll do it again under stress
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

warweapon762

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2013
Messages
323
Titan is pretty awesome, I have one of their micro ratchets that is simply bad *** for getting in hard to reach areas. I will have to pick up this tool, thanks for the heads up.
 

themiller

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
4,805
Location
Seattle Suburbs
thanks Bull! Based on your review - putting one on the wishlist. Hopefully if I buy it before I need it, I will never need it!
 

rob0781

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
339
Location
Canada
I didnt know titan was good tools they sell then at princess auto (canadian harbor freight) dirt cheap.
 

metaldad

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
7,775
Location
nw indiana
coincidence? that this thread resurfaced.
just busted a coupla studs on a machine.
O'Reilly's carries them. just ordered over the phone, hopefully, the store will receive from their warehouse, tomorrow, 1/1/14.
 

dledinger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
345
That's pretty impressive tool. Heat from a torch or welding a nut on always works for me, but sure nice to know something like that is out there for when the circumstances call for it.

To be honest, I would have walked by that thing without ever giving it a passing glance.
 

metaldad

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
7,775
Location
nw indiana
used today. after spritzing all week with kroil. needed heat also.
used a 1/2 sliding tee to 'balance' the tugging. man, they were stubborn, but, we were successful.
great tool! thanks, Bull, for mentioning this device. I will buy a few more to (mis) place
 

kenburkholz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
241
I have used the old standard stud removers ever since I can remember, but this remover needs a lot less exposed stud. That is a great idea. If this tool works as it looks like it does, then the coo shouldn't matter. If it was made in Hell i could forgive it, Ken.
 

toufue_yang17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Messages
196
Well i will give this tool a shot. I've been battling my broken bolt on the my front subframe. I've tried a few stud remover tools with no luck. I'vetried welding a nut but my welder was not good enough. HHopefully this will do the trick.
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
I have an anxiety attack if I am any farther than about 50 ft from a torch set. I have a hard time changing a set of wipers without one and would come to a complete stall working on cars.
 

eljaro

Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
11
Location
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
this same tool is manufactured (or imported) by Franklin, Sheffield, UK.
I bought one because I needed to remove rusted exhaust header to manifold studs. No way of getting heat there, as in many applications. Forget the torch in a car. Fuel and electrics are a NoNo when using torches.
I use often a heat gun, heating up the exterior area of the parts and then spraying penetrating oil with freeze effect in the central area. Has worked even on seized aluminum parts.
But this chuck type tool seems to be the part in tight corners, like in my case, having to get to the stud from under the car with several extensions and having to bypass frame tubes and engine parts.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom